FIRST Disney trip - are we making the right choice?

jbher

Earning My Ears
Hi there!

We are planning our very first Disney trip for the first week in May 2014, we are staying for one week. We are renting points from a DVC member and the reservation is being made this week. We have been planning to rent two Savannah view studio's at Jambo house in Animal Kingdom resort. I feel like I am driving myself nutty reading so many reviews and comparing resorts and rooms.

In our party will be myself, my husband and our 3 children (ages at time of travel 9, 6 and 1 1/2yrs) plus my parents are joining us as well (in their own studio). We plan to have two days that are "hotel days" filled with just pool time and relaxing. Are we making a good choice with room and resort? Or do any of you have better suggestions for first-timers?

Thanks so much!!
Jen

You'll love AKV! It was the resort we went to for our first visit and my kids adored it. So do I. The only thing that has kept us from returning is getting a good rate. I know people will complain that it feels remote or that you have to bus everywhere but honestly we never, ever felt that it was a big deal. The atmosphere of the resort is wonderful - great choice. :thumbsup2

Just curious about your decision to rent 2 studios versus 1-bedroom with 3 small children? Or if your parents are joining you, a 2 bedroom lock-off?

Given the size of the resort, and the logistics of getting room adjacent or even near each other, I would suggest the 2 bedroom lock-off, with your family in the 1-bedroom and your parents in the studio. Only way to guarantee proximity to all in your party. Also you gain a full kitchen and washer and dryer in your unit.

If you want an extra bathroom, I'd go with Kidani over Jambo.

Just my thoughts.

The resort(s) are stunning. If your kids love animals, it cannot be beat.

Good luck!

Have you considered a 2 bedroom standard view?

For 9 extra points (255 vs 246), you would have an extra bathroom, a king sized bed for yourselves and approximately 345 extra square feet of space for the kids. Your parents would have their own studio room, your kids could sleep out on the pullout couch and your toddler could stay with you in the master bedroom. Plus you'll have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer.

Obviously the view won't be the same as a savannah view so that's something to consider.

I, personally, cannot see any of the DVC resorts (or the deluxe resorts, for that matter) being a "mistake" no matter what the ages and/or numbers of people going. Yes, you might figure out that you want a different sized room the next time. Or, perhaps, you decide that a resort closer to a specific park would be better for you next time. Maybe you even *gasp* decide to save money next time and go to a lower-level resort. At least, next time, you'll have some idea of what is available.

Starting out with a DVC resort gives you some extra breathing space in terms of having the microwave & mini-fridge for no extra cost or worry, access to transportation that is (usually) not as crowded as at POP or All-Stars, and a general opportunity to look around and see what's available. It's hard to read about rooms and be certain that you'd react the same way someone else does; once you've had this first stay, you'll have your own experience to 'hang' someone else's experiences off of. Enjoy your stay!

You'll love AKV! It was the resort we went to for our first visit and my kids adored it. So do I. The only thing that has kept us from returning is getting a good rate. I know people will complain that it feels remote or that you have to bus everywhere but honestly we never, ever felt that it was a big deal. The atmosphere of the resort is wonderful - great choice. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

We did your exact stay as our first DVC experiences and my parents were in a studio right across the hall. The request was made for us to e close together and we lucked out.

Make sure you understand the housekeeping differences for DVC compared to a regular hotel, so your expectations are not missed.

AKL is great and your plan to be in Jambo House puts you right at the main pool and all 3 food choices.

If you ended up at Kidani be aware the rooms are great, but the pool is smaller, and there is only one restaurant with limited appeal and no quick service.

The main reasons to stay at AKL DVC is if you love the rooms (they are wonderful), the savanna views (I spent way more time on my balcony that I expected), and you want to be close to Animal Kingdom park. It is a longer ride to the other parks than for any other of the onsite Disney resorts.

With little kids, many people would want to be closer to the Magic Kingdom, and for DVC that means Wilderness Lodge Villas or Bay Lake Tower.

have a great first visit - no matter which resort you end up at - they are all great!

Get ready for some serious sensory overload. If it were me I would pick a resort that saves me money. You will be overwhelmed trying to figure out where everything is, what's in the parks, how to get there, which park to visit, what to see, how Disney works. I am afraid that enjoying the resort will be the last thing on your mind.

On about your 3rd visit, you will have a good feel for what's where and what bus/boat to get on. What rides and attractions are in which park, and your visits will be less of a blur.

You can read about it, you can watch it on TV and on You Tube, but until you live it, you really don't get an appreciation for how big WDW is, the number of Guests that will be there, the number of restaurants and things to see and do.

When you get back from vacation be prepared to take a vacation from your vacation. You will need the rest! :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

I have to go with others, and suggest squeaking out the extra funds for a 2BR. With kids that age, it would be so nice for your whole family to be in one room together. A standard view 2BR at Kidani would give you 3 full bathrooms, washer and dryer, and a full-size refrigerator and kitchen. Having a washer and dryer is great with the little ones, plus you could pack fewer clothes and wash the swim gear daily. A lock-off would give the in-laws a private entrance and they would have a kitchenette and sofa-bed for sitting. Even though the standard view rooms don't face the savanna, there are several places at the resort to stop and view the animals.

In addition, the pool area at Kidani is much better for kids that age. The splash play area is awesome! Another advantage of Kidani is that the park buses stop there first and then go to Jambo. They are generally empty when they pull up, so everyone in your party will have a seat if they want one. The one drawback to Kidani that comes up all of the time is the lack of a counter service restaurant. It is not a big issue for us, but it is very easy to hop a park bus or take the shuttle van to Jambo to access Mara if needed.

Enjoy!

I'd never rent points for a first trip. I'd much rather have the hotel experience than the timeshare experience. A first trip to Disney is stressful enough without putting a third party in play. If you can cancel, i would and book a package and let disney manage the details. Once you are ready for a second trip, you can rent points.

As the PPs, I would certainly suggest a 2 BR standard at Kidanni. The added amenities from a studio will certainly be useful with the kids. I also think the pook (and the splash area) at Kidanni is more kid friendly.

But whatever you decide, Jambo / Kidanni - Studios or 2BR, you will have a great time.

Take the time to research the parks and attractions and know that you will not see everything there is to see. And then just be happy having a magical time with your family.

I'd never rent points for a first trip. I'd much rather have the hotel experience than the timeshare experience. A first trip to Disney is stressful enough without putting a third party in play. If you can cancel, i would and book a package and let disney manage the details. Once you are ready for a second trip, you can rent points.

I second this. It's stressful enough just going for the first time, trying to figure it all out. But adding a rental into the mix makes it harder.

We rented for our first trip and had a great time. We went during a low season but these boards are extremely helpful along with a few others. To me, AKL Jambo villas was just the same as booking an AKL resort room.

OK, this is going to be our, Third Trip actually, so I kind of have to agree, by the third trip, IF ... and only IF ... you do your research, you will really get a feel for Disney World. Although, I also have to say FP+ is throwing a wrench into what I "know" ... as you can see by the post count, I have put a LOT of effort into researching this stuff over the last ... less than a year.

Our first trip was awesome, although, we knew nothing, didn't research a thing, it was our honeymoon, but also an amazing family vacation, my sister and neice and partner, some family friends, and my mom, a cancer victim still in treatment. Uncle and Aunt came to visit. Cousins came to visit. It was amazing.

BUT, our second trip, This past May, we realized how much we MISSED the first time. I had spent 6 months on these boards before hand, and learned SO very much. Since then, learned even more.

Anyway, all this brought us to our third an impending trip, May 2 - 16 also at AKL Jambo. (What are your dates ???).

We realized renting points was the way to go. Staying at AKV Jambo is going to cost us $20 more then getting a King Bed at a Moderate WITH a 30% discount. So ... yea, good move.

That being said, the whole experience is going to be overwhelming for you I'd imagine. I think, don't worry about it, honestly, just don't. Your first trip is going to be SOOOOOO magical. Afterwards, then do some research and try to squeeze more and more out of any other trips you might take. If you are like us, one trip might just get you hooked :)

I would go with either a 1-bedroom unit for your family of 5 or a 2-bedroom unit with the grandparents. You will have a full kitchen and a stacked washer/dryer combo right in the villa.

A 1-bedroom will cost slightly fewer points than 2 studios and a 2-bedroom is cheaper than 3 studios.

In Kidani, 1-bedroom units sleep 5 and have 2 bathrooms. The 2-bedroom units sleep 9 and have 3 bathrooms.

I completely agree with getting a 2BR instead of 2 studios. The laundry and whirlpool tub are FABULOUS when travelling with children.

I also agree with choosing AKV as first-time visitors. Although many people do not like the transportation, it is probably the least convoluted of all of them. It's really simple...you take a bus! There's no figuring out if monorail/boat/bus/walking is the best option. Yes, it may take a little longer and, yes busses can be a PITA with strollers, but when you plan where you are going to go, you know you are headed to the bus stop.

If you are going to have a car, I would definitely suggest Kidani since it has the underground parking and you can park right under your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter