Fall Break in October

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
We have a Fall Break the week of Columbus Day. Typically our break is the week after.

I know Disney will be nuts, but do many schools have the week of Columbus Day off?

We have a Fall Break the week of Columbus Day. Typically our break is the week after.

I know Disney will be nuts, but do many schools have the week of Columbus Day off?
I went to disney during that week one time. It was nuts!!! :crowded::crowded: Very packed. But because the weather was oh so beautiful...it was totally manageable. Had the weather been bad, I wouldve been super cranky.

Yes many schools do end up having the whole week off and others at least have the Monday off and depending on when Jewish holidays fall they could have half the week off.
You can bet on it being busy.

That week is bonkers. I've been and I've found my Thanksgiving trips to be more pleasant, no kidding. There was just something about those crowds that were nuts -- I saw someone throw a rented wheelchair at a CM if that gives you an idea. Disney Thunderdome!

I live in Indiana and all the schools around here have Fall Break at that time.

We were there that long weekend this past fall, and it. was. NUTS. B/c we're DVC and were passholders last year, it was no biggie, but I could see being very frustrated and disappointed if that was my one Disney trip for the year or multiple years....

Thanks everyone for replying! You definitely had my attention when you compared it to Thanksgiving week and people throwing wheelchairs.

For some reason whenever people say its nuts in October I wonder what they are comparing it to. I have been 4 different times in October over the past 10 years and not once was it ever "nuts" with the exception of going to MK during the day on a NON party day. That was my all time most crowded visit of any visit in 30 years. Other than that, it's always been a piece of cake. Not sure what people are expecting but Disney isn't crowded during October if you choose the right parks on the right day. Good planning can help with that.

For some reason whenever people say its nuts in October I wonder what they are comparing it to. I have been 4 different times in October over the past 10 years and not once was it ever "nuts" with the exception of going to MK during the day on a NON party day. That was my all time most crowded visit of any visit in 30 years. Other than that, it's always been a piece of cake. Not sure what people are expecting but Disney isn't crowded during October if you choose the right parks on the right day. Good planning can help with that.
That is true. In fairness, the day I saw the wheelchair thrown at a CM it was a Wednesday in the Magic Kingdom, so a non-party day, and it was insane. But I found that whole week to be crowded at every park, not just MK on that day. But, it's all subjective, really.

I'll just mention that it's still pretty warm in the area in October. The highs are generally in the 80s but there's still humidity and you're out walking around in the sun all day you'll def. feel it. We went the first week of November last year and there were a couple of days where it got into the low 90s. Even the CMs were commenting that it seemed unseasonably warm.

Is the week before just as bad? That is our fall break and we already have our trip booked. We’ve been during summer crowds and heat, so I’m hoping it’s not too much worse than that? Or are we in for a shock, lol?

DGD has the first 2 weeks of October off.....but we didn't know that when we booked everything (she's in kindergarten). We went the second too weeks. Crowds were moderate, but it was HOT and humid the first week!!

Lots of schools have a fall break around that time- we were there that week last year and it was mostly TN, KY, and LA there. It wasn't "nuts" but it was pretty busy and it was EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID (and we're from LA/TX).

We have fall break the 7th-11th and my "family" of 14 will be there again. (we go every other Fall Break) Staying at BLT and BWV. Walking to and from the parks. Its always busy but its manageable using all the strategies we've learned the past 10 years.

Not sure what you define as "many" but a decent portion of the Southern US does. Many that start early August seem to take a Fall Break. No idea if it's all of them. I know we do both, start in early Aug and get a week in Fall off.

Please help this Canadian out! What dates are you referring to above? We'll be there the last two weeks in October...I'm hoping we'll miss the holiday/school breaks...thanks!

We live in AL and our fall break is always either the first or second week of October. We have never had the break during the last two weeks of the month. Years ago we loved going to Disney for fall break. For us the weather is perfect, and we always enjoy the Food & Wine festival. In more recent years it has gotten considerably more crowded since more and more school systems seem to have fall break.

We have visited many times in October but switched to June the last year years. Typically our break was a week later, not Columbus week. Might be a good year to explore other vacations. I love Disney but I only have so much patience for long lines. Thanks everyone!

I'm referring to the week of October 13th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter