Favorite Foodie towns?

mikehn

DIS Veteran
Im a big foodie and eating out is as high on my list as anything else when Im traveling. Vegas, Houston, DC are some of my favorite foodie cities. Never been to New Orleans, but I bet that's another great one. Its been ages since I've been to Chicago and San Francisco. What are some of your favorite foodie cities? (domestic)

We were in key largo several years ago, and if you love seafood, it’s great to visit. I think I ate some sort of seafood dish at every meal.

I've always wanted to go out to Austin and check out the food truck scene out there (plus TX bar-bq). Obviously, any large city (NYC, LA, etc.) is going to have a variety of options as well.

There’s definitely a good variety of food trucks and bbq here. We also have a wide variety of international cuisine.

New Orleans-went last summer for the first time- I tried as many foods as I could, lol. Muffalettas(twice), beignets(three times), red beans and rice, jambalaya, gumbo, bananas foster, sno balls, king cake, pralines. Yes, I'm a big fan of dessert.

San Francisco-we live about two hours away, so I've been numerous times over the years. This past August we enjoyed:
Mama's on Washington Square-breakfast
B.Patisserie-bakery-went for Kouign Amann
Liguria Bakery-focaccia bread
Tommy's Joynt-old school
Yasukochi sweet stop-coffee crunch cake in Japantown
Our uber driver recommended Cinderella Bakery-old school russian bakery that we didn't get a chance to try

Miami Beach -- particularly the SoFi (South of 5th) and the Sunset Harbor areas -- has become quite the foodie place in South Florida. I've heard the South Beach Wine and Food festival is very good, but never been. Coral Gables and Ft. Lauderdale are also quite good.

I wouldn't call Key Largo a foodie city, partially because it's quite small. But it does have some very good seafood restaurants, and we go down there 5-6 times a year (just a 1 hour drive) for a nice dinner. Bayfront Grill and Snooks are our faves. I like the food better at Bayfront, but Snooks ambiance can't be beat -- especially at sunset.

Boston (and Cape Cod) and San Francisco are also among our favorites.

Tucson, AZ.
Wouldn't call it a "foodie city", but there are amazing Mexican restaurants (and not just Sonoran), Thai, Polish, and Middle Eastern. "Tucson Meet Yourself" festival is often called "Tucson Eat Yourself". Many cultures, great food.

Yes to New Orleans. Montreal, Lima, college towns are usually good. Paris, yes. But my most memorable meals have been unexpected and not in foodie destinations. A tilapia cooked in a grill made out of half an oil drum near Lago Yojoa in Honduras. Oistins Fish Fry in Barbados where the fishermen draw their boats up on the beach and cook whatever they caught that day. A picnic I made from market day in Sarlat in the south of France…. Mmmmm…..

Yes to New Orleans. Montreal, Lima, college towns are usually good. Paris, yes. But my most memorable meals have been unexpected and not in foodie destinations. A tilapia cooked in a grill made out of half an oil drum near Lago Yojoa in Honduras. Oistins Fish Fry in Barbados where the fishermen draw their boats up on the beach and cook whatever they caught that day. A picnic I made from market day in Sarlat in the south of France…. Mmmmm…..

The OP did specify domestic (US) towns, however.

Any place with a Waffle House. If it was good enough for Anthony Bourdain it is good enough for me.

The highlight of our Florida trip was stopping at the Waffle House in Brandon, FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter