Favorite DVC resorts in DW & why?

CheshireCat

Mouseketeer
I would love to know what your fave resort is in DW & why? Specifically, the rooms & what the rooms have ammenity-wise, the pool, restaurants within the resort or nearby, the resort atmosphere, helpfulness of resort staff.....and of course, mention anything you love about your fave resort. I do appreciate it as it will surely narrow mine & my hubby's decision on "home resort".
:ccat: paw: :earsboy:

I would not base where to buy your home resort on other peoples' opinions. Each DVC is different and has its own appeal. You will find that we all have our personal favorites. For larger rooms and quiet and peaceful I love OKW. SSR is great because it's close to DTD. I love my BWV because of the proximity to EPCOT and MGM. A lot of people love the Wilderness villas. I find the decorating a bit dark.

If you haven't visited any of the resorts, I would take a trip and do just that. This is an expensive decision and you should buy what appeals to you, not me.

Cyn

I would not base where to buy your home resort on other peoples' opinions. Each DVC is different and has its own appeal.
Cyn

I appreciate this. I do, however, want to know what makes each one special.....and if it's an opinion, that's ok with me.

See my post in this thread for our ranking of the DVC resorts. We are taking our first DVC trip to HH tomorrow, which we expect to enjoy. We will update that post when we return.

We own at SSR, but have yet to stay there, though we definitely will sometime in the near future. We bought there primarily for the extra years, as that was important to us. We've stayed at VWL, OKW, BWV, and VB, and have loved them all for different reasons.

BWV is location, location, location! It's so great to be able to walk to Epcot and MGM, and the BW is beautiful, especially at night, with lots of entertainment and things to do. The kids love the pool. There's also a community hall with activities for the kids.

VWL is a gorgeous resort, very relaxing, yet a short boat ride to the MK. I love the decor, although it doesn't appeal to some. It's my favorite in terms of pure atmosphere.

OKW has the largest villas. It's really nice to park right outside the villa. It's also very quiet and relaxing, with a fun main pool and community hall, plus each section has a smaller leisure pool. There's a boat to DTD, and we've found the bus service to be very efficient.

In my opinion only, the biggest thing to keep in mind in choosing a home resort is, do I have my heart set on staying at a particular resort? We really don't, we'd be happy staying at any of the DVC resorts, so home resort hasn't been an issue. If you really are set on staying at BCV or VWL, or really want a standard or BW view at the BWV, you're better off owning there, because at certain times of the year that 11-month window is a must.

Good luck in your decision making!

My personal favorite is OKW without a doubt. We owned at BWV first, but purchased an add on at OKW soon after. To me, OKW is just plain relaxing. Lots of space, kind of shabby chic decorating, a nice sized patio or balcony to watch the world go by, good sized sofas for an occasional nap, park outside your door. It definitely feels the most "home" to me, where I can nest in and really relax. I don't use the pools that much so that's not an issue. I really like to get lazy and unwind the first few days of vacation and OKW does it for me. Obviously my reasons have almost nothing to do with the fact that OKW is at WDW. We have gone there and never go to the parks! After OKW would be HHI. That might even have first place if it wasn't such a long roundabout trip to get there from here.

If you polled the rest of the family, I suspect BWV might win. We have always gotten the Boardwalk view which DH enjoys and DS loves the "action" in the area.

We like to be submerged in the whole "Disney" experience. We average about 2 weeks at WDW per year and just cant get enough of it and want "control" of our time and planning to maximize rest, breaks and efficiency.

Therefore closest location to the parks is by far the most important thing to us. This means either BCV or BWV and sometimes VWL and of course soon to be CRV. Not necessarily after a long day at the parks either, as veterans we often sleep in and then walk over to EPCOT for lunch in just minutes-we need to leave our room an hour before we want to get to an EPCOT ADR (such as Japan which we love) or a FP if we are counting on the bus at some resorts. We also may decide last minute to go to Fantasmic or Illuminations and know exactly how long we have before it starts. This allows us time to eat at Beaches and Cream or swim at SAB for example until we know it is time to go.

On days we do open these parks we also can sleep to the exact moment we need to, and can arrive at the gates of MGM or EPCOT when we want-no "dang we just missed the MGM bus" and will now be at least 20 minutes later than if we had made it.

After Fantasmic or Illuminations we simply stroll back in minutes to our room with no stampede and no waiting. As a matter of fact BCV and BWV are closer to the bridge at France (for Illuminations) than the bus stops are from the lake straight out from SE-and then you still have to wait for a bus and ride it back to your resort while you could already be in your room.

Toss in the wonderfull BW View, SAB, all the shopping and dining, Valet, Room service from multiple restaurants and boat transportation for a change of pace and its an easy choice for us.

Ranking resorts:

Favorites

SSR - love the theming and beauty and the rooms. We are DTD freaks and love being in WDW but close to the outside world (like eating at Chevys!!!) quickly. SSR is very relaxing to us and the Spa is one of the best in the world - love love love it!

VWL - I hate the woods, I don't like the Pacific Northwest and LOVE this place. Go figure. Like SSR it is very relaxing and not in the hustle and bustle. Love the ELP and the boat ride to MK.

Honorable Memtion AAKV - it cannot be a favorite because it is not open but it has all the things we love!!

Pros for all above -Quick Serve/Counter Serve place (mandatory to our family). I can do a table Service anywhere but we love a good quick breakfast/lunch place. Relaxation - when I am out of the parks I like down time. Tranquil theming - While I love Disney I also like to be away too.

Not so Favorite (refuse to say do not like

BCV/BWV - own point at BCV there but only stay for SAB. I am not a big Epcot area fan (but love the park). Area is too busy and too noisy for us. Neither really has a counter service. I prefer BCV over BWV - we did BW View and it as too loud and the hallways went forever.

No Opinion

OKW - never stayed there (yet) but since it is similar to SSR I will guess we would enjoy it.

Non WDW

HHI - love it!!!

Mine is without a doubt, AKL. Why? You have not even stayed there (I do not even own there)?

It is all the dreams to come. It's about having my kids watch a baby zebra or Giraffe grow up trip after trip. Its about a new water park and new restaurants and seeing my kids play and eat there. Its about the excitement and adventure of a planning a trip to the greatest place on earth. Its about my kids planning it long after I am gone or can't go. AKL holds so many dreams and promises in future trips, I know we will have great times there!

You can tell that I am excited about AKL!:hippie:

Mine is my home at OKW.
OKW is like a spread out neighborhood of vacation townhomes. Each building is 2-3 stories and will include 1 bedroom/studio lock offs, 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom villas that are walk ups or walk ins from the parking are right outside your door. This gives a nice secluded vacation home feel IMO. The villas are the largest in the DVC system, and have huge master baths and very large great rooms and kitchens with a large covered balcony that includes a dining table, 4 chairs and a ceiling fan. The balcony is accessed from both the living room and the master bedroom. The studios are lock offs from the second bedroom in some units, and will have 2 queen beds, a large closet, a huge full bath and a kitchenette/sink area that will include a microwave, fridge, coffe maker and toaster as well as some plastic and paper table ware. There is a small table with two chairs and a large balcony for the studio rooms as well.

There are 3 neighborhood pools on site, and a larger main pool that has a new sand castle slide. Each pool area includes a childs play area and a laundry for those who are staying in the studios (full size villas have their laundry room in the villa).

Bus service is excellent to all the parks, and there are 5 bus stops located throughout the resort.

We also like AKL, and have recently added on points at AKV. I'm expecting to like that because of the savanna and the animals outside the door.

My rankings:
OKW
AKV (assumption)
SSR
VWL (haven't stayed here, because it's so much like "home")
BCV
BWV

While I love the location of BCV, it just doesn't do anything for me. I really don't care for the hotel feel at the resorts. I think it's why I like OKW so much.

from best to not-so-best ;)

1- BWV - best location ~ walk right out the doors to lots to do on the BW, EPCOT & MGM, atmosphere, most incredible view available (BW VIEW). feels like "total immersion"
2- BCV - 2nd best location, can park nearer to unit, SAB, but we find it actually noisier than BW by the pools, lobby, etc. not fans of the "road view"
3 - SSR - haven't stayed there (will in a few weeks :banana: ), but great location, the decor & detailing there appeal to us. definately a contender :thumbsup2
4 - VWL - haven't stayed, but would like to for a short or portion of trip (we prefer bright rooms & evening activities, but the decor does look beautiful)
5 - OKW - large rooms, can park near unit. just lacks the elegance & activities we prefer

1) BWV - Location and style. I love the Boardwalk, I love the "hustle and bustle" of the actual boardwalk itself, I love looking out at SSE at night, I love having ESPN right there. I also love that if you don't want the hustle and bustle, there's a nice walking trail toward MGM that's calm and relaxing.

It offers everything I like from an entertainment perspective and location.

2) SSR - Close to DTD, easy access to nightlife. Though as new parents, that's not so much on the schedule anymore.

here is the entire thread - that Jim mentioned with the poll results
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=9002117#post9002117

my taste vary.

can find something to love in all the DVC resorts.
so go look at the pictures - here
http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/504

here
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/dvc.htm

here is disney website on them
http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/guest/resorts/resortOverview?id=ProspectsResortsOverviewPage

then before you buy - I would select a couple of DVC resorts and make reservation (rent points from a current DVC owner) and try them out.

sometimes even when you love the pictures - the resort itself is just not what you want.

My husband and I love the VWL for the quiet and charm and BCV for their location and pool. They are are favorites hands down but we do try others to compare. We bought them because they give us the 11 month window at our favorite resorts. Good luck!!

I have stayed at 4 of the current DVC resorts and I will rank by favorite.

1. BCV - SAB, it's close to EPOCT and MGM, I can watch Illuminations from my room, everything is close.

2. BWV - Close to EPCOT and MGM, the boardwalk, many different things to do.

3. SSR - Close to DTD, Pool and it's quiet

4. OKW - it's quiet (I really didn't care for this resort, I like the noise)

Overall Beach Club is my favorite. I am hoping to stay at AKV soon but since it is so far away from the parks I will doubt it will replace BCV.

I think picking a favorite anything is next-to-impossible. It's like with books; I can't pick a favorite book, so I make top 5 lists. "Top Five Books I Just Enjoyed Reading", "Top Five Books That Changed Me", "Top Five Fictional Characters to Fall In Love With", etc.

So, each of the Disney DVC resorts would be a "favorite" in one way or another.

My favorite DVC for repeat stays is SSR.
I love the location, internal bus stops, and bus service and find it to be equally convenient to all parks/resorts (I found that other resorts are super-convenient to one location, and not-so-convenient to others).
I love the spacious views and walking trails, and the way it feels like an oasis away from the bustle of the parks.
I love being a short walk from DTD (we are night owls and take advantage of having a place to hang out after the parks close - especially on non-MK days.
I love the CS dining (both food and atmosphere).
I love the architectual detailing of the buildings and the landscape architecture - those little details mean a lot to me.
I love the zero-depth pool and the fact that the whole pool area just feels very clean, fresh and well-maintained to me.
I've found the CMs and mousekeeping to be consistently above average.
I love the community hall & resort activities.

Our home resort is VWL (and now AKV), but our favorite resort has been BWV because of how close it is to Epcot. We are staying at OKW in June and I am really hoping we like it alot and that it becomes our new favorite resort because of it's lower points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter