European Union will bar travelers from the US (and others). US does not make the cut, too out of control

https://www.businessinsider.com/europe-travel-ban-americans-eu-coronavirus-final-2020-6
The US stands pretty much alone in how bad a job it has done in trying to coral the pandemic. The US has about 4% of the world's population, about 25% of both the COVID cases and deaths. With over 2 1/2 million cases and over 126,00 dead,

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Also probably Russia and Brazil will be blocked from entry. Brazil is looking soon like it could be worse than the US.

Yup, and they are following the science and are 100% right in doing so. Our leaders have let us down more than I could have ever imagined as an American. To my fellow countrywomen and men who are following the rules....stay tough, stay safe because we're going to be in this for awhile. To those of you who aren't following the rules....I have no words left.....other than.....grow up.

Having Freedom has benefits and drawbacks. Right now our Freedom is working against us, the EU should have the right to govern its boarders and who is allowed to enter - just like any other country. I see very little reason that countries need to be opening their boarders to outsiders at this time. IMHO it's no big deal, the US shouldn't be allowing others in either.

Not sure why this is a thumbs up. The EU will open to countries who did the hard work.
They certainly are not interested in visiting the US in the midst of our mess.
Ummm...acknowledging your response.

I agree. We definitely have a mess. Not a safe or pleasant time to visit this country.

I have no problem with the EU banning the US and yes our numbers are going up. I wear a mask when I go out because I personally think it is helpful. The only people I can control is me and mine. What I do believe is missing in this situation on BOTH SIDES of the discussion is any sense of humbleness. I have never seen people be so prideful since this started, I see it every day on these threads. It is certainly a sign of the times that we live in and my favorite book even wrote about it.

Last edited:

I'm deeply saddened by this but not at all surprised. We had two international trips planned for the next two years and I will be very, very surprised if any of the countries involved are allowing Americans to visit that soon. We put off going abroad over and over again, wanting to wait until our youngest was old enough to appreciate the trip (and be an enjoyable travel companion) and now those places are all off limits for the foreseeable future. I really don't expect Americans to be welcome anywhere in the world until there is a vaccine.

And to all of those trying to spin this as "Good, American travel dollars should stay in America!", I'd like to point out that international travel is a net gain for our economy - more foreign travelers spend their money here than Americans spend theirs abroad - so this is another economic blow at a time when we're already floundering. There is no up side.

As a non-American, this might not mean much but our family has included America in our nightly prayers. We added an American flag on our car to add to the Canadian one.
As an outsider we are watching in disbelief and horror because we know America is a great country and has the money and resources to help it’s people fight this but dammit I wish more people were on the same page.

Maybe it will keep travel money in the US and keep Americans off of planes for hours and hours, not really seeing any downside.
I guess some are sad, I'm not one of them - seems a good idea all around.
Not a fan of this view. It’ll also keep tourists out.

Plus, tangentially related, travel bans and visa issues will destroy science innovation in the US. I’m hearing from a lot of peers that are considering leaving their research positions to go back to the countries their parents and families still live in. That’s a lot of lost knowledge and experience. (And no, these people can’t just be easily “replaced” by Americans.)

ETA: I mean, it’s still a good idea for the EU (and every country) to ban the US, but the “benefits” of domestic tourism, if they even exist, do not outweigh the downsides.

We were supposed to visit my parents who live in a EU country back in March for the first time in four years. I have no idea when we will be able to do so now and it's upsetting for both me and my parents.

I'm deeply saddened by this but not at all surprised. We had two international trips planned for the next two years and I will be very, very surprised if any of the countries involved are allowing Americans to visit that soon. We put off going abroad over and over again, wanting to wait until our youngest was old enough to appreciate the trip (and be an enjoyable travel companion) and now those places are all off limits for the foreseeable future. I really don't expect Americans to be welcome anywhere in the world until there is a vaccine.

And to all of those trying to spin this as "Good, American travel dollars should stay in America!", I'd like to point out that international travel is a net gain for our economy - more foreign travelers spend their money here than Americans spend theirs abroad - so this is another economic blow at a time when we're already floundering. There is no up side.

I have 2 trips to America cancelled. You’re correct about the Net loss of tourism revenue Your country will experience.

As a non-American, this might not mean much but our family has included America in our nightly prayers. We added an American flag on our car to add to the Canadian one.
As an outsider we are watching in disbelief and horror because we know America is a great country and has the money and resources to help it’s people fight this but dammit I wish more people were on the same page.
You know what you did to me, Mama?

😥

Thank you. :thanks:

I have 2 trips to America cancelled. You’re correct about the Net loss of tourism revenue Your country will experience.

And when it comes to Canada, it'll impact domestic travel in some parts of the country too. We have family in Boston. We cut through Canada every time we go visit, and I've already had to cancel two trips to the East Coast in part because the extra drive time of staying in the States makes the trip much less attractive or practical. It adds several hours and a couple hundred miles in each direction. Our neighbors, who split their time between Michigan and Alaska, are cut off from one of their homes right now because they can't drive through. My cousin lives in Oregon but works seasonally in Alaska; he didn't go this year because he wasn't sure he could get there and was worried about not being able to get back home to his family at the end of the season. A teacher at my daughter's high school has been living apart from her husband since this started; he's Canadian and works in Ontario, she's American and works in Michigan and has an elderly mother here that doesn't need full time care but can't be 100% independent either. Normally they live here and her husband commutes, but with the border restrictions, he's living with his brother there and she and their son are here. The ties between our two countries are so close that closed borders have a ripple effect over more things than most people realize.

I'm all for banning any international travel right now.
I agree, although it does pain me to have so few options for holidays. Our borders have been closed since March to everyone and there's no projected date when the restrictions will lift. We can't even freely travel from province-to-province. Each one has it's own public health orders in place and in several, visitors from other provinces have to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter