Expert Cancellation Help Needed...I tore my ACL

Divamomto3

<font color=CC99FF>The Tag Fairy advises you to lo
I'm too numb to even add in the crying face.

On Saturday, I was in Virginia Beach. I was in 4 inches of water watching my 5 year old play in the sand. The surf was rough...Tropical Storm Franklin was off in the Atlantic somewhere. A huge wave came and knocked me and some of my friends right over. My body went one way, my leg stayed firmly planted in the soft sand. I heard a loud snap and from that point on, I couldn't bear any weight on my right leg. After a 9 hour ride home, an ER visit, 2 sets of xrays, an MRI, and 2 visits with an orthopedic surgeon this week, I have a completely torn right ACL. It has to be reconstructed. So I'm going to the knee expert in the morning to get a surgery date and find out how long I'm going to be immobile. Needless to say, my August 13-August 24th DVC stay at SSR/AKL/BCV that I've been planning for 11 months is not going to happen. I'm trying to stay positive. I feel sorry for myself, but I know that some people have it much, much worse. Not only is my vacation impossible, but I was also supposed to start a new job on Monday. When it rains, it pours.

My concerns are the cancellation consequences. I understand that the points will go into a holding account and I will only be able to make a reservation 60 days or less out. My use year is February. I feel that I will be able to travel in November, December, or January. My concern is that 151 of the points used to make this reservation, were banked from 2004. Can I still put those points into the holding account for the replacement winter trip?

I'm trying to see the bright side..I've always wanted to see the Christmas decorations (although I may have a hard time getting a Dec. ressie) and I wasn't looking forward to the oppressive August heat in Florida, but the 5 of us are certainly very disappointed. I just want to be sure that all of these points will be available until the end of the year. I won't be able to stay the planned 11 nights, but I'll be using the points on the weekend so I will need them all.

Help, prayers, and pixie dust are appreciated. I'm sad, scared, and a little depressed. Thanks DVC'ers.

I'm so sorry for your accident and pain. Hope the surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

All the points you used for the reservation go into holding once you cancel since it is less than 31 days before your scheduled arrival. All of them (banked or current) will now expire at the end of yor 2005 use year - 1/31/2006.

Sending good luck so that you get the reservation you want with the holding account poiunts. Keep in mind that if you end up using those points at one of the non-DVC resorts (an option if DVC resorts aren't available when you want to go) and you want to stay in December or January, you have to make the reservation for a stay in those two months at least 61 days prior to the end of your use year. That's in addition to making it 60 days or less prior to arrival. It can be a little triucky using holding points for a non-DVC resort near the end of your use year (because the 60 day rule still applies).

Best wishes-

Sorry to hear of your ACL problems. I'm sure you'll have a successful surgery as orthopedic surgeons are able to accomplish some amazing results.

Any/all points used for this reservation will go into the "Holding Account" and all will have the same use requirements regardless if they were current or banked points before used for the reservation. If all points were from the February Use Year, you will have until the end of January to use them for a reservation. You may be able to enjoy some of the holiday decorations with a reservation even in early January - so if there is little availability from late November thru December, you may still be OK with those plans.

Good luck with your surgery!

Thanks so much Carol. I'm willing to stay in any onsite DVC for a week, pretty much anytime in Nov, Dec, or Jan (except for the holidays). I'm hoping it won't be too difficult.

Appreciate the encouragement.....

Divamomto3, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! Something similar happened to me several years ago. I fell after we wiped out white water rafting (yes, I said after...I was wet and in an extremely weakened state, and I fell out of a bus!!!) I know, I know, it seems funny now, but it wasn't then. I broke my leg (first broken bone that I'd ever had, and I was forty at the time), and it turned out that that was the least of my problems (torn ligaments and tendons and a big mess). Anyway, it's a long story but all is well now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

The real reason that I'm writing is to tell you that I just bought into DVC yesterday (yea!!!), and I asked my guide to clarify the scenarios concerning banking deadlines, etc. He told me about the less-than-thirty-one-day-out cancellation policy, but then added that those rules are relaxed in the case of a medication emergency or disaster of some sort. It seems like you would fall under this category. I would suggest that you call MS tomorrow and explain your circumstances to them. Maybe you have more options than you think. Hope so!

Sending my prayers and best wishes. Keep us posted! :flower:

DivaMomto3 (love the name)

So sorry to hear about your accident, the ride home must have been horrible. I hope your surgery consult goes well and there are no more unpleasant surprises. How old are your other children?, its tuf being incapacitated when you need to take care of young children. Are you still able to take the new job? or have they said thanks but no thanks?

Here are some bright sides to having to change your vacation dates; First, parts of November, December and all of January are value seasons so your points will go further and second, because it is value season it will be less crowded (try to avoid marathon weekend) also since it will most likely not be in the high 90's everyday the pools will not be crowded and you should have no wait on the water slides.

Hopefully all goes well and your up and around real soon :wizard: :wizard:

My other children are 13 and 10.
I'm a nurse at the same hospital for 17 years. I've been at the bedside in the ICU for that whole time and next week I was supposed to take a position as a night shift nurse educator. I left 2 voice mails for the new boss....haven't heard yet. I'm sure I'd be welcomed back at the bedside if I had to give up the new job and frankly, it's the least of my worries. I just want to make sure I have a job of some sort, as I'm the carrier of the medical benefits for my family and obviously...I really need them now!

The business of "medical emergencies and extenuating circumstances" seems to depend greatly on which CM you talk with at DVC.

I was at SSR last September. I was supposed to check out of SSR and go on a cruise on the Magic, but we got hit by Jeane. I had to book 2 additional days at a resort, etc.

My use year is April, so I had till September 30 to bank points. I banked my points right before we left for WDW...somewhere about 9/15. When on 9/24, I stood at the SSR check in desk and called DVC to make an additional 2 nights "emergency" reservation due to the hurricane, I did ask if there was any way I could use some of those banked points rather than borrowing from the next year. I got the party line of "no, once points are banked, that's final." I accepted that, and didn't have a problem with it until I got onto the ship....and met other people who WERE allowed to use previously banked points due to the emergency of being stuck at WDW with the hurricane. I also met a lady who was allowed to use supposedly unavailable banked points when a family member was hospitalized in the Orlando area.

I truly don't have a problem with them sticking to the written policy. I do have a problem with "sometimes we stick to policy and sometimes we make exceptions."

kcashner said:
The business of "medical emergencies and extenuating circumstances" seems to depend greatly on which CM you talk with at DVC.

I was at SSR last September. I was supposed to check out of SSR and go on a cruise on the Magic, but we got hit by Jeane. I had to book 2 additional days at a resort, etc.

My use year is April, so I had till September 30 to bank points. I banked my points right before we left for WDW...somewhere about 9/15. When on 9/24, I stood at the SSR check in desk and called DVC to make an additional 2 nights "emergency" reservation due to the hurricane, I did ask if there was any way I could use some of those banked points rather than borrowing from the next year. I got the party line of "no, once points are banked, that's final." I accepted that, and didn't have a problem with it until I got onto the ship....and met other people who WERE allowed to use previously banked points due to the emergency of being stuck at WDW with the hurricane. I also met a lady who was allowed to use supposedly unavailable banked points when a family member was hospitalized in the Orlando area.

I truly don't have a problem with them sticking to the written policy. I do have a problem with "sometimes we stick to policy and sometimes we make exceptions."

I agree...I'm sure that this is a judgment call, and some CMs would have a different understanding of what defines an emergency. But my guide's assurance would give me the confidence to be persistent (I'm usually pretty soft spoken and easy going) if the occasion were to arise. I think the OP would definitely be in a situation where she should get special consideration.

Continued best wishes. :grouphug:

Divamomto3, don't cancel your ressies until you find out when your surgery is. With an ACL reconstruction, you will be on crutches for quite awhile, up to 3 months, I think, with quite a bit of rehab. You may end up doing WDW in a wheelchair--at least I did. :sad: Since you may have to use a wheelchair no matter when you go this fall, you may want to keep your August ressies, depending upon when your surgery is scheduled. I am sending you pixie dust for an early surgery date :wizard: Once you have your date, THEN cancel if it's an early date.

By the way, two years ago there was a power outage in the easten and midwestern US. I was flying to Orlando for 3 nights, and I couldn't get any flight out. A call to DVC got all my points--borrowed and used from holding--put back into my regular account, so I could use them the following year. If a CM can't help you with your points, ask for a supervisor. They CAN help if they want to. ;)

My surgery is August 23rd. I start PT 3 days post op. My surgeon is using a cadaver graft. He led me to believe that I'd be able to go back to work (as a nurse) after 6 weeks. I'm assuming, barring complications, I'll be able to walk through WDW after 14 weeks. If I can't...I'll have to get a wheelchair, but at least the surgery will be behind me and it won't be on my mind. I'm not sure if I"m making the right decision, but I can't imagine doing WDW right now, with a huge leg immoblizer, crutches, wheelchair, and no ACL and no ability to weight bear without my knee flying out from under me. At the very worst scenario...I lose a year and a half's worth of points and I pray that I will someday walk normally again and enjoy the other 49 years of my DVC membership.

This whole situation, I suspect, is going to make me a much more philosophical person and a stronger one.

Again DIS'ers...thanks all so much for the pixie dust and sage advice. You guys are the best!!
P.S. I haven't cancelled anything yet!

You are fortuneate to have gotten such an early date for your surgery. When you call to get your points back, tell them when your surgery is, too, that will help.

You are lucky to be off crutches after 6 weeks--maybe I'm a baby. I actually couldn't use crutches, I used a WALKER, which an 83 year old friend loaned to me :rotfl: and I had 3 months of therapy. Of course, I have terrific health care, so maybe....no, they wouldn't stretch out my recovery just because it was paid for... :rolleyes:

FYI . . . I have had two arthoscopic (spelling?) surgeries on my knee. 1st one for ACL and second for cartilage. Went back a few years later to find that my ACL was gone (snapped and disintegrated). Had reconstruction. I was up and moving pretty early. If you have a good doc and take your physcial therapy seriously, you may be walking around somewhat effortlessly within a month! Since my surgery, I ran the Disney 1/2 marathon and the Disney full marathon (I am not a "runner" and do NOT have a runner's body - IOW - I'm not small.) The knee had held up rather well aside from ocassional arthritis and needing to take a break now and then from working out. You will be up and moving sooner than you think!

DivaMomto3

Glad to hear your three children are not all under the age of 5, at least they'll be able to help you alittle.

I think i would have the same thoughts as you in getting the surgery over with as soon as possible so that you can get on with the recovery and get back to normal as soon as possible. I think thats great your getting this done on the 23rd. If I had the option, i also would not want to go to wdw in a wheelchair, especially in August. I would try to move it.

Have you heard back from your "new" bose yet??, since you've been with the same hospital for so many years i would hope they would take that in to consideration and not leave you jobless.

I really believe if you explain your situation to wdw , offering to mail any documentation of the accident and/or surgery schedule they would be accomodating about giving you an extension. If your guide is unable to make that type decission, politely ask to speak to a supervisor.

hoping everything goes well.

Yes Dee, I heard back from my boss and everything is fine...I worried for nothing. Of course, her and I are both assuming I can be back at work by early October. I can't guess what's going to happen, I can only pray for the best outcome. I'm young, not sedentary (although now more than ever I wish my weight were lower) and will do whatever this doc tells me to do. He is supposed to be one of the top knee guys in New England so I'm putting my full faith in him.

My new job is technically away from the constant direct bedside. I'm supposed to respond to emergencies and be a resource for nurses whose patients are unstable on floors where they don't usually get those types of patients and transport to tests and ICU's. I need to be able to stand and walk, but there will be opportunities for me to sit if I have to. The old 12 hour stand by the bedside ICU job would not have guaranteed that.

Can't do anything but visualize the best possible outcome.

WebmasterDoc said:
Sorry to hear of your ACL problems. I'm sure you'll have a successful surgery as orthopedic surgeons are able to accomplish some amazing results.

Any/all points used for this reservation will go into the "Holding Account" and all will have the same use requirements regardless if they were current or banked points before used for the reservation. If all points were from the February Use Year, you will have until the end of January to use them for a reservation. You may be able to enjoy some of the holiday decorations with a reservation even in early January - so if there is little availability from late November thru December, you may still be OK with those plans.

Good luck with your surgery!

Doc...I'm a relative Newbie, so I hate to dispense bad advice. But can't the OP add 9 points to his 151 and deposit the 160 points into II or something like that? :confused3

I certainly hope you are feeling better soon and your recovery will be swift and complete!

Tom

Divamom

I am a PT and if you work hard in rehab, you should have an excellent recovery. I see no reason why you won't be walking around the world at less than or equal to 3 months post op, if you dedicate yourself to your rehab.

Good luck with your surgery and remember that PT doesn't stand for pain and torture! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter