Feeling sad, after cruise is done with

guineapiggie

Earning My Ears
I just finished my first Disney cruise, which was the 14 day repositioning cruise from San Diego to Galveston.

Even though I was traveling solo, I had such a wonderful time. Although a 14 day cruise is exhausting, I’m kinda depressed now that that’s over. I know the best way to get over the post cruise blues is to plan another one. Do any of you get kinda “down in the dumps” after your cruise?

Thanks

For us, it tends to be a few weeks after the cruise, and we realize that, for us, this is what we love to do. Everyone has their own hobbies, and we love being on the ship, and at the moment, DCL.

But we love our time on the big red boat... And we enjoy the memories, and look forward to our next time we are able to do so.

We are at the point now, we buy the placeholder before we even leave Port Canaveral!

I usually feel buoyed for at least a few weeks post-cruise. I also tend to want to book another cruise pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I am a CM and just finished my contract and can assure you I feel the same! I have already seen photos and videos of the new Cast doing their thing which makes me feel sad I am doing doing it anymore! I hope you treasure the memories you have of your cruise for many years to come 💙

It hit me really hard the last couple of days of our last cruise. We were lucky and did three cruises this year. Because of this, we will not be cruising until probably fall of 2025. I so enjoyed being on all of the ships and spending 30 days on Disney in such a short period of time. Our next possible cruise just seems so far off. Also, our kids are getting older (DD 13 and DS 20 on our last cruise) so time with them is so precious and all our shared memories on DCL. Will so enjoy getting on another ship!

It definitely goes too fast on the ship. I usually tell the same old dad thing each cruise "enjoy this kids as it's the maximum time of our vacation" as we walk the gangway over onto the ship. If I don't say it now the kids do lol. Then it's warp speed and we're off the ship headed home.

I usually overcome the bug by booking another cruise. It's tougher to do as the prices have skyrocketed on all of the lines. Likely just meeting our inflation rate from last few years but it's harder for us to just throw down another deposit without thinking about alternatives.

I posted this a couple of days after getting off the Fantasy.

Who ever has a vacation time machine please turn it off​

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...ine-please-turn-it-off.3935690/#post-65198963

It was my wife and I fourteenth time on Disney. My mom came with us and it was her second Disney cruise in twenty two years.

Vacations always go quickly. Years ago we would visit Disney World for two weeks every year and as we watched people checking out we would think how much more time we had till we had to check out, then the next thing you know it was over and we were heading home.
The best way to get over the "My vacation is over blues " for us back then was to have another one booked with in a week or two after getting home.

For the cruise especially having a Place Holder helps.

At one time before the shut down my wife and I were doing two cruises a year. It was nice to know as one was over we had another one booked.
After the shut down we have been doing one cruise a year however having a Place Holder helps with the Vacation Blues a little.

Last edited:
I am a CM and just finished my contract and can assure you I feel the same! I have already seen photos and videos of the new Cast doing their thing which makes me feel sad I am doing doing it anymore! I hope you treasure the memories you have of your cruise for many years to come 💙
Mags2002, spending day and night with the same group of people for an extended time is a special opportunity. There are few experiences in life that offer it...college, military, summer camp counselor. It is difficult transition when it comes to an end with no easy way over it. There are things that help which I'm sure you are aware of. Wish you the best as you focus on your future.

I just finished my first Disney cruise, which was the 14 day repositioning cruise from San Diego to Galveston.

Even though I was traveling solo, I had such a wonderful time. Although a 14 day cruise is exhausting, I’m kinda depressed now that that’s over. I know the best way to get over the post cruise blues is to plan another one. Do any of you get kinda “down in the dumps” after your cruise?

Thanks
One thing I do is read trip reports. I especially like to go read on CC— there are more trip reports over there. And I like to read about other cruise lines and. about the cruise industry. Ther is a good book called Devils on a Deep Blue Sea.

I’m not feeling sad after this last cruise on the Fantasy that ended last Saturday. I caught Covid somehow, somewhere.

Luckily it was on day 5 or 6 so I’m able to recover at home. But that’s ok, I’m climbing back on that horse, the Fantasy, in about six weeks and riding her again.

The end of a vacation is always bittersweet for me. I wake up with the blues on the day I have to head home, and it takes a week or two for those blues to go away. I find that it helps to look at vacation options for the future. I don’t necessarily have to book the next one right away, but I need to be in research and plan mode.

Thanks
Always! It’s back to reality after all that pampering! Book another cruise soon!

I’m not feeling sad after this last cruise on the Fantasy that ended last Saturday. I caught Covid somehow, somewhere.

Luckily it was on day 5 or 6 so I’m able to recover at home. But that’s ok, I’m climbing back on that horse, the Fantasy, in about six weeks and riding her again.
Hope you feel better soon!

I'm usually a bit sad when it's over but not down in the dumps....that changed after our last cruise this past August. We were in Europe for 3 weeks including an 11 night cruise and once we got home I have to say the depression hit me HARD through til the beginning of October. Mostly because we aren't cruising again til sometime in 2025 (due to the Pandemic we last sailed Oct 2019 and didn't sail again until July 2022 so we took 3 cruises between July 2022 and August 2023).

I have a cruise music playlist I listen to so I can get back in the cruising state of mind. I also always have that placeholder in my back pocket.

Thank you for all your responses. I am feeling better now. I decided to start planning my next cruise which will hopefully be this summer on one of the Alaska cruises.

Also, once things settle down, I’m hoping to write a trip report (since when I was planning my trip, reading trip reports helped a lot), and it will help me relive the happy trip.

I do hope Disney will do another Panama Canal cruise in the future, since I may consider giving the westbound version a try.

Thank you for all your responses. I am feeling better now. I decided to start planning my next cruise which will hopefully be this summer on one of the Alaska cruises.

Also, once things settle down, I’m hoping to write a trip report (since when I was planning my trip, reading trip reports helped a lot), and it will help me relive the happy trip.

I do hope Disney will do another Panama Canal cruise in the future, since I may consider giving the westbound version a try.
You will love Alaska! We did it this summer and I already want to go back

And I agree with others, starting to plan another trip really helps - I booked our next cruise within days of coming back from Alaska (this next May!), and I'm also now waiting for the summer 2025 bookings to plan our next one after that 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter