Everything is so expensive! (just a vent)

Were you impacted by the gas line being shutdown? Also, gas prices were cheap when we shutdown. Now, they're about where they were before we shutdown in 2019.

I noticed that. When COVID hit and everyone "went home" in mid-to-late March, gas prices plummeted. No demand for it. They stayed really low for a long time during all of that. As demand came back, prices came back with it. I was affected by the pipeline hack. Our prices shot up about 30 cents per gallon. Funny how they haven't gone back down.

I noticed that. When COVID hit and everyone "went home" in mid-to-late March, gas prices plummeted. No demand for it. They stayed really low for a long time during all of that. As demand came back, prices came back with it. I was affected by the pipeline hack. Our prices shot up about 30 cents per gallon. Funny how they haven't gone back down.

Seasonally gas prices go up in the spring/summer and people travel more. Now, add to this reopening and folks returning to the office and prices should stay high. Maybe they come back down in the fall/winter.

In Winnipeg, where I am, gas is 1.24/L which works out to approx 5.00/G. Our dollar is at 0.83 cents which means 5 us costs us 6.04.

As of May 31, average gas price in US was $3.05G

Now do you see why it’s strange to complain?
I paid almost $4 a gallon yesterday. A few month ago it was less than $2. Some states are reporting prices close to yours. A big change for us in short time.

It can have a significant impact on individual budgets not to mention the trickle down effect on services and goods.

Last edited:
I paid almost $4 a gallon yesterday. A few month ago it was less than $2. Some states are reporting prices close to yours. A big change for us in short time.

It can have a significant impact on individual budgets not to mention the trickle down effect on services and goods.
Where are you that they have changed that much? It's only about a 30-40 cent change where I am, and prices have dropped recently. The lowest they got to last year was around 2.25. In January it was around 2.40. It jumped up to around 2.90 during the pipeline issue, and is now back down to about 2.70-2.75.

I didn't have any issues with buying my house that I bought recently as far as pricing goes. Got it for less than asking price, and the asking price was actually about $5K less than the estimate. But it was tricky with how fast the houses were going, so I did have that struggle. Also bought a new car for what I thought was a good deal. Haven't noticed any changes in food prices around here either.

Where are you that they have changed that much? It's only about a 30-40 cent change where I am, and prices have dropped recently. The lowest they got to last year was around 2.25. In January it was around 2.40. It jumped up to around 2.90 during the pipeline issue, and is now back down to about 2.70-2.75.

Same for me in AZ. They dropped as low as $1.80 during the lockdown, and now they're about $2.85. I've seen gas prices as high as $3.00. We were not impacted by the gas pipeline shutdown. Right now, this feels very seasonal to me.

If gas prices is a huge part of someone's budget, I'd recommend a Prius or RAV4 Hybrid. I'd definitely not buy a pick-up with a tight budget.

And this is why we need to make things in America. We are far to dependent on goods coming to us that are make in other countries like China. We need made in America. Not only would it be good for our country but it would create MANY GOOD PAYING JOBS.

I heard the other day that the drilling leases for oil/fossil fuel in Alaska were all pulled back. That is not going to help fuel prices. Also killing the pipelines doesn't help. We are now going back to the old way of being dependent on other countries for our fuel. What do you think is going to happen. The prices are going to go up.

The housing market reminds me of what was happening in 2007/2008 before the market crashed. So many people paid too much for their houses and it looks like it's happening again. I'm glad I'm not doing any major renovations or buying at home at this time. I feel bad for those who are.

As far as groceries go I think it has been costing us more throughout the pandemic and it continues. I do think if you shop the sales you can do ok on some items. It helps if you have a freezer so you can buy when on sale and freeze for later use.

It's not so much that we are importing goods, as it is the just-in-time supply system. Really doesn't matter if the goods are coming from abroad or domestic, but if the supply chain is disrupted even for a little while (let alone a year-long pandemic), the whole system grinds to a halt. Yes, warehousing goods is a cost, but it's worth it in the long run, because you can keep working when those who depend on JIT inventory cannot. When it comes to durable goods and items that commonly need replacement parts, I try wherever possible to do business with firms who own their own warehouses and keep their own supply stock.

Also, FWIW, this is a really good time to look back at WW2 and the supply practices that Americans turned to at the time. It won't solve all the problems, but using what already exists vs. creating from scratch is a good start.

I feel fortunate to be in a good place right now. No need to move houses and no renovations needed. I did need to have an exterior door replaced and my contractor offered to go to Habitat ReStore and check what they had. I have a non-standard opening, so we were just looking for a solid wooden door. He was able to find one just like my old one for $25. Pretty cool! While he was there, I had him look at my screened back porch that has some wood rot in places. He said the support beams were solid and I was perfectly safe to hold off for another year or more, if I wanted to. Not that there is a lot of material going into that job, but it's still nice to know I can do it at my leisure and wait until some of this craziness is over.

I'm actually scrapping it (a $1,200 KitchenAid only 2 years old) and buying a new one in a couple of weeks. I'll be taking whatever brand and model is in stock and ready to go out the door.
Yup...our 4 year old $1500+ fridge died in midst of Aug last year and i had to grab the only model I could find in stock that fit my space - everything else had 8-12+ weeks backorder dates. I actually hate the one I was stuck buying, but immensely grateful to have it in stock and delivered in 6 days. Living in Florida with no fridge and storing everything in an ice cooler in the August heat was brutal.

If you check the CNBC link I posted above, you'll see the degree of increases in various categories. Some examples, used cars have increased 21%, and lumber has more than doubled in price over the last year -- up 124%!

I am worried about hurricane season this year- if a cat 3+ hits and roofs or entire homes have to be rebuilt, what the heck are we going to do? The labor and materials shortages were bad enough during 05 after Wilma...prices were skyrocketing then...and that was just because of the storm.

I am worried about hurricane season this year- if a cat 3+ hits and roofs or entire homes have to be rebuilt, what the heck are we going to do? The labor and materials shortages were bad enough during 05 after Wilma...prices were skyrocketing then...and that was just because of the storm.
You're right, but the chance of your house getting hit by a Cat 3 are pretty small. I'm about 1/2 way through replacing my hurricane shutters right now and they'd better be completely done by the time we get back from a one-week road trip to St. Augustine and Atlanta! This has been going on since FEBRUARY!

We went through the recovery from Andrew, so we can get through pretty much anything.

Last edited:
Same for me in AZ. They dropped as low as $1.80 during the lockdown, and now they're about $2.85. I've seen gas prices as high as $3.00. We were not impacted by the gas pipeline shutdown. Right now, this feels very seasonal to me.

If gas prices is a huge part of someone's budget, I'd recommend a Prius or RAV4 Hybrid. I'd definitely not buy a pick-up with a tight budget.
Definitely agree about the gas prices being on par with the season. I'm not sure if/why people didn't expect gas prices to go up for the summer and as more people are travelling after being restricted. Makes sense to me.

Definitely agree about the gas prices being on par with the season. I'm not sure if/why people didn't expect gas prices to go up for the summer and as more people are travelling after being restricted. Makes sense to me.

There was nothing unexpected about gas prices. Now, real estate is bonkers.

To be fair isn't it always going to be that way? Country to country I mean.

For those of us in the U.S. it's just something people got used to with the pandemic and leading up to it. We sorta forgot when our gas prices was over $4/gallon when you could hardly drive because you couldn't afford it. To you $4/ gallon (or the L equivalent) seems amazing but it was not for us here, it was horrible.

But really it's all in relation to what was going on.

Gas pricing is cyclical it goes up it goes down it's just being compacted right now by the pandemic and covid situation where we saw low gas pricing. I mean $1.20/ gallon that we saw in our area last year compared to $2.85 today when we filled up is a startling increase even though we all know it fluctuates.

That makes sense, if we had to start paying $4/L it would be a huge shock to us.

There are a lot of things at play here. The Fed's balance sheet was 800 Billion before the Great Recession....and then they had no choice but to start printing like crazy during that recession. But that balance sheet has remained at about 4 trillion for many years after that. When the pandemic hit and we shut down a huge percentage of our economy, they had no choice again but to print like crazy. It was the equivalent of applying paddles to the patient to shock us back to life. A bit over a year later, that balance sheet is 8 trillion. And so there's a *lot* of cheap money sloshing around right now and it's looking for places to go. That's sort of the over-arching factor of this whole thing.

Another factor is we have had a supply chain interruption like we've never seen in modern times. And there are some really weird dislocations taking place as a result. The lumber shortage is an interesting one. There is plenty of raw material....plenty of trees to be milled. Tree farmers aren't making big money on this. But the mills shut down for a period of time during the pandemic. And so they got way behind in producing lumber. And when they restarted they couldn't produce as much because they needed to take precautions due to the virus. And you can't just build a new mill in order to produce more lumber....not quickly anyway. Plus, a new state of art mill costs about 2 Billion dollars. So...prices have skyrocketed. The lumber mills are cleaning up.

New cars...chip shortage. Used cars....way up because you can't get a new car. Demand for cars is up overall because there's a lot of stimulus money/excess savings floating around because people didn't really do much spending for an entire year. We have the highest savings rate here in the U.S. that I can remember. And a lot of people moved out of cities and as they get called back to work many want to avoid mass transit. So they now need a car.

The housing market is a hybrid issue if you ask me. Definitely a supply shortage, again, due to the slow down of building during the pandemic. Then factor in many people moving out of cities to the suburbs and exurbs to buy a home. And then there's just the normal number of 20 and 30-somethings who are first time home buyers. Throw in historically low interest rates....and you've got a white hot housing market. The supply shortage and hot market don't concern me, but we've now reached the "frenzy" level of the exercise, with multiple bidders on properties all over the country....launching prices beyond comps, and reason. I'm not sure we'll see a crash, but we're going to see the pendulum swing back a bit for sure.

As for gas, well, it always goes up at this time of the year. Also, we're rapidly reopening now and so demand is way up. And I'm old enough to remember April of 2020 when the price of a barrel of oil actually went negative...and refiners were having to pay dearly for storage if they even pumped the oil out of the ground. Some went out of business, and so...like the lumber mill example, fewer refiners mean less product, means higher costs.

Wages are up...because employers can't get enough help. Why? No, it's not just the expanded unemployment benefits, but it's likely a factor on some level. There's also the fact that many women had to leave the workforce to stay home to care for children who had been switched to remote learning. That's a huge number of people right there. They won't be back in force until there is childcare and/or school is back in session...in person. Also, thousands and thousands of immigrants, both legal and illegal, left the U.S. because there was no longer any work for them during the pandemic. A lot of them stayed in their countries when we reopened.

It all makes sense if you look at it logically. The big question is....what will the Fed do. Right now they continue to say that this is an inflationary spike due to the reopening....and that it's temporary. For now they're not indicating that they intend to shrink their balance sheet and raise rates...which will intentionally slow the economy down a bit. But I'm reading that they will begin to do so later this year, early next year at the latest.

There's also the fact that many women had to leave the workforce to stay home to care for children who had been switched to remote learning. That's a huge number of people right there. They won't be back in force until there is childcare and/or school is back in session...in person.
This is one of the major factors that really slips under the radar, and a point that Mohamed El-Erian makes toward the end of the video in the CNBC link I posted on Page 4.

Women are losing a lot of the gains they've made in the workplace in recent years, and that's especially devastating for single parents who lost jobs and minorities.

Is it a normal uprise for the summer following a pandemic?

That's the thing right? This is our first "everything is open!!" post-pandemic summer. We're all learning as we go.

I did read this morning though that the treasury secretary expects inflation to rise to 3.0% overall. The Fed's target is 2.0% and so they'll move to raise rates to bring things back in line if that's the case. In the meantime they're trying not to spook the markets.

For those saying gas always increases in the summer, our gas price is $1.00 more per gallon than it was at this exact same time last year. It’s crazy. Also, we were looking into buying a used 2017 Camry for our son. Over a couple of months time the exact same car went up $4,000. We were lucky to find someone at DH’s work that was selling a car well below market value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter