ECV's on Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

carol1231

DVC Member '98: BWV, VWL, BCV
If this has been discussed, please point me in that direction.

For our upcoming trip in June, we are renting DMIL an ECV from Care Medical. We usually just rent the ones at the park, but decided that on this trip it would be nice to have one while outside of the parks for her. When I called to reserve it from Care Med, the man told me that all the Disney buses are equipped to take the ECV. Is that true?

yes it is. it does take a little practice to be able to park them on the bus though.

Thank you for your reply. I thought I'd read something that not every bus was equipped, so you had to wait for one to come that was. Since this will be our first time taking this on to a bus, does the driver help get the ECV on?

Hello, Carol.

I have only seen this, and not actually taken part. But the bus driver helps direct you to back it into the ramp/lift, and helps direct you to back it into a special place. Some of the buses had seats that would fold up. After correct parking, he helps attach the special seat belts to the ECV scooter.

There used to be many buses that did not have scooter elevator ramps, but I hear that they are introducing a lot of these special buses that lean down with a drive up ramp.

If the bus that came up did not have a ECV scooter ramp/lift, the driver would usually call dispatch and send one fairly quickly.

Good luck.

That sounds perfect. Thank you very much for the information!

All of the buses can carry 2 ECV/WC in them. The older buses have lifts and not all of them work the best all of the time. As the buses get replaced the are getting buses the have a ramp instead. The drivers will do their best at helpping you get on the lift/ramp and get into the space so the can strap the ECV down.
One tip for you is when you are waiting for the bus is to wait by the curb towards the rear of the bus. All of the ramps/lifts are in the back door. And if you wait away from the main line of people the driver will see you first so they can load you first. :cool1: :banana: :banana:

I rent an ECV while on vacation at WDW. I would definitely rent an ECV from an off site supplier. I have only rented from Walker Mobility & have been pleased each time.

I have used the busses to the parks. Initially I was hesitant, but the bus drivers were so friendly & very helpful. The bus driver usually closes the front door of the bus & lets the guest with the ECV on through the back door with a ramp. There are two types of busses. Once you & the ECV are loaded & secure, then other guests are allowed to board the bus.

Have fun & enjoy your trip!!

I'd like to add my two cents :)

When waiting out at a bus stop that services multiple buses, it's important to let the drivers know when you wish to board. All buses are equipped with large bright easy to read LED destination signs. When you see your bus coming, wave your hand, so that the driver knows you wish to board. This way, the driver knows to align the bus up to the specific markings. Optionally, you can nod your head "no" to let other drivers know that you're waiting for a different bus.

At the parks, or at certain resorts with specific load zones, bypass the queue lines, and wait near where the rear door of the bus will be.

100% of our fleet is wheelchair/scooter accessible, via lift or ramp. There are three styles of buses, each with a different way to board.

1 - The "RTS" bus. These are the older buses with the stairs. The rear door has a fold out lift that will extend out. We ask that you back the ECV onto the lift, however, per Federal Law, you may board in forwards if you wish. However, with the RTS, it's much easier to maneuver inside the bus if you back onto the lift. When the lift is flat with the floor, you just back straight up, and then sharply turn the wheel to bring the front end in.
4793b.jpg

2 - The "Nova" bus. These are low-floor buses, with extendable ramps in the rear door. Disney policy requires that any electric wheelchair or scooter must board this type of bus in reverse.
4850c.jpg

3 - The "Gillig" bus. These are brand new low-floor buses, with fold out type ramps in the oversized rear door. Because these buses can kneel lower, and have longer ramps, Disney does allow guests to board in forward on this bus only. However, we still recommend going up in reverse if at all possible, because it is easier to park the scooter in the designated slot.
gillig1.jpg

gillig3.jpg

When maneuvering your ECV, remember, TURTLE SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND. Don't feel rushed, or pressured or anything. Take your time. You're on vacation, we have all the time in the world.

Once parked, if at all possible, we HIGHLY recommend transferring to a regular seat. Don't worry about the crowds, or taking up an extra seat. When on a bus with someone in the seat, scooters tend to have a high center of gravity. Since they don't have good tie down points, they have a tendancy to tip during corners. Your safety is #1 with us, so please, if possible, transfer to a regular seat. (Also, just an FYI, the majority if not all of the scooter companies prohibit riding the scooter while on the bus)

Tyler, thank you for friendly & inviting comments to those of us who use an ECV while at WDW. There are hundreds of little things that make the magic while at WDW & being treated well by transportation CMs is a BIG plus. THANK YOU!!

Tyler,
While this information is useful for those with rear control wheelchair it is not for those of us with center control wheels when our back wheels are the turning wheels. This makes backing up a ramp dangerous for us and we have been advised by the manufacturer NOT to back up a ramp. Disney can confirm this with Pride, the maker of the Jazzy line of power wheelchairs. Pls do not give Jazzy users a hassle when we say we will drive forward and not back up a ramp. I had one driver who was adamant that I must back up and when I refused he refused to board me. meanwhile I was being yelled at by guests to do what the driver told me and cussed out by them. I ended up in tears and demanded a supervisor but why should I have to go through this because the driver thinks he knows more about my wheelchair and how it should be manuvered. LISTEN to the user. We know our wheelchairs capibility.
I followed a drivers instructions once to back up. I ended up hurt because the chair started to go off the edge and another driver tried to stop me by grabbing the chair back. It went forward slamming my back and shoulder and I was in pain for the last 2 days of my trip. No way I will risk that again.
Also, in my case, because of my hearing loss, a driver trying talk to my back is useless. All I hear is a mumble not clear speech. I know he is talking but not what he is saying. And then they get mad because I can't folow their instructions. Do I need to wear a sign that says I am deaf (hard of hearing means nothing to the hearing as far as understanding) to be treated respectfully by bus drivers? All they seem to see is the wheelchair and they don't believe it when I say I can't understand them if I can't see them. BTW, my speech is clear as I am what they call late deafened.

Drivers need to:
1. look at where the turning wheels are on the wheelchair. If they are in the back then the wheelcahir needs to go forward up the ramp. Backwards is dangerous because the wheels wobble and we can't see the edges of the ramp backing up.

2.Listen the the user as the how that wheelchair needs to load. We do know the capibility of our wheelchair. We use it daily, You don't.
Also listen to use when we tell you where the areas are to hook to. We know that too. Don't act like a know it all, like some of the drivers.

3.If a person says they can't hear you if you are behind them talking believe them. I may know you are talking but have no clue what you are saying because I use visual clues to understand speech clearly and I may not have my hearing aids on. At Disney I probably will not. Don't let the fact I have clear speech fool you into thinking I have good hearing. I don't.

I hate to stereotype people but I find I have the most problems with young Latin male drivers. They have that machismo attitude that a woman can't tell them anything. They need to knock it off and remember that a wheelchair user knows their personal chair and what it can and cannot do. We also know where to place tiedowns on the chair.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
I'd like to add my two cents :)
2 - The "Nova" bus. These are low-floor buses, with extendable ramps in the rear door. Disney policy requires that any electric wheelchair or scooter must board this type of bus in reverse.
I really don't care what Disney policy is on this. This is dangerous in my power wheelchair and I will not do it. No way, no how. Disney cannot require to endanger my safety by doing this. Disney needs to revise this policy or provide me with SAFE transportation to the parks through another means in a timely manner. And that doesn't mean a long wait until they wear me down and I give in to their dangerous policy. It won't happen and I will be furious, especially of I miss interpreted shows because of it.

Talking Hands said:
Tyler,
While this information is useful for those with rear control wheelchair it is not for those of us with center control wheels when our back wheels are the turning wheels. This makes backing up a ramp dangerous for us and we have been advised by the manufacturer NOT to back up a ramp. Disney can confirm this with Pride, the maker of the Jazzy line of power wheelchairs. Pls do not give Jazzy users a hassle when we say we will drive forward and not back up a ramp. I had one driver who was adamant that I must back up and when I refused he refused to board me.

Unfortunetly, with the Nova bus, it is out of the drivers control. It is Disney policy that all electric scooters and wheelchairs MUST go up in reverse. All drivers must sign paperwork on this matter. If a specific mobility device cannot go in reverse up the ramp, then we are to call our dispatcher and request a different type of bus.

Don't get me wrong... I am on your side. I have argued till I was blue in the face on this matter with management. I have brought management out to speak with a guest, and SEE for themselves how certain types of mobility devices simply cannot board in reverse. My frustration with this matter was a good part of why I left buses to go to Pop Century.

However, the fact remains (as much as we might not like it) that this is Disney Policy, and drivers can get into serious trouble not excluding termination for violation of this policy.

The good news is that the new Gillig buses with the fold out ramp, guests ARE allowed to go in forward. We have 45 buses in service now, and I've heard rumors that we've ordered at least 25 more for 2005. The Nova buses are on lease, but I don't know when the lease is up, and when they'll be gone.

Then please NO NOVA buses to ALL STAR MUSIC from April 8-11! I am not going to be a happy person if I have to wait because of this and miss something I have planned because of an ill concieved policy that doesn't take into consideration the differences in drive mechanisms of various manufacturers. Pride Jazzy's should not be backed up a ramp and will not put myself in danger because of this policy. I should not be discrimated against because I use a Jazzy. This is just plain discrimination against Jazzy users.
Why should I have to wait until they can bring another bus for me. They aren't paying me for my lost time. I have a specific schedule I must follow to see shows. It is not like I can go into any show and get a complete experience. I went years without understanding the words to music until I realized that they had interpreters for shows but it is only 1 show performance of each show at that park a day. Miss it and too bad, you are out of luck. When they send a bus I can't use I end up missing what I come to Disney to see so this is a big deal to me.
And yes I have emailed guset services, but I doubt things will change by Friday. Guess I can expect lousy treatment this trip.

Talking Hands said:
I hate to stereotype people but I find I have the most problems with young Latin male drivers. They have that machismo attitude that a woman can't tell them anything. They need to knock it off and remember that a wheelchair user knows their personal chair and what it can and cannot do. We also know where to place tiedowns on the chair.

What a bigoted and racist comment. And coming from someone who is ranting about being stereotyped! Are you for real?

And, as Tyler pointed out to you, the drivers are only following policy, just trying to do their job without getting fired. For you to extrapolate anything else is narrow-minded and just plain dense.

Clearly you have been to WDW many times in the past, and since you have previously encountered an issue(s), why would you wait until just before your next visit to address, make your case?? If you are as passionate about this matter as you purport, you would have spent the energy and effort (certainly more than what you indicated) to rectify the situation, certainly not wait until 'the 11th hour'. 'Change', especially policy change, doesn't happen overnight, nor will it happen simply because You have such a righteousness and indignation about the matter. The world does not revolve around you, nor does the world owe you a "living." It's a pity you have missed and apparently continue to miss out on some things, but, if your general attitude and m.o. is anything like what you've displayed and described here, it's no wonder you continue to be frustrated and angry, cuz you surely don't court much compassion from others, and you reap what you sow. There are countless individuals who are disabled (as well as the caregivers of disabled) who must contend with their conditions, yet find a graceful and reasonable way to get their needs met without blaming everything and everybody in their path. Serendipity will shine on them.

If you are so disgruntled with Disney and find your experiences there to be so unsatisfying, why do you continue to patronize WDW? If you honestly believe that the company's policy(ies) are so egregious and/or that a bonafide violation of your rights has occurred, you should immediately hire a lawyer and channel your whining down a more productive avenue.

TT

Talking Hands said:
I have a specific schedule I must follow to see shows. It is not like I can go into any show and get a complete experience.

hi,
i've never done this, so i don't know if it would work, but--just a thought--since you know you're on a specific schedule in order to see specific shows, it it possible to call transportation an hour or so in advance of when you want to get from A to B and confirm that the right kind of bus will be available to take you, rather than leaving it to chance? i thought i remembered some posts awhile back about others who'd had bad experiences and were asked to call in advance to set up a ride. i know there's a lot of past history that seems like has left you quite (justifyably) angry, but perhaps a calm but firm and informative pre-emptive phone call after you've arrived might be helpful.
Here's lots of pixie dust for you and your trip * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Have a great time!

-dj

with the Nova bus, it is out of the drivers control. It is Disney policy that all electric scooters and wheelchairs MUST go up in reverse. All drivers must sign paperwork on this matter. If a specific mobility device cannot go in reverse up the ramp, then we are to call our dispatcher and request a different type of bus.

The good news is that the new Gillig buses with the fold out ramp, guests ARE allowed to go in forward. We have 45 buses in service now, and I've heard rumors that we've ordered at least 25 more for 2005.

Like Talking Hands, I also have trouble reversing up ramps because it is difficult to keep my power wheelchair running in a straight line in reverse on ramps. I am always in danger of running off the edge of the ramp when backing. My chair manufacturer advises going forward up ramps. Last trip I did reverse up a Nova ramp, but it took three goes to get in and everyone had to wait a long time for me. I nearly ran over the drivers feet because I couldn't see where I was going.

If this is a Disney rule, I shall abide by it next trip, but I will insist on another bus being called every time a Nova arrives.

Tyler: thanks for putting our case to management. What percentage of the fleet will be Novas by my next visit in October? I would guess there will not be many buses that I won't be able to get onto. BTW, I see from your photo that the Gilig has a nasty looking twist at the top of the ramp (the part with yellow & black stripes). My chair has a rigid frame and one of my wheels will certainly lift off the floor as I ride over it. I shall have to see how my chair copes.

Talking Hands: It isn't just Jazzys that have a problem, my Invacare (four wheels - drive wheels to rear, casters to front) doesn't like reversing up ramps either. My chair also had special tie down fixing points fitted. Despite pointing these out, with only one exception drivers ignored them and did their own thing. I have since had them removed.

Tinseltown Trauma said:
What a bigoted and racist comment. And coming from someone who is ranting about being stereotyped! Are you for real?

And, as Tyler pointed out to you, the drivers are only following policy, just trying to do their job without getting fired. For you to extrapolate anything else is narrow-minded and just plain dense.

Clearly you have been to WDW many times in the past, and since you have previously encountered an issue(s), why would you wait until just before your next visit to address, make your case?? If you are as passionate about this matter as you purport, you would have spent the energy and effort (certainly more than what you indicated) to rectify the situation, certainly not wait until 'the 11th hour'. 'Change', especially policy change, doesn't happen overnight, nor will it happen simply because You have such a righteousness and indignation about the matter. The world does not revolve around you, nor does the world owe you a "living." It's a pity you have missed and apparently continue to miss out on some things, but, if your general attitude and m.o. is anything like what you've displayed and described here, it's no wonder you continue to be frustrated and angry, cuz you surely don't court much compassion from others, and you reap what you sow. There are countless individuals who are disabled (as well as the caregivers of disabled) who must contend with their conditions, yet find a graceful and reasonable way to get their needs met without blaming everything and everybody in their path. Serendipity will shine on them.

If you are so disgruntled with Disney and find your experiences there to be so unsatisfying, why do you continue to patronize WDW? If you honestly believe that the company's policy(ies) are so egregious and/or that a bonafide violation of your rights has occurred, you should immediately hire a lawyer and channel your whining down a more productive avenue.

TT
I'm am sorry you find my attitude bigoted but this has been my experience with the bus drivers. When I clearly indicate where the tiedown is located on my wheelchair and I am ignored while they search for it elsewhere only to end up using precisely the spot I showed them in the first place there is something wrong with their attitude. When I tell them my wheelchair was not made to back up a ramp and they scream at me to obey them, I have a problem with that as well. And those are the ones that give me that attitude all the time. The other drivers are polite and call for another bus immediately.
Btw I did try to do it Disney's way once. It resulted in my back wheel going off the side of the ramp and if there had not been another driver there I would have falled off the ramp altogether.
I actually thought this problem had been resolved after my last trip in September. In fact, I was assured it had been, by a Disney staff person. I now at the last minute find it has not been. Of course I am not happy and I am considering filing a suit against Disney. What I am not willing to do is risk injury by following a policy that with my wheelchair is DANGEROUS and risks injury to myself.
For your information TT I have been fighting this battle since they started using these Nova buses. I have had some drivers break the rules for me after seeing my wheelchair's design. I had no idea they could be fired for this. As I said before I thought it had been resolved after my last trip where I filed a complaint with Disney about the policy on the advice of a bus supervisor who saw the wheelchair and saw why the manufacturer recommends it not be backed up a ramp. I will be requesting another bus from now on anytime a Nova bus shows up and I will be documenting it as well for the lawyers.

Andrew Bichard said:
Tyler: thanks for putting our case to management. What percentage of the fleet will be Novas by my next visit in October? I would guess there will not be many buses that I won't be able to get onto. BTW, I see from your photo that the Gilig has a nasty looking twist at the top of the ramp (the part with yellow & black stripes). My chair has a rigid frame and one of my wheels will certainly lift off the floor as I ride over it. I shall have to see how my chair copes.
It's hard to say... I don't know when the new order of Gilligs will be in... if anything like our past order, it wouldn't be till November. Although, the buses are running real strong, and people like them. (Complete opposite of the Novas, which were breaking after only 1,000 miles) RUMOR has it that the Novas are on a 5 year lease. That would mean that 17 of them will be leaving us at the end of the year, coinciding with the new rumored order. We shall see. At any rate, the CURRENT mix (give or take) is:

140 RTS buses... 95% if not more of them have been retrofitted with the larger sized lift. The other 5% should be done in the next month or two. Many of these buses also have the new J-hook style straps.
71 Nova buses... 2 of which have been retrofitted with fold out ramps. No word on whether one can go forward on those 2 buses.
45 Gillig buses... In regards to that slope that you saw... let me provide an alternate angle... if you go straight up into the seating area, you shouldn't have to worry about it.
gillig2.jpg

Andrew Bichard said:
Talking Hands: It isn't just Jazzys that have a problem, my Invacare (four wheels - drive wheels to rear, casters to front) doesn't like reversing up ramps either. My chair also had special tie down fixing points fitted. Despite pointing these out, with only one exception drivers ignored them and did their own thing. I have since had them removed.
I've seen some Hoverounds that cannot go in reverse. There's a LOT different kinds out there that will have trouble... :(

Were the tie down points real low to the ground? One of the biggest reasons of strapping the mobility device down is to prevent tipping... if the tie down points are too low, the chance of tipping still exists. Perhaps the drivers were attempting to find a higher up point, to avoid that chance? (I really can't speak for them, I don't know the situation...)

Talking Hands said:
I'm am sorry you find my attitude bigoted but....
"....but." But?? Hmmm. I think we all "got" exactly what you wrote and meant in your earlier posts. Every single point.

That chip on your shoulder apppears to be growing. You really oughta have it looked at soon.

TT

the CURRENT mix (give or take) is:

140 RTS buses, 71 Nova buses... 45 Gillig buses...

That means that I ought to be able to ride three buses out of four. I will be at WDW for 29 days this next trip, so waiting a bit longer in the Florida sun a few extra minutes now and then is no problem for me. Especially as I am staying at Boardwalk and won't need to use buses to get to my favourite two parks.

One of the biggest reasons of strapping the mobility device down is to prevent tipping

Again, it depends on the chair. Mine is very unlikely to tip as it has two automobile sized batteries under the seat just inches from the floor. With my chair the main reason is to stop it sliding if the driver has to hit the brakes suddenly and to stop it 'walking' across the floor if the bus bounces over uneven ground. I am quite secure once strapped down and wearing the seatbelt provided. ...and no, the tie down points were on the main frame (chassis) near where drivers usually attach the straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter