First Cruise Help

When we first dipped out toes in the water to see if we would like to cruise; we did a four night cruise. We found this to be way too short!!!
If everyone in your party is excited to give cruising a try, I would recommend seven nights. If you have at least one person in the crowd that is absolutely positively sure he/she will hate a cruise; than I would recommend a shorter cruise.
But I would at least make it four or five nights. It gives you a little more time to learn how to navigate the ship and figure out how it all works. There is so much to do while on the ship that you will probably be skipping something in order to do another thing that sounds more interesting. And if you do miss something one day it may be offered the next.
I must admit, when my wife first suggested we go on a cruise (1987) I was one of those people that was never interested in giving it a try. We have our tenth cruise booked for next year, 10 nights.

Last edited:
We just completed our first cruise last month. It was a seven night Northern Europe cruise and we had a wonderful time! We think the seven day itinerary was perfect! Since we had never cruised before, we weren't sure what to expect and I was a little worried about feeling "trapped" on the ship (silly I know :)) , but it didn't feel that way at all. Although I haven't yet been on a shorter cruise, I would imagine they would feel rushed and that the trip would be over just as you were starting to feel relaxed and in "vacation mode." However, in the end it really just depends on what you want to do. I definitely agree with the recommendations to book another cruise while on board. We enjoyed ourselves so much we ended up booking a 2018 Mediterranean cruise on our fourth day. :)

Our first cruise was through the Panama Canal on the Magic in 2008. 14 days and it still seemed too short. Seven DCL cruises later on three of the ships (never will be on the Dream unless it offers 7-day+ packages), wife and I want to feel we are in true vacation mode when we travel. People ask us which one of the cruises was best (Med., WBTrans, Med, 3 Caribb, Alaska and PC). All were so unique that it is like asking which child you like best...each loved in its own way. It helps to plan for your cruise, but don't overdo it...let the fun come to you and be surprised a couple of times.

Thank you all so much! I think we are looking into a 7 Night Eastern Caribbean cruise in November, December or January. I personally don't find Nassau and huge must for me. Tortola and St. Thomas/St. John look absolutely gorgeous.

If I can't convince the rest of the group traveling to do a 7 night cruise then maybe we will do a land and sea vacation with a cruise and Disneyworld.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter