Feedback on our Alaska plans so far please

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread but I have a question and it would save me starting s new thread as the info on this one is great.

I presume that it is best to do Capilano and Grouse Mt in the one day? Which way round id best? Capilano first? If we get the free shuttle from Canada Place to Capilano, how to we get from Capilano to Grouse? Is there a free shuttle?

Thanks

I believe that I read on the Fly Over Canada website that they offer complimentary luggage storage.

QUOTE=bcwife76;52881681]OP is travelling alone with her 9 year old daughter, there IS no one to watch their luggage while they do Fly Over Canada.:confused3[/QUOTE]

I presume that it is best to do Capilano and Grouse Mt in the one day? Which way round id best? Capilano first? If we get the free shuttle from Canada Place to Capilano, how to we get from Capilano to Grouse? Is there a free shuttle?

My thoughts...
  • I recommend Grouse and Capilano on the same day. They are both on the North Shore and you need to travel past Capilano to get to Grouse Mountain. They are 5 minutes apart by vehicle. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...-GVDFeDxOF7LNQ8w&oq=capilano+&mra=ls&t=m&z=14
  • In general, I recommend Grouse first and then Capilano. It's easier to get from Grouse to Capilano mid day than it is to go from Capilano to Grouse.
  • Best strategy is to go to the cruise terminal (Canada Place) to catch the Grouse shuttle. Some make the mistake of returning to Canada Place (waste time), when Grouse shuttles have an optional stop at Capilano (on request?). You can leave Capilano on their shuttles to return to the cruise terminal, Stanley Park or your hotels.
  • The only time I would ever reverse and do Capilano first is if Grouse Mountain is in fog or summer pollution which obscures the vistas of the city. Click on the webcams link to see the chalet cam... https://www.grousemountain.com/ If you do choose to visit the bridge first... you can use public transit to travel the 5 minutes to Grouse. If you see a long wait... CALL A CAB. I'm not patient waiting for multiple overflowing buses to get to Grouse. My time is too valuable on a hot day.
  • Some opt to try the Seabus, riding to Grouse first is preferred because trying to get to Grouse mid day from the bridge can mean long waits for an available bus.
  • Capilano and Grouse are busiest between noon and 4pm each day. This is the hardest time to get on bus to Grouse from Capilano. As a result, I recommend Grouse first as once you are on the bus and you won't be asked to get off.
  • If the Grouse shuttle bus driver is refusing to drop you off at Capilano Bridge when returning to the city... use public transit for the 5 minute ride to the bridge. Otherwise, call a cab.... especially if you see long waits for the bus. You want to save time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txO8VK4LaLQ

OP, here is how the husband and I spent3 days in Vancouver before/after our cruise:

Day 1: Stanley Park. There is a great bike rental place just a couple of blocks away from the park. We walked from our hotel (the Westin Grand) to Canada Place, strolled along the seawall all the way to the bike rental place (a gorgeous walk, and not terribly far), then rented bikes and spent most of the day in Stanley Park. We didn't see the Aquarium, but had we gotten an earlier start we would have had time. (We had a delayed flight and needed the rest.) When we were finished, we took a city bus to Gastown and explored there a bit, seeing the steam clock and finding a lovely little gastropub for dinner.

Day 2: Capilano and Grouse Mountain. We booked a dinner reservation at the restaurant on Grouse Mountain, which gave us a free ride up the tram to get there. (The dinner wasn't our most favorite meal, but the view was lovely and we would have had a spendy dinner anyway, so it was well worth it.) We started the day at Capilano and were finished there within a couple of hours. In theory, we should have made lunch reservations rather than dinner at Grouse, given how much time we had. We wound up taking the shuttle back to Canada Place, browsing the shops on Robson St. and having a Japadog for lunch (so good! Must eat!) , and then taking the shuttle back up to Grouse later in the day. The Lumberjack show is cute, as is the bird show. We didn't opt to do ziplining or anything else that cost extra and still thought it a worthwhile venture.

Day 3, post-cruise: We took a stroll around False Creek and visited Granville Island, which was adorable, beautiful, and had an awesome market well worth seeing. We live in Philadelphia, and it reminded me of a cleaner, friendlier Reading Terminal Market.

We did Fly Over Canada the morning that our cruise left, and it was quite fun. We made an early reservation - around 9 or 9:30 AM - and they were more than happy to let us leave or luggage with them while we rode. We boarded the cruise not long after our ride.

Hope that's helpful. We LOVED Vancouver, and if I had it to do over again the only thing I'd change is doing lunch at Grouse rather than dinner so we could have squeezed in a meal at Vij's, an Indian place a little ways from downtown that I would have happily cabbed it to and from because I hear it's that good.

Is it fairly easy to hail a taxi within Stanley Park to get back to the downtown area?

My thoughts...
  • I recommend Grouse and Capilano on the same day. They are both on the North Shore and you need to travel past Capilano to get to Grouse Mountain. They are 5 minutes apart by vehicle. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...-GVDFeDxOF7LNQ8w&oq=capilano+&mra=ls&t=m&z=14
  • In general, I recommend Grouse first and then Capilano. It's easier to get from Grouse to Capilano mid day than it is to go from Capilano to Grouse.
  • Best strategy is to go to the cruise terminal (Canada Place) to catch the Grouse shuttle. Some make the mistake of returning to Canada Place (waste time), when Grouse shuttles have an optional stop at Capilano (on request?). You can leave Capilano on their shuttles to return to the cruise terminal, Stanley Park or your hotels.
  • The only time I would ever reverse and do Capilano first is if Grouse Mountain is in fog or summer pollution which obscures the vistas of the city. Click on the webcams link to see the chalet cam... https://www.grousemountain.com/ If you do choose to visit the bridge first... you can use public transit to travel the 5 minutes to Grouse. If you see a long wait... CALL A CAB. I'm not patient waiting for multiple overflowing buses to get to Grouse. My time is too valuable on a hot day.
  • Some opt to try the Seabus, riding to Grouse first is preferred because trying to get to Grouse mid day from the bridge can mean long waits for an available bus.
  • Capilano and Grouse are busiest between noon and 4pm each day. This is the hardest time to get on bus to Grouse from Capilano. As a result, I recommend Grouse first as once you are on the bus and you won't be asked to get off.
  • If the Grouse shuttle bus driver is refusing to drop you off at Capilano Bridge when returning to the city... use public transit for the 5 minute ride to the bridge. Otherwise, call a cab.... especially if you see long waits for the bus. You want to save time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txO8VK4LaLQ

Many thanks for the great information:thumbsup2

Is it fairly easy to hail a taxi within Stanley Park to get back to the downtown area?

Put this number in your speed dial... 604-681-1111. It's for yellow cab, which has the largest fleet. You can also download their app.

Generally I catch the #19 metrotown bus by the railway.

Put this number in your speed dial... 604-681-1111. It's for yellow cab, which has the largest fleet. You can also download their app.

Generally I catch the #19 metrotown bus by the railway.

What a great tip! Thank you, xlxo!

In general, few cabs are in the park to be hailed. It's best to phone or use an app. Just remember to clarify WHERE in the park for the pickup (eg Aquarium? Railway? Prospect Point? Some beach?)

Here's the Yellow cab app...

In addition to booking your trip.... the yellow cab also provides GPS lookup on how close the cab is ready for you.

With regards to public transit.... check this link in the summer... right now it's the winter schedule where service frequency can be 15 minutes....
http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/100/tt019.pdf

In general, few cabs are in the park to be hailed. It's best to phone or use an app. Just remember to clarify WHERE in the park for the pickup (eg Aquarium? Railway? Prospect Point? Some beach?)

Here's the Yellow cab app...

In addition to booking your trip.... the yellow cab also provides GPS lookup on how close the cab is ready for you.

With regards to public transit.... check this link in the summer... right now it's the winter schedule where service frequency can be 15 minutes....
http://infomaps.translink.ca/Public_Timetables/100/tt019.pdf

i'm going to be so sad when this cruise is over and we move on to another location, and i won't have a local like you there to guide me thru!

We went to Steveston after our Alaska cruise in 2013. The day we got off the ship we were staying in a hotel near the airport so we planned to drive over and walk around. DS and I are huge fans of the show. The rest of my family was like "what the heck are we doing...." But it was very cool! We took a lot of pictures, had lunch at Granny's and while we were there the filming crew came up and were talking through the scenes they were going to be filming in the next few weeks. We were there the end of July. This crew of about twenty were walking throughout the main areas, stopping, discussing scenes, taking notes, taking pictures, etc... We were taking pictures of them and eavesdropping! We also went back there later that night for dinner and ice cream. We walked around the shops and the wharf area. Sat and ice cream with some locals and talked about the filming of the show. They were more interested in my Disney Harvey purse and where to get one. All in all a very cool experience, especially if you are huge fans of the show! It was a great way to end our amazing trip!
Have fun!
Deb

We are staying at the Fairmont Airport hotel post cruise. Did you rent a car or take a cab Steveston?

We are staying at the Fairmont Airport hotel post cruise. Did you rent a car or take a cab Steveston?

We're doing the same and have the same question. On mapquest, its only a 15 minute drive by car. I tried to see if the bus goes there, but it appears to take over an hour (you change lines or something). Cab seems like the way to go. I would like to know the approximate cost of the cab if anyone knows.

Jodie

Just one more note on Fly Over Canada. We also did that the morning before the cruise, and it worked out really well. We were in the Pan Pacific, so we didn't have to worry about luggage storage, though. The timing of walking down the pier (there are a few things to see/do), doing the Fly Over Canada ride, looking around that area, etc., was just about perfect before heading to the ship (and we had the earliest boarding time).

I would not make a special trip to see Fly Over Canada, but if you're there (e.g. before your cruise), it's fun to do. It's basically just Soarin' with different scenery - even the intro is almost identical (replace the WDW tourists in the video with Canadian sterotypes). Kind of expensive for what you get, but I'm still glad we did it.

We're doing the same and have the same question. On mapquest, its only a 15 minute drive by car. I tried to see if the bus goes there, but it appears to take over an hour (you change lines or something). Cab seems like the way to go. I would like to know the approximate cost of the cab if anyone knows.

Jodie

I would be interested in know that as well. Is it worth it? Is there any must see or do things there? I am planning our our day and am wondering how much time should I give us to walk around?

Some thoughts....

Not worth the car rental. Cab it for $24 there and take the bus back. Or do the bus both ways.

A Steveston visit will be worth it for the kids and show fans.... Most visitors will prioritize time for Grouse, Capilano, Stanley Park, Whistler, Victoria (Butchart), and possibly Banff.

Locals know Steveston better for the wharf/dock...

Anyone interested in Orca whale watching? There may be a free hotel shuttle to Steveston for you... Orca's are smaller and faster than the Alaskan Gray whales.

Don't forget to have some Fish 'n Chips...

Some thoughts....

Not worth the car rental. Cab it for $24 there and take the bus back. Or do the bus both ways.

A Steveston visit will be worth it for the kids and show fans.... Most visitors will prioritize time for Grouse, Capilano, Stanley Park, Whistler, Victoria (Butchart), and possibly Banff.

Locals know Steveston better for the wharf/dock...

Anyone interested in Orca whale watching? There may be a free hotel shuttle to Steveston for you... Orca's are smaller and faster than the Alaskan Gray whales.

Don't forget to have some Fish 'n Chips...

Great info. Love the videos. Looks like a fun little town, and so close to the airport. We might just have to hop a cab over for a few hours. Thanks!

Jodie

Great info. Love the videos. Looks like a fun little town, and so close to the airport. We might just have to hop a cab over for a few hours. Thanks!

Just realized, I had an incorrect link in my last post.... here's the link for those considering a Steveston Orca whale watch. You can whale watch from Granville Island or downtown, but Steveston may be cheaper as it's closer to the San Juan and it's a less bumpy ride by avoiding the airport's outgoing river currents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzMaUGR2aY

Vancouver Whale Watch offers shuttles from downtown. After the tour, you can always stay back to explore Steveston and catch the public bus/train back downtown.
http://www.vancouverwhalewatch.com/

Other small communities around Vancouver worth checking out....

i'm going to be so sad when this cruise is over and we move on to another location, and i won't have a local like you there to guide me thru!

Thank you for your kind words. I say come back to Vancouver for a future cruise to Hawaii, California, a reposition cruise to Florida, or repositions to Asia/Australia... but consider extending your stay while here in Vancouver. Instead of a few days... you might need a few weeks. We are more than the "syrup sucking ice holes" that Colbert describes.

You can extend your budget by downgrading to 3 or 2 star accommodations instead. But don't stay too long...

While many exit Vancouver from Seattle's airport as an alternative... some go East via Banff and Calgary.

We are spending 10 nights pre-cruise traveling, and after doing the research, it still doesn't seem like enough - lol.

After our flight lands, we are renting a car and driving to Whistler for 3 nights. You can rent a condo there (we used VRBO) VERY cheaply. This is where we are ziplining. Also, we love to hike. Based on some of the hikes I've read about here, I think we may not want to leave!!

Then we're taking the ferry over to Vancouver Island and spending 3 nights in Tofino.

Then just 1 night in Victoria. That is where we are doing our Orca watching. We're doing a sunset whale watch through Eagle Wing (cheaper than earlier times and fits our schedule).

Then 3 nights in Vancouver. Note: We wanted to stay as close to Stanley Park as possible rather than at the port. The Westin is offering a great deal where you pay the first night at rack rate, but then for the next 2 nights, you pay your BIRTH YEAR (as in $66 if you're born in 1966 - score!). For us (after the exchange rate), it works out to just over $200 per night. Great rate for being on the harbor in downtown Vancouver!!

Can't wait!

One more note: If you belong to Costco, they have car rental through Costco travel. I was extremely surprised at how cheap it was. We are renting a minivan for a week (pick up airport and drop off downtown), for just over $200 USD. Check it out. It was cheaper than kayak and other rental car sites.

After disembarking, we are staying at the Fairmont airport. Would love to make it over to Steveston, but we may be too exhausted!! Guess we'll play that by ear.

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter