Effort to vote out Bob Chapek at upcoming shareholder meeting

Although it's unlikely to successful, "feedback" like this is almost always impactful. I work for a (very) large company, and when any portion of our customer base makes a loud noise, we pay attention. We may not always do what they want, but we definitely pay attention.

Disney has already gotten the message. The message is: people will continue to pay the price for everything they are currently offering.

This is nothing more than a group of internet "nobodies" waving around their torches. It will accomplish nothing.

The only thing that matters to a Board of Directors is $$$. And, to a lesser extent, morality/behavior.
Agree on many levels, however everyone keeps talking about the stockholders and $$. Well although I am a low end stock holder...I do watch the numbers and last summer it was up to 197 and as of today it is 146...(at one point last week it was in the 130's). It has consistently dropped since last summer with no real rally either. So it doesn't seem like he is pulling in the numbers with his changes? Yes they are doing better the last two quarters, however compared to last year, that shouldn't be much of a success? Any economic majors here, please explain to a lowly science teacher that doesn't really get the whole stock market numbers thing....o_O

Agree on many levels, however everyone keeps talking about the stockholders and $$. Well although I am a low end stock holder...I do watch the numbers and last summer it was up to 197 and as of today it is 146...(at one point last week it was in the 130's). It has consistently dropped since last summer with no real rally either. So it doesn't seem like he is pulling in the numbers with his changes? Yes they are doing better the last two quarters, however compared to last year, that shouldn't be much of a success? Any economic majors here, please explain to a lowly science teacher that doesn't really get the whole stock market numbers thing....o_O

Sure, and if that stock price continues to fall, we may see some more aggressive action by the Board, but during earnings calls, the PARKS and RESORTS arm of the company is continuing to post profits every quarter, so there is no incentive to change operations there. The bulk of the company's earnings do not come from Parks and Resorts.

Sure, and if that stock price continues to fall, we may see some more aggressive action by the Board, but during earnings calls, the PARKS and RESORTS arm of the company is continuing to post profits every quarter, so there is no incentive to change operations there. The bulk of the company's earnings do not come from Parks and Resorts.
..And they will continue to Post because there is a segment of people that have not gone back YET.
I know many friends and relatives from the states and in other countries who want to come visit
but waiting until things "settle" down more with Covid.
The people going now(my family included) while still in Pandemic and with the awful price increases
couldn't wait to go back. When the Covid numbers really plummet and stay down consistently. It
will be on! lol

I also don't see Mr. Chapek going anywhere...for now. *Interesting he mentioned sports betting again.

Last edited:

Any economic majors here, please explain to a lowly science teacher that doesn't really get the whole stock market numbers thing....o_O
There is no easy way to explain it succinctly within the confines of a message board. But keep in mind that the stock market is, for the most part, forward looking. And the reason the stock bounced so high early in the pandemic (when the parks and movie theaters were closed and a huge drag on the bottom line of the business) was because of the better than expected launch of Disney Plus. Then, when the projections of subscriber growth slowed last year, the stock fell sharply. Today, Disney announced that they believe they are back on track with the original projections. To put it in perspective, Disney is anticipating Plus will gross in excess of $25 billion a year within a few years (which is within shouting distance of double what the theme parks generate and will equal more than half of its entertainment generated revenue). There are other factors impacting the short and long term stock price, but Plus is the elephant in the room. If it does well, the stock will continue to do well. If it does not, forget it. The stock likely wouldn't plummet, but it would languish

Again, I don't think anyone is thinking this vote will be successful, rather it may send a message to Disney. Not really sure there will be a significant enough vote for Disney to even notice though.

Chapek is a hatchet man for the board to get unpopular things through, get rid of people they want gone, make them status quo, and then leave in a couple of years so the "good guy" CEO can take over. And by leave i mean take a board seat instead of CEO spot.

yes and yes

There are other factors impacting the short and long term stock price, but Plus is the elephant in the room. If it does well, the stock will continue to do well. If it does not, forget it. The stock likely wouldn't plummet, but it would languish

Problem is sometimes we get lumped in with the streaming/tech companies and sometimes we get lumped in with legacy entertainment...and it always seems whichever sector is taking a hit is what they consider us that particular day! In the year 2000 the stock was at 40...even after a blow out earnings and assuming it holds today...with no splits since then we are at 160...and no divvy. I'm pretty sure many of us own Disney stock for the same reason and it has mostly to do with how much we adore the brand...but let's get real there are hundreds of better companies to have been invested in for the last 20 years. It's got a lot of room to make up to catch up to its' peers and prove itself a winner going forward. GL.

Problem is sometimes we get lumped in with the streaming/tech companies and sometimes we get lumped in with legacy entertainment...and it always seems whichever sector is taking a hit is what they consider us that particular day! In the year 2000 the stock was at 40...even after a blow out earnings and assuming it holds today...with no splits since then we are at 160...and no divvy. I'm pretty sure many of us own Disney stock for the same reason and it has mostly to do with how much we adore the brand...but let's get real there are hundreds of better companies to have been invested in for the last 20 years. It's got a lot of room to make up to catch up to its' peers and prove itself a winner going forward. GL.
I haven't owned DIS continuously ince 2000, but I have held and/or traded shares almost every year since the mid nineties. A 400% return in twenty years is nothing to sneeze at!!! Especially since its not a true growth stock (the streaming service notwithstanding).

Chapek is a hatchet man for the board to get unpopular things through, get rid of people they want gone, make them status quo, and then leave in a couple of years so the "good guy" CEO can take over.

And by leave i mean take a board seat instead of CEO spot.

I agree he is the hatchet man, and a perfect pick. The issue is will they have the ~~~~ to get rid of him before he takes the company too far down the path. He's not qualified to grow this company as shown by our falling stock. Our 52 week high was $203 (while things were still pretty rocky), last week was $140 (in a time where the economy is doing well and folks are back spending) = not good. Yesterday we closed "up" at $147. Yesterdays presentation of fuzzy math will push us for the moment, but will that moment hold and grow? Where we are now compared to a year ago is unacceptable.

But he is already on the Board which I feel like is a conflict of interest. Are his fellow Board members going to vote to remove him as CEO? We need him off the Board so he isn't influencing that decision. What everyone is voting against him - is his seat on the Board.

Stockholders need to read up on the proposal voting as well. The Board is recommending against many of these which makes it very suspicious what they are trying to hide. Oh but they want our support on their paychecks and who cooks the books.

Although it's unlikely to successful, "feedback" like this is almost always impactful. I work for a (very) large company, and when any portion of our customer base makes a loud noise, we pay attention. We may not always do what they want, but we definitely pay attention.

Oh they pay attention, they just don't care. As long as people keep packing the parks all of the feedback will end up in a shredder.

I haven't owned DIS continuously ince 2000, but I have held and/or traded shares almost every year since the mid nineties. A 400% return in twenty years is nothing to sneeze at!!! Especially since its not a true growth stock (the streaming service notwithstanding).
I understand what you're saying, and no it's not horrible but it's a laggard. There's no other way to look at Disney as compared to so many other similar companies and ETFs. Just look at SPY. Past 5 years Disney up less than 40% Spy over 90%. It's just the biggest glaring example simply because SPY is an easy purchase for most instead of individual stocks. But I can do this on and on and on. I bought into Disney as I believe many have...because of the affinity towards the company, but I've also known it to never have been a darling of Wall Street for whatever reason. It is what it is perhaps at some point it takes off and makes up lost ground because of Dis+ but it's hard to tell at this point.

Without Roy E., the onus is on the conscientious shareholders to show dissent, and I seriously hope there is enough to outnumber the oligarch shareholders who only care about profits and doesn't care about the guest experience.

Oh they pay attention, they just don't care. As long as people keep packing the parks all of the feedback will end up in a shredder.
What exactly do you think his job is as the CEO?

Did anyone actual listen to the earnings call and see how the parks performed?

Without Roy E., the onus is on the conscientious shareholders to show dissent, and I seriously hope there is enough to outnumber the oligarch shareholders who only care about profits and doesn't care about the guest experience.
I've owned Disney stock for 42 years and this is the first time that I've been motivated to actually submit a vote.

Why would they vote him out if profits are up?? At the end of the day it's all about revenue, not whether or not he is popular.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it ... If you believe Bob Chapek is bringing profits and doing so in such a way that he is also building brand loyalty that will result in profits for the foreseeable future, then yeah it wouldn't make sense to vote against him. Or if you only plan on owning DIS stock for a very short amount of time, you probably only care about the short term profits.

However, I suspect what some long time DIS shareholders believe is that Disney under Bob Chapek is sacrificing long term brand loyalty and consumer satisfaction for short term profits.

I'm not an expert in running a business, but I've always been taught that long term customer satisfaction is significantly more important than short term profitability and will result in long term profitability as well. Historically, I think Disney has done a better job than it does today of making customers believe they were paying for quality and great customer service - which despite the high prices, customers were happy to pay.

Disney of recent has been raising prices and cutting costs to create their record profits - all at the expense of the customer experience. It may be working for right now, but will it continue to work in the long run, or will it tarnish Disney's reputation or allow another theme park to take over as the top destination? Time will tell.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it ... If you believe Bob Chapek is bringing profits and doing so in such a way that he is also building brand loyalty that will result in profits for the foreseeable future, then yeah it wouldn't make sense to vote against him. Or if you only plan on owning DIS stock for a very short amount of time, you probably only care about the short term profits.

However, I suspect what some long time DIS shareholders believe is that Disney under Bob Chapek is sacrificing long term brand loyalty and consumer satisfaction for short term profits.

I'm not an expert in running a business, but I've always been taught that long term customer satisfaction is significantly more important than short term profitability and will result in long term profitability as well. Historically, I think Disney has done a better job than it does today of making customers believe they were paying for quality and great customer service - which despite the high prices, customers were happy to pay.

Disney of recent has been raising prices and cutting costs to create their record profits - all at the expense of the customer experience. It may be working for right now, but will it continue to work in the long run, or will it tarnish Disney's reputation or allow another theme park to take over as the top destination? Time will tell.
I think this entire argument is built on false assumptions.

Disney Parks are just a part of a much larger brand that does incredibly well with loyalty… they aren’t a stand-alone revenue generator.

I think this entire argument is built on false assumptions.

Disney Parks are just a part of a much larger brand that does incredibly well with loyalty… they aren’t a stand-alone revenue generator.

The Disney Parks are still a large revenue generator and the largest profit generator ($2.4B profit on $7.3B in revenue for Parks, Experiences & Products vs $808M profit on $14.5B revenue for Media & Entertainment). I don't think they're going out of business if Disney decided to close its parks tomorrow - but it would sure be a huge hit on their profits.

Disney is 1 big company, but consumers won't automatically spend more for less value just because they like the MCU or Star Wars. Look at Galactic Starcruiser and how many people are cancelling their reservations after seeing the video they put out that Disney later took down.

People may still be happy to spend $20 to go see the new Marvel movie and even subscribe to Disney+ but even as people get priced out of going to Disney parks, the people who are left who can still afford to spend $15K+ on a 7-day vacation will expect a more luxury experience and if they don't "feel the magic" or word of mouth spreads that there is no magic, the demand could easily shrink.

Its still possible Disney is betting on the Metaverse and a virtual Disney Park to replace the physical ones - and perhaps their long term strategy is to boost profits enough that the physical parks look attractive enough that they can sell them off and invest in a virtual park. I think we're still pretty far away from a virtual experience that could really replace a physical one though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter