Firework Viewing Outside the Park

tkd lisa

An old school dis boarder
We're going to be visiting WDW for 2 days before our Christmas cruise, and I was wondering if there was a place we can see the fireworks (preferably Wishes) from outside the MK on the night we arrive. We aren't going to be able to see Wishes in the park, because it's only going to be happening during the MVMCP, which I'm too cheap to pay for!

I was thinking of either the beach at the Poly, or the Contemporary observation deck. Has anyone had experience with either? Pros and cons, etc. Thanks for the help!

I don't know about where you mentioned but we have seen them from the ticket and transportation center. Great view.

We prefer the Grand Floridian, especially the area between Narcossee's and the resort ferry to MK. The resort pipes in music used in the parks for th e full effect, and it is much closer to the castle than the Poly.

One drawback is that unless you valet park, you will have to park at TTC and monorail over to GF.

HTH, Steve

I was thinking of either the beach at the Poly, or the Contemporary observation deck.
The beach at the Poly is good for the Castle/fireworks view. The Contemporary deck shows you just how far behind the casytle they are really launched. The music is piped in at the Contemp.(rather low) but not the Poly beach (I think).

Thanks! We might try the Grand Floridian (never been there), since the monorail ride would be considered exciting for all. How far of a walk is that area you referred to? FIL is a bit limited on mobility. We're getting a powerchair for the 2 park days, but won't have it that first night.

has anyone used these places for the new Wishes Fieworks as opposed to Spectro-i know the show is different with some cool effects in front of the castle.

Originally posted by tkd lisa...

...How far of a walk is that area you referred to? FIL is a bit limited on mobility...

It's not too bad - I'd say a leisurely 5 minutes, maybe less. From the monorail station, you need to take the elevator down to the main lobby. Then head straight out to the back of the resort. Just ask anyone where the resort ferry is, or Narcossee's restaurant, and you should have no trouble finding it.

Here is a map of the resort with the monorail station on the left and the spot where we usually watch the fireworks marked with an "X".

Steve

f89e9197.jpg

Something important to note is that during perimeter fireworks the walkways around the lagoon are closed off and guarded. So you might want to check and make sure they aren't perimeter fireworks and the spot you would like to view from will be accesibly before you head out there!

We watched the fireworks from the Poly beach last year. It is a good enough view (we knew we'd see them again close up later in the week). I'd have to watch our video to hear if the music was piped in...I don't think it was...

Originally posted by tkd lisa
[B. We aren't going to be able to see Wishes in the park, because it's only going to be happening during the MVMCP, which I'm too cheap to pay for!

Last year, Wishes did show on the nights when there was no Christmas party.

On our last trip, we saw Wishes twice outside the theme park. First time, sitting by the the dock at the Polynesian (music piped in) and it was very nice. Even nicer (view-wise) was from the 15th floor observation deck at the Contemporary (music also piped in). We looked down onto Tomorrowland and could see Tinkerbelle's flight!!! But, I understand from a thread on the restaurant board that you can no longer view fireworks from the 15th floor :( unless you have a PS for the California Grille and that they WILL check at the elevators. On the otherhand, there is supposed to be a fireworks viewing lounge on the 4th or 5th floor (?) of the Contemporary, but have no experience viewing them from that site. Sure beats having to claw your way through the MK crowds! (But, having said that, I'm glad we first saw Wishes from Main Street... the other two times were nice extras)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter