First a Little Pomp & Circumstance,then a Whole Lot of Disney Dining! COMPLETE

King Arthur and the Holy Grail by the World Showcase Players!!??? How is it that my family never knew about this? Is it always at the UK Pavilion? How many times per day?

Yes, they used to alternate their performances between the UK and Italy (where they performed Romeo & Edna :lmao:) but since Italy got the Ziti Sisters, they now only perform in the UK area. I think they usually do the King Arthur skit, but one time when we were walking by them on our last trip (in a hurry to get somewhere so didn't stop) they were doing something else. I think maybe it was Romeo & Edna. ;) Anyway I looked up the Epcot entertainment schedule for this week online and saw that they are listed to perform daily (5 performances each day between noon and 5:00). However, I think this is only because it's the busy summer season. I think when we have been there (May and Nov.) they were only there about 4 or 5 days of the week. So be sure to check the entertainment guide schedule when you are there. :thumbsup2

Oh, and by the way, their performances are great...and always a little different. They choose three people from the audience to play some of the starring roles, but the whole audience gets to participate in other ways. ;) It is a must-do for us to catch at least one performance on every trip! :thumbsup2

Interesting review of bluezoo - the one time we went there, the appetizers and dessert were all great, while the entrees and sides disappointed. At least the "highs" still beat Il Mulino. :)

I'm happy that at least one other person feels similarly about the Swan/Dolphin restaurants. I've never tried Shula's, but it's pretty clear from the menu that the food is basic steakhouse fare (not what we're interested in). But Il Mulino and bluezoo didn't blow away all of the WDW signatures IMO, in spite of the frequent commentary suggesting that on-site (or DDP-accepting) restaurants are inferior.

Yes, the Swan/Dolphin restaurants certainly do have many fans here. :rolleyes1 Although I must acknowledge that my experience with them is very limited (only one visit to each), the only one in which my first impression was good enough to make my current Top 5 Tier of Signature restaurants was bluezoo. And it just barely made it in at #5. For me, California Grill, YSH, Flying Fish, and Artist Point are all better, and Jiko is a very close #6. ;)

That said, I must also say that I am very anxious to return to bluezoo to do more research. :) And I would be willing to give Shula's another try sometime. But it would take some convincing for me to return to Il Mulino any time in the near future. IMO, there are just too many other better restaurants and too little time. :sad2:

Bluezoo looks really good, I love seafood so it would be perfect for me

We finally got round to having breakfast at WPE on our last trip and loved it :cloud9:

Yes, if you love seafood then I think bluezoo would be a good fit! Hopefully, your DH also likes seafood though because I can't really recommend the chicken there. ;) But then again, perhaps the pork or beef entrees are good??? Anyway, I hope you get to try it sometime. :thumbsup2

Great reviews. I'm all caught up but loving them so far.

I've had the Crispy Cornflake French Toast, and all it is is bagel french toast covered in cornflakes and cinnamon and sugar. Don't get me wrong, the thinner pieces of bagel were yummy and crispy, but the thicker pieces of bagel french toast pretty much taste like a chewy bagel with cornflakes on it. I think you made the right choice for breakfast.

Loving all your reviews so far! Thanks for the bluezoo review. I have been curious to check that place out and I think I might have to add that one to the list. It looks really cool in there!

The Breakfast Pizza at WPE is my absolute fav! Yum! The bagel french toast sounds very odd. I definitely think you made the right choice. :thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear about Fork & Screen! We go to AMC a few times every trip, but we have yet to try the dine-in theaters there, so I'm interested to hear about your experience there.

:welcome: to the new readers and thanks for taking the time to comment. It's always encouraging to know that there are people out there reading my ramblings. :goodvibes

Oh, and to jerseytink...my Fork & Screen review should be up soon! ;)

Yes, the Swan/Dolphin restaurants certainly do have many fans here. :rolleyes1 Although I must acknowledge that my experience with them is very limited (only one visit to each), the only one in which my first impression was good enough to make my current Top 5 Tier of Signature restaurants was bluezoo. And it just barely made it in at #5. For me, California Grill, YSH, Flying Fish, and Artist Point are all better, and Jiko is a very close #6. ;)

That said, I must also say that I am very anxious to return to bluezoo to do more research. :) And I would be willing to give Shula's another try sometime. But it would take some convincing for me to return to Il Mulino any time in the near future. IMO, there are just too many other better restaurants and too little time. :sad2:
Agreed - I'd definitely be willing to give bluezoo another chance (although I'd probably stick to appetizers). Not everything on the menu is perfect, but overall bluezoo showed a lot of potential and some of the food was very creative (which is definitely something I value - it's one of the reasons I love Yachtsman and don't feel a need to try Shula's). :)

As for WPE, if I spent more time at DTD, I know where I'd be eating all the time. :laughing: That breakfast pocket looks great - how fortunate for you that both of your daughters hated mushroom! I don't love mushrooms on their own, but I can appreciate them in the right context (and that dish looks like the right context :lmao:).

Bluezoo looks lovely! So the moral of your dinner review for this is that I would need to eat the bread and order dessert! I'm not a huge fish fan (love other seafood) and the chicken dish doesn't look so tasty.

I so want to try WPE for breakfast. Between you and Jerseytinkerbell you have me sold on the pizza pocket. :goodvibes

Good catch for the TiW discount not being applied - that would have been a lot of cash to leave on the table so to speak.

Looking forward to more!

As for WPE, if I spent more time at DTD, I know where I'd be eating all the time. :laughing: That breakfast pocket looks great - how fortunate for you that both of your daughters hated mushroom! I don't love mushrooms on their own, but I can appreciate them in the right context (and that dish looks like the right context :lmao:).

Bluezoo looks lovely! So the moral of your dinner review for this is that I would need to eat the bread and order dessert! I'm not a huge fish fan (love other seafood) and the chicken dish doesn't look so tasty.

I so want to try WPE for breakfast. Between you and Jerseytinkerbell you have me sold on the pizza pocket. :goodvibes

Well, if you throw in some appetizers between the bread and dessert, you might not leave bluezoo hungry. :laughing: I do seem to recall that you had some pretty tasty ones there, right Donald?

And I definitely think that the pocket is the way to go if you are having breakfast at WPE...unless of course you have an aversion to mushrooms, like some people I know. :rolleyes1 Heck with that bagel french toast, cornflake covered or not! :rotfl:

Well, if you throw in some appetizers between the bread and dessert, you might not leave bluezoo hungry. :laughing: I do seem to remember DonaldDoleWhip having some pretty tasty looking ones there.

And I definitely think that the pocket is the way to go if you are having breakfast at WPE...unless of course you have an aversion to mushrooms, like some people I know. :rolleyes1 Heck with that bagel french toast, cornflake covered or not! :rotfl:

I LOVE mushrooms!!! :love: I've heard about teh infamous corn flake french toast but I have not seen photos... It may make it a tougher decision if I do! :wizard:

Well, if you throw in some appetizers between the bread and dessert, you might not leave bluezoo hungry. :laughing: I do seem to recall that you had some pretty tasty ones there, right Donald?

Yep - the appetizers were great! Pics of them are in my bluezoo review. :goodvibes

Lunch at the AMC Theatre - Fork & Screen

I must admit that I have been stalling on this one, as I am somewhat ashamed by this review. Here is why...

My Plan for our Day at DTD: Have breakfast at WPE, shop for a couple of hours, be at AMC Theatre by no later than 12:30 for 1:00 movie, take our time perusing the menu (after taking a picture of it, of course), order lots of delicious food, take great pictures of food when it arrives and the theater too, lights are dimmed for movie to begin, sit back and enjoy movie while we eat, etc., etc.

The Reality of our Day at DTD: Had breakfast at WPE (so far so good ;)), shopped for more than just a couple of hours (here was our downfall), practically ran to theatre, got there at 12:50, quickly glanced at menu (completely forgot to take a pic of it), ordered the first two things we could all agree on, hurriedly took a couple of not-so-great pics of the room while waiting for our food, lights dimmed for movie to begin, food arrived, tried to take pictures in the dark. :sad2:

And here is the result...

9d0ba0eb.jpg

Doesn't this look delicious??? :rotfl:

And after some editing...

9d0ba0eb-2.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet? :confused3

Well, if you guessed Chicken Quesadillas than you would be correct! :thumbsup2

Here is the description from the menu: Classic Chicken Quesadillas - $9.99 Southwest seasoned grilled chicken and shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses melted inside grill-toasted flour tortillas.

And speaking of the menu, here it is...http://dinein.amctheatres.com/menu

Our ratings for the Chicken Quesadillas ranged from "Okay" to "Very Good", so an average of
wendy-1.jpg
"Good".

After much editing the next picture turned out a little better...you can at least recognize what it is I hope??? ;)

3161787f.jpg

wendy-1.jpg
Queso Blanco Dip & Chips - $7.49
Diced tomato and green chilies in a white Cheddar cheese dip served with fresh tortilla chips.

For this we had two "Good" ratings and one just "Okay", so again an average score of "Good".

The real star of our lunch actually turned out to be the drinks, as both DDs had smoothies (one strawberry-banana and the other peach-mango) that scored "Very Good" ratings.
clippetersitting-1.jpg

Sorry but I didn't take pictures of the smoothies...I'd just given up at this point. ;)

So our overall rating for the food/drinks was: -
wendy-1.jpg
Good

But I am happy to report that once we relaxed and settled into the very comfy theater chairs, we very much enjoyed the movie. And the ability to munch on something a little more substantial than popcorn and milk duds while we watched, made the experience even more enjoyable. Plus of course, it didn't hurt that the movie starred Johnny Depp.:love: Even if he did play a blood-sucking vampire. :lmao:

And so I'll finish this somewhat mediocre review (hopefully you at least had a few chuckles :laughing:) with none other than our not-so-great pictures of the theater... :rolleyes1

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

and of course my humblest apologies. :guilty:

I promise I will do better next time we are here, as I'm pretty sure there will be a next time. :thumbsup2

NEXT UP: Dinner at Raglan Road

Yep - the appetizers were great! Pics of them are in my bluezoo review. :goodvibes

Thank you for posting the link to your review.:thumbsup2 Your appetizers look delicious, especially those shrimp. Now I remember why I wanted to have them...I had read about the shrimp (and seen the pic) in your review. ;) I definitely think we missed out on the full experience at bluezoo by not having any of their appetizers. Oh well, I guess it's something to look forward to on our next visit.

I don't have an issue with your pics in the AMC review - everything is recognizable (even though I couldn't tell what was in the quesadillas), and it's nice to see the layout of the theater. I don't know if I'll ever try AMC dine-in, but it looks like a cool experience. :)

Thank you for posting the link to your review.:thumbsup2 Your appetizers look delicious, especially those shrimp. Now I remember why I wanted to have them...I had read about shrimp (and seen the pic) in your review. ;) I definitely think we missed out on the full experience at bluezoo by not having any of their appetizers. Oh well, I guess it's something to look forward to on our next visit.
Sounds like a great plan! The appetizers are worth going back for. :goodvibes

I thoroughly enjoyed your review of AMC, it did make me chuckle, and I think you did an outstanding job, considering the darkness and the rush you were in!

Can't wait to read your review of Raglan Road. As a matter of fact, I am on the edge of my seat for it!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your reviews!!! We are eating at several of these places for our upcoming trip!

I don't have an issue with your pics in the AMC review - everything is recognizable (even though I couldn't tell what was in the quesadillas), and it's nice to see the layout of the theater. I don't know if I'll ever try AMC dine-in, but it looks like a cool experience. :

I thoroughly enjoyed your review of AMC, it did make me chuckle, and I think you did an outstanding job, considering the darkness and the rush you were in!

Can't wait to read your review of Raglan Road. As a matter of fact, I am on the edge of my seat for it!

Thank you both for the kind words regarding my last review. I'm almost done with my Raglan Road review so should be posting it very soon. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to reading the rest of your reviews!!! We are eating at several of these places for our upcoming trip!

:welcome: and thanks for reading and commenting! :) I just now read your Pre-Dining report and see that you are dining at Raglan Road. My RR review is coming up next! :thumbsup2

Background: With this being a longer than normal trip for us, I decided that we should spend a whole day at Downtown Disney...something we hadn't done for a couple of years. So in terms of food, a full day meant from breakfast to dinner. That's three meals or three new restaurants/food venues we could try. I was very excited just thinking about all the possibilities. But then about a week before our trip, I made the mistake of discussing my dining plans with my daughters. When told of my plans for our DTD day, their response was..."Couldn't we just skip breakfast and sleep-in an extra hour?" WHAT??? And give up the opportunity to finally try some of the breakfast foods at Wolfgang Puck Express??? No way!!! :mad: So I had to do some quick thinking to avoid this potential mutiny. :idea: In my most diplomatic voice, I proposed a deal to my rebellious offspring. If they joined me for breakfast at WPE, then they could each choose where we would have one of our other two meals of this day. They took the bait...I mean, they accepted my proposal. ;) So now I just needed to convince them that the new places that I wanted to try, were the ones that they wanted to try. DD2 was a pushover, she was all for combining our lunch with seeing a movie. One down, one to go. I then started working on DD1, suggesting that we could have dinner at Portobello since we all like Italian food. No, she didn't want to have Italian again so soon after our dinner at Il Mulino. Okay then, how about if we try the Cuban food at Bongo's? No, she didn't feel like Cuban food. What? How do you know that you won't feel like Cuban food a week from now??? :rolleyes: Yes, I thought this, but what I said to her was, "How about Fulton's for seafood?" No, we will be having seafood the night before at bluezoo. At this point I knew where this was heading and that my plan to try all new places at Downtown Disney had been foiled. I resigned myself to the fact that we would be having...

Dinner at Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant

Now don't get me wrong, I really do like Raglan Road. It's just that it is the one table-service restaurant at Downtown Disney where we have eaten, and not just once but at least four times. So I just thought it might be nice to try something new, but I guess we are in fact creatures of habit...even at the ripe-old age of 22. Okay I'm done with the complaining, now on to our review...

We arrived at Raglan Road about a 1/2 hour before our 7:00 reservation, but this was not a problem. In fact, they seated us so quickly that my DDs barely got their feet into the door of the Raglan Road gift shop...thereby saving me a few dollars. ;) I asked that we be seated in the main dining area where all the action takes place and my request was granted. By all the action, I of course mean the entertainment, which includes the Raglan Road Irish Dancers and their house band, Creel.

IMG_0319.jpg

02fa883e.jpg

I was so distracted by the wonderful entertainment (and taking pictures of them), that I completely forgot to take pictures of the menu. So here is a link to the dinner menu on the Raglan Road website.

http://www.raglanroad.com/stuff-yourself/dinner-menu

And speaking of their website, I learned many things about Raglan Road that I had not known before. For instance, I discovered that Raglan Road is indeed a "TRUE" IRISH PUB. Its owners and chef (Kevin Dundon) are from Ireland, the band members and dancers are Irish-born, most of the furnishings were custom-made in Ireland, and even the four antique bars (which are each more than 130 years old) were imported from Ireland. In fact, according to the website, "the bleedin' building's from Ireland." "Built entirely in Ireland, shipped lock, stock & beer barrel to Downtown Disney." So I doubt that you could find a more authentic Irish pub outside of the country of Ireland.

Getting back to our dinner now...DD1 was having a difficult time deciding which of the many beers to order from the Drinks Menu. And then she spotted this in the Specialty Libations section of the menu...

301524ae.jpg

th7-1-1-1.jpg
Iced Irish - Irelands answer to Starbucks with alcohol added of course. Baileys Caramel Irish Cream, Butterscotch Schnapps, Bushmills whiskey & coffee topped off with fresh cream

She loved this and said that she was impressed by the generous amount of alcohol it contained. :woohoo:

Next came our basket of Irish Soda Bread, which I thought I took a picture of but can't seem to find it. So in lieu of a picture, here is a link to a video I found of Chef Kevin Dundon demonstrating how to make the Raglan Road Irish Soda Bread...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/07/how-to-make-irish-soda-bread-at-downtown-disney/

I know some people don't like this bread, but I happen to really enjoy it. But only when it is dipped in the Guinness beer/brown sugar sauce that they serve with it. Yum!

For an appetizer, I really wanted to order the Appetizer D'Lirrah for us all to share. This is a sampler platter of some of their most popular appetizers, the Dalkey duo, Scallop forrest, Heaven on Earth and Nom Nom Wings. However we decided that we weren't that hungry so instead DD1 and I shared this...

481b38cd.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Heaven on Earth - Baby back ribs tossed in a Guinness glaze

I think these are appropriately named because they were tender and delicious, covered with the same Guinness dipping sauce as was served with the bread I believe. ;)

DD1 and I also shared an entree. Here is where I must admit that I too am very much a creature of habit because every time (including this one) I've been to Raglan Road I have always had this for my entree.

62766eb4.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Fish & Chips - Beer battered cod and thick-cut french fries

Our server told us that Raglan Road flies their fish in from Boston daily so it is always very fresh. I apologize for not taking a better picture of this, one where you could actually see the portion size. Although there was just one piece of fish, it was large enough for the two of us to share, plus there were a lot of french fries to eat. I've always really enjoyed the Fish & Chips here, so it would be really difficult for me to order anything else at Raglan Road.

However, I can always count on DD2 to try something different every time. This time she chose...

IMG_0318.jpg

wendy-1.jpg
It's a Porker - Grilled pork chop with colcannon potatoes & a port cider jus with apple chutney

She said that this was good, but not nearly as good as the pork chop she had Le Cellier the day before.

Since DD1 and I had shared our appetizer and entree, we still had room for dessert. But not a lot of room, so again we shared this...

IMG_0321.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Ger's Bread & Butter Pudding with Butterscotch and Custard Sauces (served on the side in small pitchers)

This is another must-have during each and every visit to Raglan Road and it was again delicious. The only bad thing about it is that it is so big and filling that even the two of us couldn't finish it all.

Writing this review made me curious as to how difficult the Raglan Road Bread & Butter Pudding would be to make at home. In case you are interested, here is a link to the recipe I found: http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec_bbpd.htm

While reading through the ingredients for this, I had to chuckle when I saw that the raisins were to be soaked in Irish mist. I was wondering if this might be on the same order as the Raspberry air that is part of Le Cellier's cheesecake dessert??? But then I found that Irish mist is actually an Irish Whiskey Liqueur. Ahhhh...that makes sense!!! After all, it seems that most of the food at Raglan Road has some form of alcohol involved...Guinness dipping sauce/marinade, beer-battered fish, port cider jus, etc. So why am I not surprised that their signature dessert has whiskey-soaked raisins. :rotfl:

As far as I know though, DD2's dessert did not contain any form of alchohol. ;) She spotted this raspberry dessert on the menu and she was sold.

IMG_0320.jpg

clipsmee-1.jpg
Dundon's Delight - Raspberry pavlova with vanilla pod (bean) ice cream and raspberry sauce

Now when she ordered this, she had no idea what pavlova was but with the dessert having "raspberry" listed twice in the description she figured it had to be good. Well, I guess she figured wrong because she gave this only an "Okay" rating. It turns out that she is not a fan of pavlova, which (just in case you too are not familiar with) is a meringue dessert with a crisp and crunchy outer shell, and a soft, moist marshmallow-like center.

So our overall rating for this meal was:
clippetersitting-1.jpg
Very Good

The next time we visit Downtown Disney, perhaps we will try one of the other many table-service restaurants there. But then again, since we have always had very good meals at Raglan Road, maybe we will just stick with it. You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." ;)

NEXT UP: Breakfast at Sleepy Hollow

Ok...I kind of loved your AMC review! You just have a way of making all of your reviews fun and I love the stories behind them. I'm not a real fish or seafood lover (unless it's breaded and deep fried!!!) so I might actually need to give the fish & chips a try at Raglan Road. It sounds yummy! Can't wait to see what you have at Sleepy Hollow!

Thanks for the Fork & Screen review! :thumbsup2 I keep trying to talk DH into eating there, but he's not feeling it for some reason. It looks really good though! The theater is so cool looking too! I have to check it out one of these days.

Your Raglan Road meal looks delicious! I absolutely must try that Iced Irish drink next time. Yum! I ate at Raglan Road a few years ago and I went just for the Bread and Butter Pudding and when we went to order dessert they were all out of it that day. Very disappointing. I definitely have to make another trip to Raglan Road if only for the drink and the dessert. :laughing:

I lvoe Raglan Road and am also a creature of habit - I always get the fish and chips. They are so delicious. Sadly, DH is not keen on RR so we haven't been there in a couple of trips but I am determined to change all that...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter