Fiesta Texas

dennis99ss

DIS Veteran
I know, disney forum, but.....

This past weekend, we, dw, ds, ds went to fiesta texas along with mil, fil, sil, nephew and nephew. One nephew has prader willi, which, as I understand it has some aspects of autism, among other things. But, anyway, I was disappointed with the park personnel, but, the experience certainly did make disney seem better for people with needs (at least looking from the outside in.)

We stood in line for the carosel. Nephew had to change pants, so sil went with him to do so. They got a wheelchair for him to sit in due to his being 70 pounds, and a bit to big for the stroller, and, tires at times. So, when the rest of the family gets to the front of the line, sil is standing at the exit door, with nephew (who sometimes has problems staying focused in the lines). dw tells the operator that sil and nephew are with her. By this time, the other kids are running around, and on the carousel finding their horse, etc. to sit on. The operator says, well, you can wait till the next ride. ????? huh? why, there are open horses all around. And, by this time, nephew sees cousins and brother getting on the carousel, and starts to say I want to get on, then starts to scream, cry, etc. So, the ride starts, cousins, etc. are on, nephew is screaming, and, me is getting a bit pissed, along with sil, who is a bit upset at the whole thing. Guess what, all of the horses were not even filled.....

So, ride ends, and another operator comes, and tells sil that everybody has to wait, and that you just cannot show up at exit and get on........so, sil says bs.....the family waited, we were told get on next time, now is next time, etc.

Supervisor is called over, sil complains, after 5 minutes or so, nephew is allowed on, and then supervisor allows cousins to ride with him. Well, jerk who said all must wait goes to nephew and says since he is bigger than a child on the outside horse, they would have to switch, so smaller child (not part of our group) can be on the inside. Well, that is when dw got involved, told the jek to take a hike, that the child was not moving, etc. So, everybody on the carosel, but it is not moving, because sil is still talking to supervisor, and then security shows up to determine what the problem is............ (no, we didn't cuss them out, threaten to kick somebody's #@# or anything of the sort) appparently, security is a standard thing for some complaints----or so they said. So, these people hold up the ride for another 5 minutes or so, while sil explains the events that lead to the screaming child and the complaints surrounding the entire deal. Finally, they started the ride, to the claps of the other patrons.......

I can see how these things are disturbing, and imagine that they happen quite often, but, I just could not believe sf-fiesta texas would act in such a way------I still can't figure out why the nephew could not be allowed on the first time, when there were seats open, and the thing wasn't oving, and they were still checking the seat belts.

oh well, just a vent.....

Go figure.

Yep, it really makes youn realize how much better they do it at WDW. ::yes::

We went to Storyland in northern NH, which is lovely for most small children, but definately a low-end theme park (very high on the "cheesy" scale; and I'm not sure how to describe the clientele without seeming like an unbearable snob :snooty: ). For able-bodied DD, then 3, it was great fun, but then 5 yr old DS in his wheelchair could barely get around the park, much less get to the 3 accessible rides.:mad:

At WDW, it's really only Peter Pan and Pirates pirate: of the Caribbean that he is unable to ride. Plus the CMs at WDW treat DS like he is royalty (at Storyland he was something of a curiosity to them).
But we all knew they did it better at Disney anyway.

::MickeyMo

We have had the same problems at Fiesta Texas. They are not wheelchair or disabled friendly. I always get the feeling that they would just rather not bother with us there, but they have too. It sure makes you appreciate WDW!

BTW, Sea World in San Antonio does a much better job with the disabled. I would suggest going there next time.:wave2:

Originally posted by dizzyintx
...I always get the feeling that they would just rather not bother with us there, but they have too. It sure makes you appreciate WDW!...
My sentiments exactly!!

very sad story. It certainly does make you appreciate the places that make an effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter