Epcot Wedding, NON-Disney Photographer ... What do we think of this?

I agree with everyone else calling shenanigans! The no outside photography rule has been in effect since 2009.

I desperately want to get married in France (the pavilion lol) and have The Roots as my photographers. While I'm not engaged, no where near close to being engaged in fact, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this!

This has been my major concern all along. When I found out about the no outside photographer rule, I thought, well its Disney, they charge a lot for photography and they can't be bad...right? :confused3 Well, after reading post after post about the horrible Disney photographers, I really started doubting if I wanted to get married in the park.

I don't understand why they wouldn't. I have to spend a minimum anyway, I would just be spending money with them in another place. If I could have an outside photographer I would have no worries about getting married at Disney.

Those of you that are current brides, please keep us informed.

I got a response through email from my planner stating that the same rules apply and that they apologize for any confusion this posting on an unofficial website cost me or any other brides.

So right now looks like same rules apply and there isn't a thing any of us will be able to do about it. :headache:

I got a response through email from my planner stating that the same rules apply and that they apologize for any confusion this posting on an unofficial website cost me or any other brides.

So right now looks like same rules apply and there isn't a thing any of us will be able to do about it. :headache:

I'm being a little negative today, but unofficial website or not it was an official Disney Fairy Tale Wedding so I'd still like to know how they let it happen in the first place...is it like the wedding dress in the parks rule? We say don't do it but if you show up we're not gonna stop you from doing it? ::sigh::

So I just got off of the phone with my planner's assistant and she said I was the 4 person to call today. They have all seen the blog and checked into it and said that the policy still stands that non disney photographers are not allowed in park. They said they used to be allowed and the only reason this person must have had an outside photographer was because they were grandfathered in by an old contract where they had to postpone their wedding until this year. Not the answer I was hoping for but it was the one I got.

That is complete BS. If you postpone, you get a new contract with the new rule and are only allowed to push it back so far (12 mos I think), not 2 yrs. I know this because we were married in 4/09 and at one time considered pushing it back a year and that would have made us lose our outside photographers. Also, any postponement over a year makes you lose your deposit and you have to rebook under the new rules.

Since the photographer isn't someone we've heard of like Randy, the Roots, or the Arndts that shoot a lot of Disney Weddings, I think that the photographer simply wasn't concerned about ruining their "Disney relationship" and were willing to risk it.

I rather doubt that this bride was "grandfathered in" because as mentioned above, this rule has been in effect for at least two, almost three years, now.

I don't know why Disney Fairytale Weddings didn't stop this bride from using an outside photographer. I'd be interested to hear how she did it - did she just not book a Disney photography package? Did she book Disney photography, but then had her outside professional photographer show up as a guest? Did she tell them straight-out that she was having an outside photographer?

If she wasn't really grandfathered in, I'm pretty sure that DFTW would have stopped the outside photographer before it happened. My best guess is that these photographers were "guests." And what was DFTW to do? "STOP! STOP THE WEDDING!!! THOSE PEOPLE AREN'T REALLY GUESTS - THEY'RE PHOTOGRAPHERS!" (Just kidding, guys!)

Since the wedding was shot at the wedding pavilion, it was no big deal that their photographers were outside. However, they could have been invited to the reception as guests and just happened to take pictures??? There is no rule about guests taking pictures....

However, I really doubt any of the well-known outside Disney Wedding photographers would be willing to arrive as guests and take pictures. It seems like something you could only get away with once.

No matter the scenerio, it really stinks for everyone planning a Disney Wedding that wants an outside photographer. They shouldn't have let this happen because now it's really unfair to all of the upcoming Disney brides who would rather have an outside photographer. I vote they drop the rule!!!!!!!!

My thoughts on the no outside photographer rule is that this is all about who owns the rights to the images. Disney wants to own the rights to the photos of in park weddings. (I suspect that they would also like to own the rights to the other weddings too but I think they wisely understand that forcing everyone to use DPS would not work.) Based on what Carly said in her blog post, I think the pictures from this wedding are going to be published somewhere and that is the reason for the outside photographer in this case. But this is purely speculation as I am not involved, just interested in the outcome. I am hoping to have a Disney wedding and we are going to have it in EPCOT either way. The photos of weddings taken by DPS have been pretty good lately and I would be confident that I would get good photos.

Are they really trying to blame this on Carly's site? She was just the messenger. Nice try DFTW. How did this one get through?

I'm so sorry to those Disney brides who are stuck following the rules. That sucks. :sad2: This is not the first time we've seen Disney either bend or not enforce the rules, though. Just a short while ago there were reports of brides, in their dresses, at MK. This one irritated me because, if we're allowed to do that, then I'm going back in my dress for some in-focus MK pictures with a competent non-Disney photographer! (That'll break two rules, HAH!)

The fact the Disney imposes these rules and then only enforces them for some people is wrong. Disney brides, I hope you take them to task over this and do not let them get away with feeding what is obviously nothing but a poor excuse. If enough of you complain, maybe you can get a real answer - and more importantly, a positive result.

I just noticed that the bride commented on Carly's feature, asking her how she got the photos.... yet she didn't tell us how she had an outside photographer for an in-park Disney event.

Karrie... are you a DISer? We aren't mad! We aren't going to attack you (right, ladies?)! We just want to know how you did it!!!! If you told us, that would really help brides in the process of planning their weddings... :goodvibes

Are they really trying to blame this on Carly's site? She was just the messenger. Nice try DFTW. How did this one get through?

Right! That was such a (w)itchy comment from the planner! It's not Carly's fault! And she tried to get an answer from DFTW but, alas, there was conflicting information.

And this really grinds my gears. I'm not angry with the bride at ALL (and her wedding was lovely), but I really wish the policy was just standard. I would love to have an Epcot wedding, but not without Randy Chapman. :(

Darn, Carly removed it before I could see it. :(

But my guess is that a "guest" wasn't really a guest, and that is how they got around the rule.

Why not just ask the photographer. :confused3

Carly (the blog owner) did. She explained that in her original post. The photography company stated that they'd never experienced any issues with shooting inside Disney parks.

Carly (the blog owner) did. She explained that in her original post. The photography company stated that they'd never experienced any issues with shooting inside Disney parks.

Interesting, well guess they will now. Beautiful photos.

i think its upsetting and DFTW needs to get their story straight. i agree with all the comments posted. i agree this would not be a photographer who wants to remain in DFTW's good graces, so to speak.

that said, i almost stopped reading carly's site(s?) during wedding planning because she posted so many non disney photog pics. this was mostly at DL, which has clarified that they do allow the outside photographers. although i am really happy to see this information, i have to question why carly would want to put herself in the midst of controversy she has to know will come, and apparently then take the post down? i'm just hearing this all from you all, so, it's her right (and again i'm always glad to have more EVIDENCE!! ha!), but why take it down?:confused:

i think its upsetting and DFTW needs to get their story straight. i agree with all the comments posted. i agree this would not be a photographer who wants to remain in DFTW's good graces, so to speak.

that said, i almost stopped reading carly's site(s?) during wedding planning because she posted so many non disney photog pics. this was mostly at DL, which has clarified that they do allow the outside photographers. although i am really happy to see this information, i have to question why carly would want to put herself in the midst of controversy she has to know will come, and apparently then take the post down? i'm just hearing this all from you all, so, it's her right (and again i'm always glad to have more EVIDENCE!! ha!), but why take it down?:confused:

Carly had to take the pictures down because the photographer asked her to, something about the rights to the pictures and them being posted elsewhere.

I pulled the spotlight because it's in the process of being published by someone else with an exclusivity clause and I didn't know that when I put it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter