ECV on Disney Dream?

erikjscott

Earning My Ears
Has anyone gone on the Disney Dream with an ECV? Is it very difficult to get around? I know the cruises can be crowded in tight spaces. Concerned about the dining rooms, the hallways, the rooms, any of the shows (both outside and inside).

We would have a handicap accessible room.

I have seen them on other cruise lines and I will say that the people on them were very frustrated. This is for Princess, Carnival, Celebrity and Royal.

The halls were tight, saw some struggling to get in and out of the stateroom door and even in the dining areas.

Hallways are tight, especially the stateroom hallways. People who leave things in the hall make that even more difficult. Housekeeping carts can be moved easily, if you don't see a stateroom host they are in a room near the cart so maybe call out. Other items like strollers or ECVs left in the hall are annoying because it causes a challenge.

Some doors, particularly doors to the outside decks, can be hard to pull open while on an ECV.

If you/your family member will need to use the ECV in the main dining rooms, I suggest having your reservation noted for that, and also check with "dining changes" the first afternoon to make sure it will be accessible. Otherwise some of the pathways through the dining rooms are tight between tables.

At the shows in the Walt Disney Theater, you should be able to arrive early and be taken in a side door for accessible seating areas. Arrive a little extra early the first night and ask the CM.

It's good you have an HA room booked! Regular stateroom doorways are usually not wide enough for most ECVs to enter.

Are you looking for excursions? Depending on destination those can be hard to find something accessible.

Hallways are tight, especially the stateroom hallways. People who leave things in the hall make that even more difficult. Housekeeping carts can be moved easily, if you don't see a stateroom host they are in a room near the cart so maybe call out. Other items like strollers or ECVs left in the hall are annoying because it causes a challenge.

Some doors, particularly doors to the outside decks, can be hard to pull open while on an ECV.

If you/your family member will need to use the ECV in the main dining rooms, I suggest having your reservation noted for that, and also check with "dining changes" the first afternoon to make sure it will be accessible. Otherwise some of the pathways through the dining rooms are tight between tables.

At the shows in the Walt Disney Theater, you should be able to arrive early and be taken in a side door for accessible seating areas. Arrive a little extra early the first night and ask the CM.

It's good you have an HA room booked! Regular stateroom doorways are usually not wide enough for most ECVs to enter.

Are you looking for excursions? Depending on destination those can be hard to find something accessible.
I’ve taken an EVC on the Dream twice and I totally agree with everything you’ve said. Also, entering and exiting the small, crowded elevators is challenging.

The one good thing about the doors on the ship is that I had very good luck with people quickly opening the doors for me.

A Disney cruise is definitely harder to navigate with a mobility device than a day in the Disney Parks.

Also, entering and exiting the small, crowded elevators is challenging.
Oh, yes, the elevators! Depending on the ship you may have better luck going to the far forward or far aft elevators instead of mid-ship. And going down to go up or vice versa.

I have taken my ECV on the Dream and have always had a HA room and I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem. I’ve been on the far aft and midship but I don’t recall any issues. If my room attendant was in the hall he would move the cart over or pull it into the rooms.
As for dining I always ask that my dining table is close the doors and on the aisle which has always been granted. They’ve given me the option of transferring to a chair or staying on my ECV and swinging the seat around to use as my chair. Elevators can be a challenge but the only time I became frustrated was after the muster drill when everyone was leaving at once. (Other sailings the CMs let me get a head start which was greatly appreciated.)
If you, or anyone, cruising with an ECV is new to driving-practice! I find it easier to back into elevators so I can just pull out on my floor.
I just returned from a RCCL cruise on one of their older ships and Disney seemed much easier for me to navigate. To be fair I’ve had more practice and more familiar with DCL.
Hopefully this helps and feel free to DM me if you have any further questions. You’ll have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter