Electric Cars

We have teslas and love them, but you definitely need a home charging solution. I can't imagine having to use superchargers or public chargers all the time. Part of the benefit of going electric is never having to go to a gas station again in the heat, rain, snow, etc. Having to sit at a charger reduces that benefit heavily
This is the way.

Biggest change is the gas station mentality. You don't drive the EV for days until the battery is near empty. You charge every night and start with full capacity.

My 275 mile range EV does 99% of the trips I've needed for the last 3 years I've had it.

Yes, on average they have gone up. I was pointing out though that at times they have declined.

Electric companies today are facing another complicating factor. They bill based on quantity (kWh) but as conservation efforts and behind the meeter solar/wind grow, average usage will be reduced. Thus, the companies need to collect the same amount of facility support costs over lower volumes.

Hence the reason why companies like FP&L (Florida Power and Light) are spending large sums investing in their own solar farms. They'll claim conservation projects, but use those capital expenditures as justification for rate increases.

I was invited and presented our unique batteries to them as a potential for frequency regulation income. One Florida company partnering with another in a synergetic manner.

This is the way.

Biggest change is the gas station mentality. You don't drive the EV for days until the battery is near empty. You charge every night and start with full capacity.

My 275 mile range EV does 99% of the trips I've needed for the last 3 years I've had it.

I agree conceptually, but the rate of charge is what I would question. If the BMS fails to terminate charge as the user approaches 100% SOC, the results can be catastrophic.

Depends. My Financial Adviser does have at home charging for his Rivian. But he bought s Tesla when it came with lifetime free charging at Tesla chargers, so that he does not charge that at home, although he could. So those grandfathered Tesla owners probably are more likely to be looking for public free charging.

Depends. My Financial Adviser does have at home charging for his Rivian. But he bought s Tesla when it came with lifetime free charging at Tesla chargers, so that he does not charge that at home, although he could. So those grandfathered Tesla owners probably are more likely to be looking for public free charging.

That situation is rare and not typical. That would be the only time where an EV owner would behave like an ICE driver.

I agree conceptually, but the rate of charge is what I would question. If the BMS fails to terminate charge as the user approaches 100% SOC, the results can be catastrophic.

Your statement is true in concept, but not an issue that is prevalent in EV's.

Your statement is true in concept, but not an issue that is prevalent in EV's.

I somewhat disagree (current EV's). As more EV manufacturers come online with the promise of faster charging rates, the potential for BMS failures will increase as well as exothermic reactions.

I somewhat disagree (current EV's). As more EV manufacturers come online with the promise of faster charging rates, the potential for BMS failures will increase as well as exothermic reactions.
But BMS failure isn't happening in the fastest charging cars now. Even at the highest level 2 charging, nor at the highest DCFC rates.

Exothermic reactions are still way more prevalent in ICE vehicles. But nobody is sounding that alarm.

But BMS failure isn't happening in the fastest charging cars now. Even at the highest level 2 charging, nor at the highest DCFC rates.

Exothermic reactions are still way more prevalent in ICE vehicles. But nobody is sounding that alarm.

But the rates will increase to bring charge times lower. The C-rate is limited due to the current cell/chemistry designs. But the push will continue which brings higher risk.

I would say there are way more ICE vehicles on the road vs. EV. So the data could be skewed based on the volume of vehicles in the data. And an exothermic reaction in a battery cell often leads to propagation to the entire pack. Add to that even once the battery pack has been extinguished, there can be a reignition.

Last edited:
The arguments against EVs seem to always focus on edge cases.

No one has a problem driving around with 10, 20, or 30 gallons of explosive gas tucked under the back where they then place their children.

No one has a problem driving around with 10, 20, or 30 gallons of explosive gas tucked under the back where they then place their children.

Wow! I never ever thought about my backseat exploding in all the years I've been driving but I guess that could be a good selling point for getting an EV. :thumbsup2

Wow! I never ever thought about my backseat exploding in all the years I've been driving but I guess that could be a good selling point for getting an EV. :thumbsup2
You haven't thought about it because for the most part ICE cars don't just catch on fire. Neither do EV. Yet arguments against EV seem to focus on them suddenly catching on fire.

Data thus far suggests that EV catch on fire 20 times less often than ICE.

Ok, I'm going to be part of the problem, and I get that. I just like a engine that looks, feels, and behaves like an engine. I like a car that feels like a car. That tinny creepy sound effect on EVs? No way. Should I mention I'm from Michigan originally? Lol. Pracitcally, initial cost and maintenance are barriers.
Also, when it got cold, my sister had to wait 2 days for AAA to have time to come jump her dead EV when it wasn't at a station, so....yeah.

Also, when it got cold, my sister had to wait 2 days for AAA to have time to come jump her dead EV when it wasn't at a station, so....yeah.
So it sounds like her 12v battery died in the cold.

That is not something unique to EV.

I have been stranded many times when my 12v battery died unexpectedly in various ICE cars in the 35+ years I have been driving.

Real use cases regarding extinguishing an EV fire with over 20,000 gallons of water vs. 300 gallons for gasoline. And gasoline doesn't have the thermal runaway potential that an EV does.

Ok, I'm going to be part of the problem, and I get that. I just like a engine that looks, feels, and behaves like an engine. I like a car that feels like a car. That tinny creepy sound effect on EVs? No way. Should I mention I'm from Michigan originally? Lol. Pracitcally, initial cost and maintenance are barriers.
I agree for a fun car but for a daily driver? Give me the silent and smooth ride of an EV. It beats the pants off of a 1.5L inline 4 cylinder or whatever is in the typical indistinguishable crossover.

The ICE car I had before getting my EV caught fire as I drove it.

We were staying at a hotel in 2 degree weather last month with one of our EVs... the owner of the BIG diesel truck parked next to us (right outside our window) got up several times during the night to start his truck in the cold. Guess what wouldn't start in the morning? He had to get a jump to get going. We didn't have a problem at all with the EV. It's really not difficult to drive them in cold weather, you just have to know how to handle them as far as charging, heating, etc. It's like having an older car that doesn't like cold, and you have to know to put a trickle charger on it at night if you want to get going in the morning.

I love driving. I loved driving stick. I thought I would REALLY miss the engine purrs, and the shifting, etc. My car is SO much fun to drive! No hesitation when you push the accelerator... all torque, all the time. And the little electric whine when accelerating is such a sweet sound. Luckily, our cars predate the weird little noises for pedestrians, so it's just silent in a parking lot.

I've also found new "games" to play while I drive (like knocking a manual transmission out of gear to coast). My car has really good regen, so much so that I rarely have to touch my brake pedal for anything (it also has a stop and hold feature, which means I generally don't even have to touch the brake pedal at a red light). DH's EV has 180,000+ miles on it - he's still on his original set of brakes thanks to the regen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter