Fairy tales can come true, you got to make 'em happen... it all depends on you. (comments welcome!)

Happy Lunar New Year!
I'm excited because this is my year, the Year of the Dragon! I hope Disney puts out some good Mushu merch!
If Disney doesn't come out with any decent merch, I found another one for you. I signed up for a total eclipse 5k through this website (proceeds for mine benefit the National Skin Cancer Foundation, because it's a solar eclipse, I guess). Not sure which non-profit, if any, this one benefits. https://virtualrunevent.com/

Screenshot_20240217_145100_Chrome.jpg

If Disney doesn't come out with any decent merch, I found another one for you. I signed up for a total eclipse 5k through this website (proceeds for mine benefit the National Skin Cancer Foundation, because it's a solar eclipse, I guess). Not sure which non-profit, if any, this one benefits. https://virtualrunevent.com/
Oh my goodness! Thank you for sharing this! I don't usually go for virtual races but that medal is gorgeous... heck, I'd sign up just for the sheet of dragon stickers. 🐉

Feb 12 - 18 - The one where she doesn’t register for the DL Halloween races

I’m experimenting with something “new.” I’ve been a fan of habit stacking for a long time now and I know that routine is the best way to get me to do anything. Last year my training plan had me running Wed - Sat and I honestly loved it because it became such a routine to just get up and run day after day that my mind didn’t usually put up too much of a fight.

I’m not running that much right now but I do want to keep up the consistency and see what might work for future training plans. So I’ve decided to try either running or walking every morning (habit stacked with the rest of my morning routine), and either Kung Fu or strength every evening. No arguments, if it’s morning the shoes are on and I’m out the door. Evenings before dinner I’m either in class or lifting “heavy” things.

I will use this time to see how I feel about which days are better for running vs walking. Not sure run/strength on the same day is a good idea, especially if the strength focuses on legs.

Mon - plan: 30 min walk, mobility, Kung Fu
30 min treadmill walk (.75 miles) because it was raining and I’m a wimp
Mobility video

Kung fu music practice plus more show practice

Tues - plan: 30 min walk, mobility, Kung Fu
1.10 miles in 31:32
Did not register for Disneyland. I had a dentist appointment scheduled for registration time, so that helped, but man I’m having a hard time with it. I heard these will be legacy races and I’ve never had the chance to start a legacy race. Staying strong for now but I may cave and try to get a charity bib.
Kung Fu was fine. Lots of show practice, which means an easier class for me because I am not a huge part of the show.

Wed - plan: run/strength (legs)
Woke up not feeling great. Sore throat, achy, stuffy nose. I guess my experiments will have to wait.

Thurs - plan: 30 min walk, mobility, Kung Fu
Icky feelings continued. I skipped Kung Fu, drank a lot of tea, and hoped my immune system would kick in and take care of this thing before I leave for Princess next week.

Fri - plan: run/strength (upper body)
I wasn't feeling terrible so I went to our show, wearing a mask (why didn’t we do this before? masks are great!). Did my part and bailed. I hated to miss out on the dinner after, because I love hanging out with my classmates, but I was not feeling great and also didn’t want to unmask to eat and potentially spread whatever this is. The show was fine, but the organizer cut our performance in half at the last second, which I thought was pretty rude. I didn't mind for myself, because I was ready to go home anyway, but we had kids with us who had worked hard on their parts so some of them were really disappointed so I felt really bad for them.

Sat plan: long run, mobility
My immune system seems to be winning? I am amazed. That is not usually how these things go.

Sun - rest ✔️

Total miles for the
week: 1.85
month: 7.06
year: 119.41

Pics of my very supportive couch buddies.

IMG_976B2369383A-1.jpegIMG_2A5B5BF992F3-1.jpeg

Oh, and an update on my Princess... she went back to the vet and had an ultrasound and a biopsy and the results were inconclusive. So not great news but not terrible either. We're going to just keep an eye on her and recheck in a few months.

Happy leap year! No miles for me today because I'm sick (again!) so may as well go ahead and do my monthly summary.

February totals:
21.28 miles training/racing
37.18 miles walking
58.46 total miles for the month
170.81 total miles for the year

And my son was looking at my RunDisney magnets on the fridge and figured out that the Springtime Surprise 10k will get me to 100 miles of Disney racing!

Happy leap year!
Favorite day of the quadrennial cycle. Only one that makes any sense to me LOL
Also, if this is the year of the dragon AND a leap year, does that mean the dragon has to wear bunny ears?
No miles for me today because I'm sick (again!)
Boo! I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon!

And my son was looking at my RunDisney magnets on the fridge and figured out that the Springtime Surprise 10k will get me to 100 miles of Disney racing!
That is awesome!! I love those kinda things 😀 I feel like you should get a special button for that!

Also, if this is the year of the dragon AND a leap year, does that mean the dragon has to wear bunny ears?
Animalia.jpg

Hah! I just saw this image and I feel like the "rabbit bird" could work.

Boo! I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon!
Thank you. I need to remember to lay low in February. I always catch something this time of year, but two somethings is a bit much, even for me.

That is awesome!! I love those kinda things 😀 I feel like you should get a special button for that!
That is a great idea!

Ok, reading this, how many of us went to see how many miles we ran at Disney so far?

For the challenges
WnD/Princess/Springtime = 19.3
Dopey = 48.6

So I will be celebrating 100 miles of Disney racing during the 10M 🥳
I also went and added it up.

My watch gives me 132.5 miles at Disney (6 5Ks, 6 10Ks, 2 10 Milers, and 4 half marathons), so officially 128.38 Disney miles, so I will hit 150 official Disney miles at the Wine & Dine 5K.

Princess Weekend Trip/Race Report

Thurs Feb 22
Up dark and early for my flight. I don’t love getting to the airport when it’s barely open and I can’t even get a coffee, but I do love getting to Disney early. Flight was gloriously uneventful and my room was ready when I got to my resort! I stayed at All Star Sports this time and was curious how it would compare to my usual Swan/Dolphin race weekend stays.

I joined the virtual queue for the expo as soon as I landed, but I landed after 7 so my virtual queue return time wasn’t until after noon. This was fine with me since I had preordered the pins I wanted and knew the magnet I usually get would still be there. I unpacked a little, dawdled at the resort a bit, got on the expo bus, and we pulled in just as my vq group was called!

Ok, I didn't plan on buying much, but the spirit jerseys had glitter! So I had to grab one of those. Took pics with the giant 6.2 then headed out to pick up my bib and shirt. The bib pickup area was pretty empty by the time I got there but we still had to walk all the way around the arena before we could go in. Headed to the expo, grabbed my shirt, a new pair of socks, and some new leggings. Jeff Galloway wasn’t at his booth when I went by, so I didn’t get to say hi to him, which is a first. I’m not really superstitious but I’ve never run a Disney race without talking to Jeff before, so I was maybe a teensy bit worried?

I was pretty hungry by that point so I stopped at the food area outside of the expo and had some pasta. I usually bypass this but it was pretty good and I appreciated that they had vegetarian protein choices.

IMG_46DFBC69B971-1.jpeg

One more pic on my way back to the bus. I headed back to my resort to drop off my things and unpack a little, and found a medal and note hanging on my door. One point for All Star Sports! I thought this was really sweet.

IMG_BFB8A4B645EA-1.jpeg

I finished settling in then headed to… Epcot? No! Animal Kingdom! I was breaking all kinds of traditions but I really wanted a Satuli tofu bowl for dinner and I'd never seen Pandora after dark. It was gorgeous!

IMG_689F2482C66C-1.jpeg

AK closed pretty early so I headed to Epcot for a bit. I really love the new area, especially at night.

IMG_6413F52EB8A1-1.jpeg

Friday Feb 23

Since I went to the expo yesterday I didn't really have anything I had to do today. So I started my day at Magic Kingdom, where I did research on where to find Disneyland-quality churros at WDW. The reason why the DL churros are better is because they're heated on-site at the carts. Most of the WDW churros are heated and then transported to the places where they're sold. So far I have found one exception. This stand to left if you're facing the castle. It's in between the paths to Liberty Square and Adventureland, and it has a churro heater!

IMG_86FEEA477D4C-1.jpeg

My notes are a little fuzzy after this discovery. I'm not sure if I rode anything, but I do remember having a veggie brat and tots from Friar's Nook (in addition to the churro). I left MK after lunch because I wanted to go to the Crowned Athletics pop up shop in the Swan Reserve. Their clothing looks gorgeous but it's pretty expensive and I was excited to have the opportunity to try on their sample pieces so I'd know exactly what size to order if I ever decided to buy anything.

So I rode the bus to DHS, then the boat to the Swan/Dolphin dock. Probably not the most efficient route but I wasn't really in a hurry to do anything so it was fine. What it turns out I didn't want to do was wait in a 3+ hour line just to try on some sample pieces! This Crowned stuff may just not be for me. I bailed pretty quickly and headed over to Epcot to hang out for a while. The Flower and Garden festival didn't start until the next week but some of the flowers and topiaries were already on display.
IMG_687C8C4DC082-1.jpeg

I hung out for a while in my new favorite spot, then decided it was time to call it a day. When I got back to my room, this was waiting on my door:

IMG_853C2DCC54CB-1.jpeg

Another point for the All Stars! This was just so sweet and really above and beyond what I'm used to. I was also really enjoying the food options. The Swan and Dolphin have a ton of great restaurants but not very much that you can just grab for a quick meal. The All Star food court had quite a few vegetarian options, including a Just Egg Mickey frittata that I had for breakfast every morning. I had a very basic pasta with marinara for dinner and got everything ready for race day!

Not the resort's fault, but they did lose a point when someone knocked on my door by mistake at 10:30. It's so hard to fall asleep on race nights anyway so after that I wasn't really able to sleep at all. But that's fine, because I've done races before on no sleep. I will definitely decorate my window for any future stays, so it will be harder for someone to mistake my room for theirs.

Another point for the All Stars! This was just so sweet and really above and beyond what I'm used to.
Out of curiosity, how did All Star know about you running? Had you put a note during reservation or did you mention it at the front desk?

The front desk person and I talked about it when I checked in.
I was very curious about this. I've seen a few posts about the magnets on doors and I was curious how they knew. Seems like they could pull it from your Disney account but idk that the hotel staff would have access.

I was very curious about this. I've seen a few posts about the magnets on doors and I was curious how they knew. Seems like they could pull it from your Disney account but idk that the hotel staff would have access.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting goodies so I didn't know that I needed to mention it, but I definitely will from now own. I only told the front desk person because I declined housekeeping and told her I was running the races, so I might be napping during the day. I don't think they'd have a way to know if you didn't tell them or add a note to your reservation. Or, I guess if you had housekeeping services they might know based on things they saw in your room.

I saw one of the housekeepers outside one day and thanked her for the magnet. It made her very happy to be thanked and she said "it's the least we could do." So I do think they really make an effort to try to figure out who is running.

Saturday Feb 24 - Race Day!

I eventually just gave up trying to sleep around 1:30. Got up, showered, dressed, and made it to the first bus. Dropped my bag at gear check and waited in line to see Rapunzel and Flynn, since I was dressed as Pascal. That was totally worth it and I got some great photos. I thought its was weird that they took a 15 minute break just as the corrals opened, though. I know legally that’s required, but maybe swap out for some new “friends” in that case? But the line managers and photo pass were a well-oiled machine, so the line moved quickly after the characters returned and I had plenty of time for one last potty stop before heading to my corral.

IMG_FFB0D7FFCCD2-1.jpeg
I had previously planned to see how fast I could run this one, but the aftereffects of my cold from last week meant that running too hard caused me to cough so I had to change my plan.

First mile, worst mile. Every time.

The first three miles of road I ran my intervals as well as I could, then I tried to just enjoy myself once I got to the parks.

I felt like course congestion wasn’t too bad this time. Even the sidewalk from Studios to the Boardwalk had a clear flow of people running on the left, which isn’t always the case.

i didn’t feel like waiting in character lines, but I did stop in Epcot in the newly opened area. They had two photo pass people off to the side, so runners could get jump shots if they wanted. My legs were feeling fine, so I thought why not. I pulled over, told the photo pass person I wanted to jump, she counted me down. I jumped, and she said “perfect!” so off I went.

My friends, it was not perfect.

IMG_0FCA81E99966-1.jpeg

Maybe I was supposed to jump on 3? I don't know. I did redo this photo later in Epcot but my shirt is coming up and you can see my tummy so I'm not sharing it, but just know that I did get a good jump photo in this spot eventually!

Anyway, the rest of the race was good. I did develop a bit of pain on the inside of my left knee during the last mile. That’s a new one for me, so I will have to keep an eye on it, but it went away pretty quickly. Probably just time for new shoes again.

Got my medal and cheese, took photos with the backdrop and Jogging Jack Sparrow, and hopped on the bus. That was another downside to my All Star stay, I couldn’t walk back to my hotel through Epcot. But I would have had to wait around for Epcot to open and I was starting to feel my lack of sleep, so I wasn’t upset about having sit on the bus.

IMG_6FDCE45283AC-1.jpeg

Mobile ordered some mickey frittatas and picked them up on my way back to my room. Ate, showered, and crashed until well into the afternoon. I hate that I missed the HH meetup but the lack of sleep and still not being 100% after my cold last week meant I really needed the rest.

I did manage to make it out to Epcot, then over to MK for some nice golden hour medal photos.

IMG_FD17F6C776E5-1.jpeg

Sunday Feb 25

Race over, it was time to have some regular Disney fun.

I started the day at Epcot, cheering for the end of the half marathon. As a member of Team Not So Fast, I really appreciate the people who stay to cheer for last racers so I want to do the same thing whenever I can. After the balloons passed I hopped on the monorail and headed to MK to ride some rides.

We got stopped in the attic, but alas, my dream of being walked off Haunted Mansion was again unfulfilled.

IMG_FD63044A694D-1.jpeg

IMG_57CEB5787D2D-1.jpeg

Rode Pirates, the People Mover, Little Mermaid, and Peter Pan, then headed to DHS for Rise, MMRR and TSMM. A very good ride day. Headed back to Sports for dinner and ended up just staying in the rest of the night.

Mon Feb 26
Time to go home. My flight didn't leave until later, so I still had some time for a bit more fun.

I packed up my room and left my bags with guest services before heading to Epcot for a few hours. Lines were kind of long (30 min for Spaceship Earth is right out for me) so I snacked my way around World Showcase then headed back to my resort to get my bags and head to the airport.
IMG_9EFF721A1DD3-1.jpeg

IMG_089119FC0082-1.jpeg

After I got home I saw that I had just narrowly missed the bomb threat! My plane left right before everything went down. I was so thankful to be home and not delayed at the airport. I narrowly missed a bad storm on my way out in January too, so I’m feeling pretty lucky about how I’m leaving MCO this year.

Princess Wrap Up
I enjoy princess weekend. I know a lot of people complain about it because there are so many people running for the first time, so many people running in friend groups, and (supposedly, although I've never seen it) a lot of entitlement. I've only done the 10k twice, so I don't have a lot of experience but I've never had anything but a positive experience during this weekend. In a sport where women weren't even allowed to participate until recently, I think it's great to have a princess-focused running event. However, I do think this is one that I'm going to have to cut next year. I always get sick in February. This year I went into the weekend just having recovered from something, and then picked up a new something on my way home! It's just not a great time of year for me to be racing. And, if I do Dopey next January I'm definitely not going to be able to do another race in February.

All Star Sports (vs Swan/Dolphin)
I've already mentioned the sweet runner gifts that were such a surprise, and the food court that were plusses for Sports. I was worried that Sports would be noisy, and it definitely was noisier than Dolphin, but things did quiet down at 10:00 every night. And not being next to Epcot, I didn't have fireworks noise at night (a pro and a con, I do love watching fireworks from my room when I can).

Transportation was another issue I was worried about. I didn't really mind needing to ride a bus everywhere, and I didn't feel like I ever waited very long for one. I did miss being able to walk around the Boardwalk and walk to Epcot, and I couldn't walk back to my room after the race. But overall Sports was great, much better than I expected, and the price difference is definitely a factor (unless you're booking Swan/Dolphin with points). I've got Pop reserved for Wine and Dine, so I'll be interested to see how it compares. I suspect the Skyliner will offset some of the transportation negatives and I've read that Pop is amazing with their runner support so I'm definitely looking forward to that!

Great recap! I love the picture with Rapunzel and Flynn 🤣

I pulled over, told the photo pass person I wanted to jump, she counted me down. I jumped, and she said “perfect!” so off I went.

My friends, it was not perfect.
Total fail! That CM does not know the meaning of perfect LOL Glad you got a good phot later. You should have went back and showed the original CM what a "perfect" jump shot looks like. (Not blaming the CM, I know they do awesome work, especially on race day. That "perfect" picture is just too funny!)
We got stopped in the attic, but alas, my dream of being walked off Haunted Mansion was again unfulfilled.
Okay, you have to tell me more about this now because this is the second tike you've mentioned it. What is behind the desire to be walked off HM?

Congrats on the races! Great job 😀

That "perfect" picture is just too funny!)
They were working so hard to get everyone through there quickly. I've got a growing collection of bad race photos. I always download all of them because the terrible ones end up being some of my favorites.

Okay, you have to tell me more about this now because this is the second tike you've mentioned it. What is behind the desire to be walked off HM?
Haha! It's been my favorite ride since I was little and I am just desperate to get a glimpse behind the scenes. I know the Keys to the Kingdom tour takes you into some backstage areas of the ride but I've promised my son I'll wait until he's old enough to do the tour with me, so until then I just have to hope for a walk off.

This is not the only Disney item on my bucket list, but I think it's the one that's most likely to happen.

Congrats on the races! Great job 😀
Thanks! It was a good weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter