elderly care in Disney

tci1212

DIS Veteran
Hello, We will be in Disiney in August, We are taking my mother who will be 88 yrs old. She can still walk but for very short distances. She can only make it a few steps without getting winded. We have to use a wheel chair for her while in Disney, but we just rent it from the park. My question is, is there anyway when getting off the dock at the Contemporary that they would have a wheel chair to push her up to the hotel. She loves to eat at Chef Mickeys but the walk on the dock up to the 4th floor is too much for her. We did notice last summer that the parks now have the free wheel chairs to go from the bus drop off to the gate
This has help us greatly. She is in the beginning stages of Alzheimers so we can't get her an ecv to drive. Thanks for any info.

The answer to your specific question about a wv from the Contemporary Dock to Chef Mickey's, unfortunately is no.

However, I would suggest you contact one of the off-site, full-service companies such as Walker, Care or Colonial. See about renting what is sometimes referred to as an Alzheimer's wheelchair. (Instead of having two large wheels and two small ones, it has four small wheels. This prevents the person sitting in it from driving away on their own.) That way you will have the wc available at all times, not just in the parks. Note that some of the hotel corridors can be VERY long.

I second the wheelchair rent or purchase. The transporter type wheelchair has been a life saver for us. My mother can not do great distances, but the transporter is small, lightweight and can be easily hefted in and out of a car trunk. Good ones have a collapsible back and removable foot rests, even Walgreen's can get them for you, if you do not have a home health care store nearby. Several days rental can add up, and the chair may come in handy at airports and for forays from home.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/productlist.jhtml?CATID=100931&navAction=jump&navCount=0

Just remember to make sure any rental car has a big trunk! Or the van needs extra space or bring the bungee cords to put it in a luggage rack!

Carla

We have made several visits to WDW with my grandmother who needs to use a wheelchair. I agree with the previous 2 entries - renting is the best way to ensure that you are never stranded. We used Walker Mobility last time, and they delivered it right to our hotel - it was waiting for us when we checked in. It is worth the weekly rental fee (less than $100 I think).

Hope

Here are the off-site rental places:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

Care, Walker and Colonial are full service medical equipment places and can rent transport chairs (the light wheelchairs with 4 small wheels that were mentioned by other posters). You may want to look into renting one to bring from home, as abitjaded suggested, so that you will have it in the airport too.

Thank you for your information. Since we will be driving down I checked with a local medical supply store. They said rental would be 65.00 a week. We may just rent one from home, if we have enough room after we are all packed. :wave:

Have you asked your Dr if one is available through medicare or her supplimental policy. Several years ago we got a wlker with a seat on it for dadat no cost to us through the durable medical goods part of the policy.......Just a thought.:wave:

Hello everyone,
I went to our local medical supply store and purchased a transporter wheelchair. Can these be carried on the Disney busses, like you do with the strollers? My Mother can walk onto the bus and off the bus, it is just getting her to and from that is a problem. I don't remember seeing anyone carry on a wheelchair. Thanks for any info.:sunny:

tci,

We never had a problem with the transporter getting on any type of Disney transportation, in or out of the chair. If she wants to walk on to anything, just collapse the chair. The chair will restrict you on a few rides, such as ending up on the disabilities cars at AK Safari if she rides it all the way to the departure points. But busses, monorail, boats are no problem.

Health insurance usually will not pay for a wheelchair unless it is needed WITHIN the home, bummer. And my mom's Anchor/Medicare would only pay for the lousiest, heaviest standard chair, and you had to rent the stupid thing for a year first!

Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter