First aid stations and insulin shots

memakwed

DIS Veteran
My mom is insulin dependent. We have traveled to Disney many times but she’s always had her insulin schedule so she was in the hotel. She now has to take a shot at 11 am. Can she go to a first aid station in the parks to take it verses the public restroom.

Or she can just take her shot wherever she is at. There is nothing wrong with giving yourself a shot in public. Believe it or not, no one notices. I've been a Type 1 for decades and used to give my shots everywhere. .....rides, shows and restaurants. Now I use a pump (which I love) and I do my pump changes in public. I don't think even my family notices when I do it.

I have changed my infusion set walking down Main Street and no one said a word to me or gave me a second look. I have also given my self shoot ( when something went wrong with my pump) all over Disney. You can go to first aid if you like and they are fine with you using a room but I do not want to much time form doing other things in the park for me to do that.

My mom is T1 diabetic since 11 years old. She just takes her shot wherever and puts sharp in a container to dispose of when she can. No need to make a special trip to First Aid.
If your mom needs to keep insulin cool, I recommend getting a Frio container.

My mom is T1 diabetic since 11 years old. She just takes her shot wherever and puts sharp in a container to dispose of when she can. No need to make a special trip to First Aid.
If your mom needs to keep insulin cool, I recommend getting a Frio container.
She dose not need to go to first aid but she might be more comfortable doing it at first aid then else were in the parks. First aid is fine if that what she wants

She can do it in First Aid, but one thing to think about is where First Aid is compared to where she will be eating and the time from when she does the injection to when she eats.

If it’s a full service restaurant, she may not get seated or served right away. Even with buffets, guests can get food right away, but may have a wait time between checking in and getting seated.

Counter service restaurants may have a fairly long wait time to order, depending on how busy it is. You want to look into WDW’s remote ordering option where guests can order ahead of time and pick up their order with a minimal wait.

She can do it in First Aid, but one thing to think about is where First Aid is compared to where she will be eating and the time from when she does the injection to when she eats.

If it’s a full service restaurant, she may not get seated or served right away. Even with buffets, guests can get food right away, but may have a wait time between checking in and getting seated.

Counter service restaurants may have a fairly long wait time to order, depending on how busy it is. You want to look into WDW’s remote ordering option where guests can order ahead of time and pick up their order with a minimal wait.
My family did the mobilie ordering at the American palvvion at EPCOT there was hardly a line at the register to order food yet we waited a good 20-30 minutes for our food. Most of the time it is faster but sometimes it is not. I would alway Carry something in case of lows.

I am a type 1 diabetic and I take my insulin wherever I am at the time. I have had too many instances where it has taken a long time to be seated and ended up low. Not a fun experience. No one notices but even if someone did, it is their problem. We have to do what is right for us

Not insulin but at one point I was on medication that i injected into my stomach. When it was time for it, I just took out the pen, stepped a bit to the side and did the injection. I can’t remember exactly what I did with the needle at that moment but I would dispose of them in a restroom when I was walking by. I don’t remember anyone really noticing what I was doing other than my dh who would wait for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter