Filipino pie??

mickeymousemom

Missing: Three tags last seen in this space. Larg
I know getting an answer to this question is darn near impossible, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about a type of Filipino pie that is custard like, could have honey in it and isn't overly sweet. I've searched and searched this but can't find much beyond a recipe for egg pie, but this says it is very rich. A woman my DH works with is Filipino and brought in this pie but refuses to give out the recipe as she may be opening a restaurant. He said it looked like a custard pie, was very firm, and was also shallow.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about this I owuld be forever grateful as I'd love to make this for DH....and I LOVE to bake pies.

Hi
Could it be a South African milk tart? Looks like a custard pie but isn't. Not too sweet.
Try looking for that. If you can't find one, I can ask one of the SA families at church and see what I come up with.
Lydia

mickeymousemom said:
I know getting an answer to this question is darn near impossible, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about a type of Filipino pie that is custard like, could have honey in it and isn't overly sweet. I've searched and searched this but can't find much beyond a recipe for egg pie, but this says it is very rich. A woman my DH works with is Filipino and brought in this pie but refuses to give out the recipe as she may be opening a restaurant. He said it looked like a custard pie, was very firm, and was also shallow.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about this I owuld be forever grateful as I'd love to make this for DH....and I LOVE to bake pies.

I work with a few girls from there, I'll ask and see if they have a name of the pie, or a recipe. I'm out on medical leave right now, so it might be a little while before I see them. I'll PM you if I get anything of interest...OK?

Please DO!! My DH had this wonderful pie made by a Filipino lady and she refuses to give out the recipe. The only recipe I can find that is directly related to the Phillipines is an egg pie, but I have yet to try it to see if its the same thing. DH loved it. Please feel free to PM me whenever you can find anything out....I would SOOO be indebted to you! :worship:

I am from Hawaii and I know some Filipino custard and egg pies and leche flan which is a Filipino dessert.

I looked up a description for you:

Leche flan is basically a Filipino custard made from egg yolks and/or eggs, milk, and sugar and it can be steamed or baked. It looks and tastes like crème brulée with a few exceptions, one of which is that a leche flan is baked/steamed in an oval mold called a llanera/lyanera (lya-ner-AH) that has been lined with caramelized sugar.

Here's a recipe: http://southeaststar.multiply.com/recipes/item/27

GL! :wizard:

Thank you so much for the recipe. Sadly enough this isn't what I was looking for. Someone PM'd me awhile back with a recipe very similar to this one. DH is pretty familiar with flan and he stated this one was in a pie pan with a crust...no caramel. He said it was not a very high pie, but was very smooth.

I did find a recipe for a Filipino Egg pie. This could be what it is, but I haven't tried it yet. Nay do it this weekend and let you all know how it turned out. He also thought it might hav honey in it. I found a recipe for honey pie that seems to have Filipino connections.

I so appreciate your help. If the other two fail, I will definitely try the flan...he's a man, so who knows if he IS even describing it the right way :teeth: :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter