External flashes

I have a larger Speedlite, and just last year picked up the 270EX for the same reasons. I like having an external flash for my people and character shots at Disney, and I loved the compact size of this one.

I don't recall that it was very expensive. I think mine was around $125 with free shipping. So I don't think I'd rent it. I'd probably just buy it.

Alright, I'll look into trying to purchase one since you said they are relatively cheap.

So for your character shots did you rotate the flash to 90 to bounce the light off the ceilings so to not wash out the picture?

Alright, I'll look into trying to purchase one since you said they are relatively cheap.

So for your character shots did you rotate the flash to 90 to bounce the light off the ceilings so to not wash out the picture?

No, I didn't use the bounce feature. I just dialed it down a little for some direct fill flash. I also have a diffuser on it. I have generally found the surroundings at Disney too inconsistent for me to try bouncing the flash, especially since I'm so new at it.

No, I didn't use the bounce feature. I just dialed it down a little for some direct fill flash. I also have a diffuser on it. I have generally found the surroundings at Disney too inconsistent for me to try bouncing the flash, especially since I'm so new at it.

Cool, so what did you dial the flash down to so it wasn't too overpowering?

I'm new to trying to use a flash too.

Okay, I have my first trip to the World with my DSLR coming up. (5 weeks from today, we get on the plane.) I got my DSLR (Sony a330) back in March and I have been learning about it from the moment the battery charged up. I've been so impressed with the capabilities of a DSLR (and the two lenses I added to my collection) to capture good pictures with available light only that, I must admit, 99.9% of my shooting has been with the on-camera flash disabled completely. I am feeling pretty darn confident that I will be able to get some good shots when the light/my lenses/my knowledge of the settings allow me to do so.

However, my daughter's first MNSSHP will occur during this trip, and the girl is character CRAZY. We will be doing meet and greets almost exclusively for the entire duration of the party, the way things are looking right now. These meet and greets are outdoors, mostly after sundown, and she (and the wonderful character performers) are so active during meet and greets that I know with my combo of lenses I will not be able to get an aperture wide enough to get a fast shutter speed that can capture those moments.

Let me state right now for the record that if my lack of knowledge leads me to a bunch of blurry, unusable pictures from my daughter's first MNSSHP, I will jump off a building. (Well, maybe not a building, but a really really tall box or something, and that might sprain an ankle. You can see my problem here.) I am serious about being able to capture these moments at these meet and greets, and I know you have somewhat limited time at some of the more popular ones at this party.

I *DO* plan to go outside here at home after sundown and get some practice, but me and my nearly-unused on-board flash are complete strangers and I'm not ever sure where to start. That is where any of you with kind, open hearts may be able to make some suggestions to give me an idea of where I should start so I can develop these skills for my trip.

SO!

1) I usually shoot in manual. When using an on-board flash and your concern is getting sharp pictures in the dark while the people you are shooting may be moving around quite a bit, is switching to shutter priority the proper thing to do? Once I give the flash a setting other than "off" and then turn the camera to shutter priority, does that give me the best chance of getting usable pics?

2) Flash setting. I've got "Fill", "Slow", and "Rear". In the limited amount of testing I've been able to do so far, I've been trying slow and rear with mixed results. Is there any sort of rule of thumb for this setting and this situation that might be my best bet?

3) Given the following lenses, which one am I likely to get the best results with when combined with using the flash? 1) 1.8/50 2) kit lens, 3.5-5.6/15-55 or 3) 5.6-32/70-210.

Related question: Am I more likely to avoid a total flash overexposure blow-out at more closed apertures? (Or is the camera likely to be able to adjust the aperture appropriately to avoid blow-out if I'm shooting in shutter priority?) Will shooting at faster shutter speeds in shutter priority be fast enough and moderate the light from the flash enough to keep this from happening, or should I stay vigilant about adjusting for this as I look at the captures on the LCD?

4) Is there any sort of doo-dad under $100 (say, an additional lens that screws onto one of my existing lenses, a filter, something like that) which would aid me in taking these pictures? We're not at a point right now that I can shell out for any of the more expensive lenses that would probably make this much easier, but I have accumulated some credit at Amazon and I could justify anything up to that $100 ceiling if it will help me capture these possibly once-in-a-lifetime shots at this MNSSHP. As I still have five weeks, I should have enough time for something ordered through Amazon to reach me before the trip if I get on the stick soon.

I know this has been a book. I appreciate the time spent of anyone who is still reading at this point. If you have any pointers or helpful hints/suggestions for me, I'd be really grateful.

This item could help. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522116-REG/Gary_Fong_PUF_RETAIL.html

You will probably want to use the kit lens. The 50mm or 70mm will probably be too much focal length and cause you to not get everything in the shot. Most characters at the party will not have much interesting behind them, so backgrounds are probably not going to be much of a concern. If there happens to be a background you want to get, you will need to slow the shutter down, which might lead you to speeds where you need a tripod or monopod.

Just remember that onboard flashes are fairly weak so you will have to be relatively close to your subject, which shouldn't be a problem with character meets. I would practice in various lighting conditions and read your manual. There should be a chart or something that will tell you your effective distances.

Here are a few tips that I've learned over the past couple years through a lot of trial-and-error (mostly "error"). You actually may already know these tips, so please bear with me.

First, I actually don't like the built-in flash on the camera. It's a very weak flash. And, at least on the Canon, it flashes a seizure-inducing strobe before the camera actually takes the picture. Very annoying.

I actually prefer an external flash. External flashes are much more powerful and easier to control. The better external flashes also allow you to point the head of the flash in different directions so that you can "bounce" the flash off walls or off ceilings for larger, prettier, more diffuse, directional light.

For character pictures, though, I personally use an external flash pointed straight at my subjects. Oftentimes, there really isn't a ceiling or a wall to "bounce" my flash off of.

(I actually wrote the following back in June, so if you've already read this, then you're done reading my post...)

When you're taking a flash picture, you've actually got TWO different exposures going on at the same time: the foreground exposure and the background exposure. The flash helps with the foreground exposure. Your camera settings determine the background exposure. That's the key to flash photography!

I typically set the flash to TTL ("through the lens"), which is the flash's "auto" mode. In general, TTL does a pretty good job on its own, so I just set it and forget it. You might need to add or subtract a little Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) depending on whether you've got a lot of white or a lot of black in your photo, respectively. In simple terms, FEC adds / subtracts a little bit of power from the flash.

For indoor flash photography, I typically set my camera to Manual. Again, the camera settings (ie. shutter speed, aperture, ISO) control the background exposure. That's why when you increased your ISO, you saw that the background got brighter.

I typically start by taking a test shot without flash, just to get the correct camera settings to expose the background. Actually, it's okay if I slightly underexpose the background, too. That way, my foreground subject (lit by flash) can stand out from the slightly darker background.

Through lots of trial-and-error, I finally found some ballpark camera settings that work for me...at least as initial settings:
  • shutter speed - since my subject is posing, I really don't need a super-fast shutter speed. I just need a shutter speed that's fast enough to stop any camera shake. So I'll start with 1/100 sec. I might go as slow as 1/60 sec, which is the typical point-and-shoot shutter speed, or if I'm holding the camera really really steady (or if I'm trying to get a brighter background), I may go slightly slower.
  • aperture - I usually start with f/5.6 to get a little bit of depth of field for my subject. If my wife is posing with Donald Duck, I'd like to see both of them in-focus as much as possible, so that's why I start with f/5.6. (although, I should probably try plugging in some numbers in a depth-of-field calculator, just to see if I can go with larger apertures)
  • ISO - I typically start with ISO 400, if I can. But now with better camera sensors and improved Lightroom 3 noise reduction, I'm gonna start venturing out to ISO 800, if needed.

So these are the settings I use for *indoor* or *outdoor nighttime* flash photography. (btw, these settings for outdoor nighttime scenes will make the background completely black) The flash is in TTL.

For *outdoor daytime* flash photography, I'll set my camera to Aperture priority mode, and let the camera figure out the background exposure. The flash is still in TTL.

There are a couple other things you can do to brighten up your background in flash photography. First, instead of pointing the flash directly at your subject, see if you can point the flash at the ceiling (if the ceiling is not too high and if the ceiling is not some strange color). This will turn the ceiling into a HUGE light source, which will lighten up much of the background AND will soften the shadows.

The downside to this, though, is that the light is now coming from above your subjects, so you might get unflattering shadows under your subjects' eyes and nose, like racoons' eyes. I think there are a few flash accessories that help to address this by throwing a little bit of "fill flash" forward to your subject. They range from do-it-yourself flash accessories to overpriced stuff.

The other thing you can do is brighten the background in post-processing. Did you shoot in RAW? (it's okay if you didn't, but I think this works best with your RAW photo) You can use Lightroom to increase the Fill Light in the photo. The Fill Light slider brightens some of the shadows in the photo, so in your case, it should brighten the darker background. If you use too much Fill Light, you'll start to see a lot of noise in those areas.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the long post.

Let me state right now for the record that if my lack of knowledge leads me to a bunch of blurry, unusable pictures from my daughter's first MNSSHP, I will jump off a building. (Well, maybe not a building, but a really really tall box or something, and that might sprain an ankle. You can see my problem here.) I am serious about being able to capture these moments at these meet and greets, and I know you have somewhat limited time at some of the more popular ones at this party.

You're killing me..... Are you sure you're not talking about ME??????

My first suggestion is that you experiment with your built in flash right away to be sure it is what you want. I have had several Canon Rebels through the years. Some built in flashes were ok, some not so much. My big problem has been that I like to take lots of shots in quick succession when we meet the characters. But after the first few, the camera would "busy up" and make me wait until the flash recycled. When I use an external flash, it's not a problem. So I always bring an external flash to Disney. There's nothing worse than having the character standing there and you have to tell them to wait for your flash to recycle!

Also, I would suggest using your flash exposure compensation, which I'm just assuming you have. If your subjects look too washed out, just dial it down a bit.

I'll be watching your thread to see what pointers I can pick up as well. I still struggle with flash decisions.

Don't worry too much. With the flash, you are sure to get some nice sharp shots. We did MNSSHP last year and with the flash, even the night time character shots came out. I think there are some in my Flickr photostream linked below.

Good luck and be sure to post some for us when you get back!

p.s. Did you get the straps right on the back of the costume? :goodvibes

Thank you all for the advice so far. I am checking out that diffuser (and similar ones), checking out external flash options, planning to take a few test shots without flash to use as a reference, making a note to re-read the appropriate sections of the manual, and considering the recycle times on the built-in flash. (That last is a good point I'd forgotten. All of the flash stuff I've done so far have been tests, none of the shots have been in "keeper" territory. I've been studying the results in the LCD after taking shots for so long that I don't think it had occurred to me how slow the recycle is on the built-in.)

Oh, and I did make a *decision* on the straps of the Alice costume, mom2rtk. :) I don't know about "right", as animated Alice's apron seems to stay on her as an act of sheer will having nothing to do with traditional physics, but I ran the straps over her shoulders and connected them to the ties going around her waist. I actually just sewed them down yesterday, because I was vacillating on whether that was the right play or not. In the end, I think that method will stay put on her better than the other ones I considered.

And if that mental anguish wasn't enough, I ended up caving in and making the child an Aurora dress before our trip, too. That peplum and collar nearly sent me to the funny farm. To add insult to that injury, she asked me if the DRESS WOULD CHANGE COLOR like in the movie! OMG, kid. :)

I will check out your flickr stream, too, and check out the settings on those MNSSHP pictures. Gotta love EXIF.

Oh, and I did make a *decision* on the straps of the Alice costume, mom2rtk. :) I don't know about "right", as animated Alice's apron seems to stay on her as an act of sheer will having nothing to do with traditional physics, but I ran the straps over her shoulders and connected them to the ties going around her waist. I actually just sewed them down yesterday, because I was vacillating on whether that was the right play or not. In the end, I think that method will stay put on her better than the other ones I considered.

And if that mental anguish wasn't enough, I ended up caving in and making the child an Aurora dress before our trip, too. That peplum and collar nearly sent me to the funny farm. To add insult to that injury, she asked me if the DRESS WOULD CHANGE COLOR like in the movie! OMG, kid. :)

I will check out your flickr stream, too, and check out the settings on those MNSSHP pictures. Gotta love EXIF.

Gotta love those animated movies! They make ALL things possible.

Good momma for making Aurora too. That's one's a real challenge. I did do a half pink/half blue Aurora, but I still haven't done one that actually changed colors!

I can't wait to see what you come back with. We loved MNSSHP!

I was looking at other flashes and came across Rokinon iTTL AF Dedicated Flash for Nikon. Has anyone ever hear of it? Any pros/cons? Just like any other budget strapped new beginner, it was the price that caught my eye. Overstock.com had it for $60 at
http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...d=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11488634

If anything, I'd be using it for personal use at my cousin's wedding next month and for character meet and greets for the November trip.

Is it a horrible thing to stray away from your cameras brand? In theory, will it still function as well or close to a SB 600?

IIRC, it may just function as a generic flash which may not sync up as well with all of your camera's functions. Really only one way to know for sure though, and $60 is pretty tempting, but it is also $60 that can go towards your native flash.

I grabbed my native brand flash because it will carry over to my DSLR when I buy it. It was at a premium just under $300, but I managed to get one bestowed on me due to a certain upcoming holiday where gifts are exchanged. :rolleyes1 Another tactic is to ask everyone for $50 gift cards to the place that sells your flash. Check pawn shops too, lots of camera gear ends up there.

Make your subjects fund your addiction. That's what the pros do anyway.

This thing can light up a subject 90 feet away (supposedly). I have yet to find the need... but I am searching. It did light up the castle pretty good on an off the cuff shot... going to need to set up a real one at night. It also makes a huge difference over built-in flashes and is the best addition to a camera for great lighting. Totally worth going balls to the wall for and spending money on.

I just hate having to pull it out and use it, but when you have that mine's bigger than yours moment, as you create a mushroom cloud in the middle of future world, and blind everyone within 90 feet, you'll understand. It's like a photon torpedo vs a phaser.

My favorite though is just for a diffused directional bounce here and there.

Edit: actually, check the review http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11488634#custreviews

I know nothing about that one in particular, but be careful. Some old film era flashes run at a different voltage than DSLR ones and can cause damage to the camera that could ruin the camera and void the warranty. I am not saying this is one of those, but make sure before you risk it.

I am unfamiliar with that particular brand but I think in today's world you are looking at trouble with buying an off brand flash for any digital camera today, especially one that inexpensive.

Ukatfan is correct that some non digital flashes use a much higher voltage and can fry your camera.

Particularly with Nikon, their flash system is so good, you should save your money for an SB600 or higher.

I'll be the one to disagree here,, although I wouldn't buy a cheap flash like that I currently use 2 sigma flashes,

I originally had a minolta 5600 when I had my minolta 7D, I bought a sigma as a backup flash, plus to use 2 flashes off camera..

the sigma syncs perfectly even does wireless with my cameras...
when my minolta 5600 died on me, Sony offered to buy it from me since they didn't have the parts to fix it, I was surprised at what they gave me for it since it was out of warranty.

since my experience with the sigma was very positive I bought a second sigma, rather than spending another 100-150 for Sony's top flash at the time, I've actually been thinking of buying sigmas newer model to have 3 to use off camera for times I don't feel like packing up the studio lites for location shoots

Funny you should ask ... in the last couple of days, I've been looking into Nikon-compatible flash units. In my office, I have one SB-600. I have been thinking about getting another one so I could use the Nikon Creative Lighting System with my D300, and thereby replace the two Rockunar studio strobes (vintage and model unknown). Those strobes tend to be up on stands in this office (which is not a full-time studio) for months on end, with cables hanging and snaking hither and yon. Moving to the CLS would at least allow me to eliminate most of the wires and also make the set-up much more portable. Anyway, what I discovered is that there are many third-party flashes that are compatible with almost all features of reasonably current Nikon DSLR bodies. However, very few are compatible with the Creative Lighting System. Most will do full i-TTL as long as they're on the hot shoe, but off-camera ... well ...

In other words, if you think the Creative Lighting System's ability to use multiple flash units wirelessly off-camera and still have full i-TTL is something you might eventually use, choose very carefully. There are sites out there that specialize in and track this sort of information, so a Google search is your ally.

For the record, I did find some third-party units that could do the full Nikon CLS, including a couple of Sigma models. However, the downside is that you wouldn't really save money over buying the SB-600, and they also don't make it as easy for you to do CLS as the Nikon models do, even though they will work.

If the CLS isn't important to you at all, then I think I'd check into what the third-party companies offer. You just want to make sure, I expect, that whatever you choose can at least do full i-TTL whether on a hot shoe or via a tethered connection.

There are some very good off-brand flashes out there, ie, Metz and Sigma. Both are good products and work well with our cameras at a cheaper price. Some of us are on limited budgets and these fill the need.

I'll say this about Nikon's Flash system: No one can beat it. I've had my SB-600 for about 4 1/2 years now and it works perfectly and I use it a lot. I originally used it with the D50. 2 years ago I upgraded to the D300 and the flash system really opened up for me. I will now use 2 SB-600's off flash as slave's to the on board popup on the D300. This makes for a pretty inexpensive wireless portrait set up and you just can not get that with a 3rd party flash. You can't use the D5000's pop-up as a master flash, however you can get the SU-800 (about the same cost as a flash) to use as a wireless commander, or the SB-900 (or a used SB-800) will also work as a wireless master commander.

Just something to think about down the road as you grow in to your photography.

I'll say this about Nikon's Flash system: No one can beat it. I've had my SB-600 for about 4 1/2 years now and it works perfectly and I use it a lot. I originally used it with the D50. 2 years ago I upgraded to the D300 and the flash system really opened up for me. I will now use 2 SB-600's off flash as slave's to the on board popup on the D300. This makes for a pretty inexpensive wireless portrait set up and you just can not get that with a 3rd party flash. You can't use the D5000's pop-up as a master flash, however you can get the SU-800 (about the same cost as a flash) to use as a wireless commander, or the SB-900 (or a used SB-800) will also work as a wireless master commander.

Just something to think about down the road as you grow in to your photography.

I've read in several places that Sony's system is the best out there, and some of the people saying it were nikon and canon professional photographers..

The HVL-F58AM can also wirelessly control up to three groups of flashes, and Wireless Ratio Control allows you to specify luminosity ratios for each group.

but getting back to the OP's question, the sigma 500 dg super and 530 dg super can be used wirelessly with sony dslrs, and work quite seemlessly, they come with their own little stands to be used wirlessly just like the minolta/sony flashes..

have you checked to see if they work with Nikon..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter