Feeding my dog rice & ground beef

How much does your dog weigh?
20 lbs, he lost a bit at first when I was trying to settle his belly down with 1/3 cup 3 times a day with a few tablespoons right before bed. Once he started to be more himself I gradually added up to the cup and now he seems to be holding steady, I'll keep an eye on it though in case it needs some tweaking.

For those feeding homeade dog foods and boutique brand foods I would strongly encourage you to research diet related DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy). I have three friends who have lost their dogs to this. There are really only 5 dog food brands that actually have peer reviewed scientific research behind their nutrition and its safety. If your dog suddenly stops eating foods it has been eating there is usually another underlying medical reason (as others have already said). If your vet blows your concern off, find another vet. But personally, I would not risk creating my own homemade diet if I had a dog.
But why though? I don't touch processed food for my human family members so once this happened to my dog it sort of struck me as odd I'd have another standard for my pet and he doesn't even have the FDA paying attention to what is in his food.

But why though? I don't touch processed food for my human family members so once this happened to my dog it sort of struck me as odd I'd have another standard for my pet and he doesn't even have the FDA paying attention to what is in his food.
Actually, the FDA has looked into this and made recommendations. I'm only suggesting if it was me, I would research it, obviously you'll decide what you do or don't want to do for your canine family members.

For those feeding homeade dog foods and boutique brand foods I would strongly encourage you to research diet related DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy). I have three friends who have lost their dogs to this. There are really only 5 dog food brands that actually have peer reviewed scientific research behind their nutrition and its safety. If your dog suddenly stops eating foods it has been eating there is usually another underlying medical reason (as others have already said). If your vet blows your concern off, find another vet. But personally, I would not risk creating my own homemade diet if I had a dog.
Homemade dog diets should be far healthier than kibble, if they are properly balanced. There are some great fresh/freeze-dried raw options, but those are typically far more expensive than DIY. Of course, they are far more convenient.

I totally get the peer-reviewed, WSAVA-approved kibble thing, but the ingredients in many of them still give me pause.

I totally get this—my family eats clean completely in the home, and to the degree we can when we eat out. So when we got our german shepherd, the idea of feeding her a kibble with sugars and crazy unknown ingredients seemed crazy. Dogs have specific nutritional needs, and a canine nutritionist is the best source for consulting with and creating recipes that meet your dog's specific needs. The problem with throwing together some random meats, carbs and veggies is you don't really know if you're creating vitamin and mineral gaps.

Of course, you CAN feed your dog an unbalanced but homecooked diet and he or she can be okay, just like thousands of dogs who eat junky kibble are "fine". But to thrive, it's important to serve balanced meals.

We feed our 18-month old raw and she thrives on it. The raw community consists of people who feed generally a ratio of meat/bone/organ meat and people who balance vitamin K and e down to the kCal.

I hope your pup is okay! I found a few Facebook groups to be exceptionally helpful in providing balanced meals to our dog -- Fresh Food Feeding for Dogs, DNM the Pack, Raw feeding advice and support (PMR)....

Last edited:
Actually, the FDA has looked into this and made recommendations. I'm only suggesting if it was me, I would research it, obviously you'll decide what you do or don't want to do for your canine family members.
Any good links to help us along?

I understand the grain-free foods issue, but are you saying that homemade food also causes dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs? Because of peas, lentils, potatoes, etc?

Homemade dog diets should be far healthier than kibble, if they are properly balanced. There are some great fresh/freeze-dried raw options, but those are typically far more expensive than DIY. Of course, they are far more convenient.

I totally get the peer-reviewed, WSAVA-approved kibble thing, but the ingredients in many of them still give me pause.

I totally get this—my family eats clean completely in the homemade, and to the degree we can when we eat out. So when we got our german shepherd, the idea of feeding her a kibble with sugars and crazy unknown ingredients seemed crazy. Dogs have specific nutritional needs, and a canine nutritionist is the best source for consulting with and creating recipes that meet your dog's specific needs. The problem with throwing together some random meats, carbs and veggies is you don't really know if you're creating vitamin and mineral gaps.

Of course, you CAN feed your dog an unbalanced but homecooked diet and he or she can be okay, just like thousands of dogs who eat junky kibble are "fine". But to thrive, it's important to serve balanced meals.

We feed our 18-month old raw and she thrives on it. The raw community consists of people who feed generally a ratio of meat/bone/organ meat and people who balance vitamin K and e down to the kCal.

I hope your pup is okay! I found a few Facebook groups to be exceptionally helpful in providing balanced meals to our dog -- Fresh Food Feeding for Dogs, DNM the Pack, Raw feeding advice and support (PMR)....
Has the AMVA changed their stance on feeding RAW foods?

https://www.avma.org/resources-tool...ooked-animal-source-protein-cat-and-dog-diets

Came back to share that there has been a complete transformation for my little Luv.
This is what he gets now after it's blended, he gets about 3/4 cup 4 times a day & it looks like 90% of the base of the Sartu di Riso (no onion or tomato).

I get a big family size ground beef & cook with a can, frozen or fresh peas & carrots View attachment 590447. He gets ha then use the broth to flavor my tomato sauce and keep the other half for us tacos/meatloaf/burgers.
This is exactly what I have in the fridge right now for my dog. I've been making her food for a few years now. She came to us scrawny and in terrible pain. Couldn't keep anything in her and we tried so many dog foods, raw and otherwise. Once I started making her food it was a complete turnaround. I alternate between beef and chicken and swap out the veggies for variety. Our vet also suggested a tablespoon of plain yogurt a day. That's her special treat and she loves it!

Very interesting.

Yup. I know people have "feelings" about raw feeding, especially general vets who spend very little of their education studying nutrition. (And often that studying is done from textbooks published by kibble companies) Like any kind of diet, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, and we are so pleased with how our pup thrives. We also are able to support small farms whose livestock raising methods align with our beliefs, and feel comfortable with the minisculely small risks of bacteria that canine stomachs are unable to digest.

Soooo- a couple of things that might be helpful. Homemade foods persay have not been implicated in DCM-what has been as been excessive consumption of legumes of any kind. They interfer with the uptake of Taurine.. Grain free commercial foods often have chickpeas as their first ingredient which is a huge problem. Some fresh peas in homemade foods is probably not harmful but heavy reliance on peas and white potatoes is not a good idea.
No all vets are opposed to raw but ensuring that you are not missing important nutrients if you have not been mentored in creating a nutrionally complete raw diet can be difficult and its not a solution for everyone. Feeding a mixed diet is sometimes a solution-my older Bernese mountain do eats a mixed diet of raw, homemade and freeze or airdried and my vet is supportive of that. If you want to do a raw or homemade diet Moncia Seagel who was mentioned up thread is a great resource.
Also the OPS dog should be on a good broad spectrum probiotic-that in an of itself can solve many issues. Proviable DC which can be purchased realively in expensively on line is an excellent solution as is the one that can be purchased from natures farmacy online.

Yup. I know people have "feelings" about raw feeding, especially general vets who spend very little of their education studying nutrition. (And often that studying is done from textbooks published by kibble companies) Like any kind of diet, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, and we are so pleased with how our pup thrives. We also are able to support small farms whose livestock raising methods align with our beliefs, and feel comfortable with the minisculely small risks of bacteria that canine stomachs are unable to digest.
A large part of their objection is to the public health issues of handling raw foods that carry disease. You can be “comfortable with it”, and feeding it to your dog; I’m not, having lived through a food-borne illness with family members as part of an outbreak in which people died. No thanks.

OK. So the pet food labels NOT saying it doesn't include dog or cat means that it does???? :crazy:

My dog eats the Walmart knockoff of Puirina Moist and Meaty; I think it's called Ole' Roy's Soft & Moist. She loves it. She can hear me opening a deli wrapper from a mile away and comes running, so I toss her bits of sliced ham or turkey. On rare occasions she'll get some scraps from the table.

My sister-in-law gave their dogs whatever she and my brother were having for dinner, spaghetti, turkey dinner with all the trimmings, chicken parm, or whatever. None of their dogs lived more than 8 or 9 years. (The dogs ate regular dog food too, Not sure if it contained ground up dog or cat.)

A large part of their objection is to the public health issues of handling raw foods that carry disease. You can be “comfortable with it”, and feeding it to your dog; I’m not, having lived through a food-borne illness with family members as part of an outbreak in which people died. No thanks.

That's fine—no one is asking you to be comfortable with it! It's just what's best for our dog and our family, and I will recommend it to others when the topic arises (like in this thread) because we've experienced the enormous benefits of it. I take the same precautions with handling her raw meat that I do when preparing meat for my family.

My sister-in-law gave their dogs whatever she and my brother were having for dinner, spaghetti, turkey dinner with all the trimmings, chicken parm, or whatever. None of their dogs lived more than 8 or 9 years. (The dogs ate regular dog food too, Not sure if it contained ground up dog or cat.)

That is terrible and not the right way to feed dogs a homecooked diet!

That's fine—no one is asking you to be comfortable with it! It's just what's best for our dog and our family, and I will recommend it to others when the topic arises (like in this thread) because we've experienced the enormous benefits of it. I take the same precautions with handling her raw meat that I do when preparing meat for my family.
That is fine - you can tout your benefits, and I can reinforce a warning endorsed by the AVMA.

OK. So the pet food labels NOT saying it doesn't include dog or cat means that it does???? :crazy:

My dog eats the Walmart knockoff of Puirina Moist and Meaty; I think it's called Ole' Roy's Soft & Moist. She loves it. She can hear me opening a deli wrapper from a mile away and comes running, so I toss her bits of sliced ham or turkey. On rare occasions she'll get some scraps from the table.

I challenge anyone here to provide a legitimate link to proof that dog and cat foods contain dog and cat meat.

That is terrible and not the right way to feed dogs a homecooked diet!

I mentioned it to my brother once and he says his wife makes all kinds of excuses, saying the dogs got sick and/or died of unrelated causes.

Of course I have no proof that feeding the dogs human food every day caused them to die before their times, but it probably didn't help.

Last edited:
I mentioned it to my brother once and he says his wife makes all kinds of excuses, saying the dogs got sick and/or died of unrelated causes.

Of course I have no proof that feeding the dogs human food every day caused them to die before their times, but it probably didn't help.
That's so disheartening! It was probably the little things--onion powder in the chicken parm, oils meats were cooked in, etc. All of that adds up to a dog not only being deprived of essential nutrients but being slowly poisoned by things their bodies were never meant to ingest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter