Expiring points...what would you do?

disneydreamer781

Just a little bit of pixie dust...
Hello all! I'm curious what others might do in this situation. My husband had a fall and has a SAH categorized as a mild head injury. He was told he had a clean bill of health and it may be something to do with the vagus nerve. Scans came out positive and he was he should make a full recovery but with performing the scans something else was spotted that probably will have to be dealt with. Strangely enough, no one even brought it up in discussing his treatment going forward. I only noticed it when we were leaving as I saw it on his discharge papers but that's a story for another day. :sad2: Needless to say, I don't what the near future is going to hold until perhaps the weekend because he is seeing his PCP tomorrow morning. I may not even know then. I've only have 6 days (May 18 check-in) to make a decision whether to cancel to avoid points going into holding.

The thing is the points expire August 31. Would it be best just to wait it out beyond the 6 days? Obviously, at 30 days the points go into holding but since the points will expire anyway at the end of August does it really matter? I know I only can book 60 days out from check-in but again they're expiring this summer anyway. We are not able to go this summer so at the most I would have to rent them. Am I missing something else?

Last edited:
Given that they would be expiring end of August anyone, I would just keep it until later, and not worry about holding status.

This way, it gives you a full month to decide.

i would just try to rent out the reservation you currently have, rather than the points, especially if the resort is desirable. take the money and put it towards the next trip. best wishes to your husband.

Well, it turns out the information about something else being spotted is false. So I apologize.

In looking closer at all the stapled paperwork on the very top is another patient's name! So he ended up with another patient's medical information and diagnosis within his discharge paperwork. Can you believe it? I was literally freaking out! I checked all his test results online and couldn't find anything and now I know why and also why they never said anything. Oh my gosh! I know mistakes happen but... o_O So hopefully all will be well because I don't have the other issue hanging over my head. As long as he improves with the head injury which he seems to be, all should be well but it is good to know what people would chose to do because you never know.

Well, it turns out the information about something else being spotted is false. So I apologize.

In looking closer at all the stapled paperwork on the very top is another patient's name! So he ended up with another patient's medical information and diagnosis within his discharge paperwork. Can you believe it? I was literally freaking out! I checked all his test results online and couldn't find anything and now I know why and also why they never said anything. Oh my gosh!
That type of thing sounds like a lawsuit in the making. Breaks HIPPA laws for one thing.

So hopefully all will be well because I don't have the other issue hanging over my head. As long as he improves with the head injury which he seems to be, all should be well but it is good to know what people would chose to do because you never know.
I hope he recovers well from the head injury - recovery is more important than speed.

I hope he recovers well from the head injury - recovery is more important than speed.
Most definitely. He's doing better but it may take time. His Neurologist told him scans were good and he should make a full recovery. Told him he could drive again in a couple of weeks and when off Keppra which will be tomorrow. We're taking it day by day now and will have to see how he progresses. I'm just trying to make some decision on reservation but I think we will just wait on it. Points can always be rented.

Last edited:

Last year I realized I had points expiring with less than 30 days. I made a last minute reservation using all but 10 points and then I put those days for rent at a discounted price. It got picked up immediately. Win win for me and the couple that purchased the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter