***Everyone PLEASE READ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baloo

<font color="red"><br>Laughter is the bloom<br>of
You all know that this board was built on very good intentions.That many very talented people have generously given of their designing talents FREELY to all those who asked.They have designed specific things for people ,shared their creations for all to use and play with to make their own design.The designers are truly gifted people.

And THEIR talents should be recognized.

It has come to my attention that people are using designs created by people here on Creative DISign Board.That is fine.That's what everyone has intended all along BUT not giving credit where credit is due IS WRONG! :furious:

So folks using a design is fine,playing with it to make it your own is fine but please have the decency to say "I started with so and sos design" and then created this design.

It the least y'all could do!!!

Baloo, I agree, but what if you forget whose design it was? For example, I have seen the names with characters before, but I don't know who did the first one? I think it was J&N's Mom, but i don't know for sure? It wasn't mine & I clearly indicated that when I posted the results.

I will make sure I thank people whose designs I have used. Sorry for not doing it before.
Penny

chaoscent...if you clearly indicated that it was started with someone elses design,no problem.

Maybe you need to jot the name of the designer down when you find one you like.I have a whole notebook here by my PC with notes to myself on various things I come across all over the internet ...my little mind doesn't remember everything like it use too!!! :teeth:

I assure you I will do that from here on in. :sad2: I have decided that when I save any future design I am going to save it with that person's name. That way I will always remember where the idea came from. The last thing I want to do is take for granted the great ideas I get from this board.
Penny

I have been P.M many times to redesign something.
As they can't get in touch with or don't know who designed.
I'm the worst @ designing.
I have sometimes added a frame to designs.
I have tried to make it clear I have only added to, not created.
I would hope that all would do this.
Looks like all haven't.
I have spend many wasted hours trying to design.
So I know how much work goes into them.
TO ALL GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IT IS DUE.

Penny - I think you've just given everyone an excellent tip - those of us who digiscrap will be used to crediting designers and we do that in the same way - by saving the file as the designers name.

Maybe the designers could also put their name in their filenames - in case the person downloading it forgets!

I have also suggested to some fellow DDAers that we watermark our designs. Here are the instructions for Photoimpact users:

about.com said:
Here's How:
1. Open an image.

2. Select the text tool and type the copyright symbol or any other text you want to use for a watermark. Works best with a fairly heavy typeface.

3. In the text panel or the property bar, click the color swatch, and set the color to 50% gray. (Use HSB values 0-0-50 or RGB values 128-128-128; both will produce the same result).

4. Set the text mode in the property bar to 3D Round. In the Text Panel, adjust the 3D properties as desired. (Note: You can perform steps 2 & 3 easily by clicking Dark Gray in the Material Attribute Gallery.)

5. In the AccessPanel, display the Layer Manager.

6. Select the text layer, and set the merge mode to Hard Light in the pull-down menu.

7. Resize and position your text as desired.

Tips:
If you'd like the watermark a little more visible, try a color value of 60% gray for the type (HSB value 0-0-60).
You are not restricted to using only text for this effect. Try importing a logo or symbol to use as a watermark.
The Windows keyboard shortcut for the copyright (©) symbol is Alt+0169 (use the numeric keypad to type the numbers).
If you use watermarks often, save the effect to The EasyPalette Object Library. You can still customize the text after adding it from the EasyPalette
watermark.jpg

Baloo:

I hope I have not offended any one of the talented people here. I hope that I've credited those where credit is due but I may have forgotten . . . I'm not sure . . . see what happens when you get to your mid-40's!

Truly -- when posting in other forums within DISboards, I try to steer members to this section so they can learn from the originators, develop their skills and continue the sharing of ideas.

I apologize if I failed to mention anyone in particular when I've posted the few items I've worked on. I've gone back to be sure to credit Kate on the name designs. I'm soooo very sorry and didn't intend to make it seem like I had thought of the idea.

Hats off to those that give so freely of their talent and their time!

I know that I worked from 5 PM to midnight last night on 14 names. I don't know how Kate does it! Her days must consist of 48 hours . . . I could never do what she does and still have a life!

Lisa

It seems like the biggest problem to me is not just forgetting specifically where something came from (that happens all the time, and it has NOTHING to do with age! :rolleyes: ), but more along the lines of

"Here's a design I made for _______ (t-shirt, door sign, scrapbook, etc)"
followed by a picture of a design that said person did not, in fact, make.

That's just wrong. I think by steering people here, mentioning that you got it from "one of the designers" over here, etc is CERTAINLY better than that, IMO.

Thanks, Baloo for the note! Clare, what a great idea to watermark the designs!!! What a great group :goodvibes

I would hope that anyone who did this would be sent a PM informing them of it. I certainly hope I did not do it! I've been browsing so many images (both here and doing internet searches for Disney characters) that I may have seen something that sparked an idea but not realized it.

I too would be upset if someone claimed any of my images as their own work - but I would probably send them a PM asking for credit where it is due and not just assume that they had any malicious intent.

This actually did occur to me on another board I'm on. I made an animated image for our group header and saw it one day in another group header. I sent the person a PM and she responded that she had not known who made it, just that someone else on those boards had sent her the image. She would gladly take it down if I wanted. I said it wasn't necessary and she then gave me credit in her header for the image. HONEST MISTAKES DO HAPPEN.

I just wanted to chime in on the topic at hand since I am the one having the problem with it

I have seen my designs or designs ODDLY similar to mine and someone says - HEY look at the shirt I made for my trip - and people pile on the KUDOS and no mention that I actually made the design is ever given. I would never make something and then say - OH thank you without ever saying I didn't even actually design it

It also bothers me to see people taking my designs - modifying them and then people love them and ask them to modify it and they do - the way we have always done it around here is to refer the request to the original designer - unless that designer is not around - it is just common courtesy in my opinion and why we have such a great group around here

and while I am on the topic of things that are upsetting - I am just going to throw out some other things that frustrate me a designer and really make me not want to keep doing this

once a designer posts a requested design - that is it - we don't go and make one hoping they will like our design better - if the OP asks for other designs - that is okay - but typically we don't continue posting designs once someone has already done the requested design - I think that is a slap in the face to the other designer

and when asking for a design - a please would be appreciated - not "make for me..."

and once you pm me for a design - please do not start a thread requesting the same design - I don't want to spend time on a design to only see that you have already gotten it somewhere else - I spend a lot of time on designs and this is very upsetting to me

I feel better now that I have gotten all of that off my chest - :smokin:

What a shame that this even needs to be said! Some people just have no class! :(

I will say that I have been lurking around this board - and I am SO impressed by all you designers. I have both photoshop and photoimpact and can't seem to figure out how to operate either one of them very well, much less be creative enough to come up with a cute design - let alone dozens! :)

Just so that everyone knows, I evidently was the person that put the last straw on the camel's back. I created names for pillowcases for 5 members that post in the cruiseline forum only after referring them to this section of the disboards.

I didn't realize that I could not use ideas that were previously posted in this forum. Those members didn't go over anyone's head in their request and I didn't feel I was stepping on anyone's toes but evidently, I was wrong. Even given proper credit for where the idea originated, I still offended.

I feel like I took money out of someone's purse in church right now.

I do not look at the posts in the "chat" threads as I'm not one to dive into personal lives. I would say that many people on this board (the whole disboard) do not frequent or probably (like me before tonight) ever click on those two threads. What is said in there is between friends and not posted for the public. Until I got to page 218 or somewhere in there was I able to find the prior "vent." I'll stick to my yorkie forums as my three dogs don't cause controversy.

I don't see nothing wrong with you doing the designs for the people if you mentioned who first did the designs..

Anything the designers do here is supposed to be free to use and modify.. and i think thats what baloo was saying.. just throw in a credit to the org designer and your good to go. :)

Its not like your stealing money or anything... these designs can't be sold to anyone.. only given away.

But, They do deserve the credit. :)

You said you did that so it can't be you that broke the camels back..hehe

same thing happens with scrapbooking. Although with the scrapbooking, someone could then submit your idea to a magazine as theirs and get all the credit when it gets published. (and that would really make me cranky :) ) It's easy to lift a design, it would be nice if credit were given. maggie

mannasn said:
What a shame that this even needs to be said! Some people just have no class! :(

I will say that I have been lurking around this board - and I am SO impressed by all you designers. I have both photoshop and photoimpact and can't seem to figure out how to operate either one of them very well, much less be creative enough to come up with a cute design - let alone dozens! :)

Here here --- i just bought Photo Impact, and have managed to put one frame around one picture...... yikes - I am usually good with software programs! :confused3

I agree that the work by all those who design here are awesome, and I appreciate the talent and the willingness to share. I saved several designs I want to use to my PC so I would have them when the time came, but I will make sure I go back and arrange them by designer.

I was talking about making my first shirt last week, and I felt strange saying I 'made' it - since all I did was IRON!!

I think it's great to post pics too! That I will be sure to do, as I have lots of special things coming up that I be ironing for!!!! I knew I bought and iron for something... I detest ironing clothes!

This weekend Donald's Breakfastasaurus (sp) at AK. Next weekend Beach club - Cape May cafe for dinner and character b-fast the next morning! I need to search out designs for these!

I just got two packs of HP transfers in the mail today - The company I work for has and Emp Purchase Program with HP, so there was a discount and FREE expedited shipping - plus NO TAX - I had to take that deal - I got ones for white shirts and a pack for colored shirts!

This is such a fun "hobby"!!!

:flower3: :disrocks:

Can I say something in defense of PhotoLisa?

I was one of the members who she did names for. She ORIGINALLY sent me over here to find the original designer...who she credited for doing the designs!

I saw the designer was backlogged and figured I would not be able to do the pillowcases for my kids cruise in one month.

Lisa was a sweetheart and spent hours doing them for me, free of charge...and fully acknowledging the original designer!

I am sorry that people are upset....it is too bad, because Lisa was just helping out a fellow Dis member, and I thought that this was what the boards were for!!

I am disapointed in people's condemnation of Lisa's generous spirit, as she was helping people out she didn't even know!!

I really do not want to get into a whole debate about this -

but I would like to say this - NOWHERE was her name ever mentioned -

long before she started posting her designs a discussion was had asking people to make sure proper credit was given to designers - I saw that people (and there were others involved) were continuing to do so - and it is not just here on the disboards that I saw my designs - there is another entity where someone posted my design as their own - stating - look at this design I did -

Realizing this would continue to be a problem I made the decision to make my design gallery private - to protect my designs.

After this all happened Lisa sent me what I thought was a very sincere apology and let me know that she had edited all of her posts to be sure they reflected that I was noted as the original designer - and I sent her back this pm (out of respect for Lisa, I will not share her PM)

Julia & Nicks Mom said:
Thank you.

Please know that you are not the only person who has caused me to make this decision. There are people who absolutely said - this is my design. I know you never did that.

It just becomes frustrating when people start to make my modified designs for others because it then appears they are the original designer and this becomes very upsetting to me.

Maybe I am a little too emotionally attached to my designs for my own good!

I really appreciate the apology, I knew that you did not mean to upset me. I actually addressed the topic last week and when I still saw it happening, I decided I needed to take a stronger stand.

I am sorry that you seemed to bear the brunt of my frustration.

The DDA is really a great group and we love "meeting" new people! You should pop in our chat thread and say HI!!

Kate

she sent me another pm which again I will not share out of respect for Lisa

I thought that we had a very nice discussion - I let her know I was not upset with her and that she was not the WHOLE problem -

After our pm exchange - she then posted on here her post as follows:

photolisa said:
Just so that everyone knows, I evidently was the person that put the last straw on the camel's back. I created names for pillowcases for 5 members that post in the cruiseline forum only after referring them to this section of the disboards.

I didn't realize that I could not use ideas that were previously posted in this forum. Those members didn't go over anyone's head in their request and I didn't feel I was stepping on anyone's toes but evidently, I was wrong. Even given proper credit for where the idea originated, I still offended.

I feel like I took money out of someone's purse in church right now.

I do not look at the posts in the "chat" threads as I'm not one to dive into personal lives. I would say that many people on this board (the whole disboard) do not frequent or probably (like me before tonight) ever click on those two threads. What is said in there is between friends and not posted for the public. Until I got to page 218 or somewhere in there was I able to find the prior "vent." I'll stick to my yorkie forums as my three dogs don't cause controversy.

If Lisa truly feels she never did anything wrong - why did she send me an unsolicited apology?

Then I posted my new Valentine's Day Designs: and Lisa posted this on that thread

photolisa said:
Wow! These really remind me of the raglan tshirts that were included in the Disney email that I received this morning! Especially the hearts. There's some similarity there.

To be honest I had not received the Disney e-mail she was talking about and had never seen their shirts - I would imagine just about everyone making a valentine's day design would include a heart

and let's be honest - that post waa pretty mean-spirited

she then followed it with this one:

photolisa said:
Its all about crediting where the idea came from, right?

If you look through this forum - you will see NOTHING was ever said specifically about Lisa - as a matter of fact - she is the only person who ever specifically used her name

I made it very clear to her in my pm that I was not upset with her and that I knew she did not do anything intentionally -

but after what I thought was a nice communication - she came here and posted as well as in the cruise forum - so I am really confused as to what happened

No one was specifically talking about her - no one knew who I was talking about - and she was NOT the only person there have been many others

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter