Everything Park Reservations - Please Read Post 1

Can someone explain why Disney requires reservations for parks now? Just out of curiosity mostly. It makes sense to me on the busiest days when parks are at capacity, but what about slower times? It doesn't seem like it should be necessary if the park isn't at capacity. If someone shows up at a park without a reservation, will they absolutely not be let in? Or is it more of a "take your chances" thing, like a restaurant reservation where they'll let you in as long as they still have room?

Thanks!

Reservations are there 100% for Disney’s benefit. They use them to right size staffing in the parks. That’s why even slow days have longer waits now.

If you show up without one you will have to make one when you get there. They won’t let you enter without one.

Can someone explain why Disney requires reservations for parks now? Just out of curiosity mostly. It makes sense to me on the busiest days when parks are at capacity, but what about slower times? It doesn't seem like it should be necessary if the park isn't at capacity. If someone shows up at a park without a reservation, will they absolutely not be let in? Or is it more of a "take your chances" thing, like a restaurant reservation where they'll let you in as long as they still have room?

Thanks!
Disney rarely explains why they do certain things, park reservations included. For the foreseeable future they're here to say. My personal guess is they use them for data analytics but again, only a guess as Disney will never say.

Reservations are there 100% for Disney’s benefit. They use them to right size staffing in the parks. That’s why even slow days have longer waits now.

If you show up without one you will have to make one when you get there. They won’t let you enter without one.
Do you know how that works? Like if you get to MK with no reservation, can you make a reservation then and there for MK if it's not full? If it is full, do you have to make one for another park? What if they're all full as far as reservations go but you have a ticket that's only good on that day? Are you out the money you paid or do they keep one park open for reservations?

Do you know how that works? Like if you get to MK with no reservation, can you make a reservation then and there for MK if it's not full? If it is full, do you have to make one for another park? What if they're all full as far as reservations go but you have a ticket that's only good on that day? Are you out the money you paid or do they keep one park open for reservations?
You must have a park reservation in order to enter a park.

If you arrive at a park without a reservation and there is availability yes, you may make one on MDE and enter the park.

If all parks are full for park reservations but you have a park ticket for that day you will need to use it a different day when you’re able to make a reservation. If that day’s ticket is more expensive, you will be required to pay the difference in the price.

Disney will not sell a ticket for a day where all parks have reached capacity for reservations but if you purchase a ticket and didn’t book a reservation, you are risking not being allowed access ho a park that day.

Please read post 1 for additional details.

Like every thing else at WDW I assume park reservation run out faster at peak periods of the year. One of my daughters has an annual pass that expires during our trip. So I can't reserve parks for her for latter part of the trip until her pass is renewed 60 days prior. Just curious if it's normal for there still to be availability at non-peak periods (last week of April) at 60 days out?

Like every thing else at WDW I assume park reservation run out faster at peak periods of the year. One of my daughters has an annual pass that expires during our trip. So I can't reserve parks for her for latter part of the trip until her pass is renewed 60 days prior. Just curious if it's normal for there still to be availability at non-peak periods (last week of April) at 60 days out?
For APs it's rare that reservations run out at 60 days. I stayed offsite through Jersey week last week and needed 4 additional reservations which I was able to get during the trip after I used one of my pre-booked ones (9 park days in all, had 5 reserved before the trip which is the max for my pass).

No CM magic for park reservations. Availability can occur at any time.

If you have park hoppers/upgrade to PHs you can go to any park after 2pm (you do have to tap into your reserved park first to activate the 2pm park hopping feature 🙄).
I have seen magic about 2 dozen times including as recent as the 19th of November MK. I've also been on receiving end of that magic for a late add to our trip at DHS that could not get reservations.
It happens alot.

I have seen magic about 2 dozen times including as recent as the 19th of November MK. I've also been on receiving end of that magic for a late add to our trip at DHS that could not get reservations.
It happens alot.
I don’t disagree that it can and does happen, it’s just we don’t want to set up false expectations for people. It can happen but is not guaranteed, especially if someone is looking to create a new reservation, not adding a reservation to an existing group. Those seem to happen a little more often but again, not always.

There's been some really random dates that run out that make little sense so I hesitate to risk it.
One option is to purchase tickets to use to make park reservation then apply those tickets towards the AP renewal.
I look at it as sort of a payment plan towards AP renewal.

Next Wednesday, January 4. We are going to be at Magic Kingdom. We have one park per day tickets but wanted to take a midday break. Is there a chance we wouldn’t be able to get back in or is it guaranteed? Thanks!

Thanks! I was worried if it was at capacity we couldn’t get back in. I’m glad to know that if we only have one park per day, we’d have no problem returning. I hope this helps someone else as well.

Next Wednesday, January 4. We are going to be at Magic Kingdom. We have one park per day tickets but wanted to take a midday break. Is there a chance we wouldn’t be able to get back in or is it guaranteed? Thanks!
If you have park reservations for Magic Kingdom even on a super crowded day like NYE you will be allowed back in. Park hopping can be paused temporarily on high crowd days like 4th July and NYE but Jan 4 should be ok.

Thanks! I was worried if it was at capacity we couldn’t get back in. I’m glad to know that if we only have one park per day, we’d have no problem returning. I hope this helps someone else as well.
I think there was only one extreme scenario pre-registration days where they denied all further entries. Jan 4 will not be a problem except if there is a freak weather event or something.

Your question has been merged with the Everything Theme Park Reservations thread. Lots of info in post 1.

A park reservation guarantees admittance to that park from open to close including exiting and re-entering.

Hello, I'm looking at swapping parks on two days in mid-March. When I select modify park reservation, it shows no availability for many of my days. I'm worried if I cancel my park reservations and try to rebook, there will be nothing available. Are parks really booked this far out?

Attachments

• d res.jpg
    d res.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3
Hello, I'm looking at swapping parks on two days in mid-March. When I select modify park reservation, it shows no availability for many of my days. I'm worried if I cancel my park reservations and try to rebook, there will be nothing available. Are parks really booked this far out?
That's prime Spring Break time, so they very well might be booked up.

At this time according to the park availability calendar on the MDE app all dates are still available at all parks but it's best to check yourself as canceling and rebooking comes with a risk during busier dates. Unfortunately, the way the system is designed, the only way to change a park is to have an open day to book so you would need to cancel a park date in order to rebook it at a different park. Wish it was not this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter