First DVC trip, quadruple split stay, feedback appreciated!

kollerbear

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I'm overjoyed to have JUST booked a holiday trip using my parents' points! I feel spoiled rotten. In fairness, they were seriously about to just let them EXPIRE. I offered repeatedly to plan and book trips for them or to help them rent them out, but they were in the middle of a big move for the past couple of months, kept putting the issue off, and at this point they just won't be able to travel before the end of January. They have let points expire in the past--but that was before I was a DISer and KNEW BETTER! So this year my boyfriend and I will be salvaging them (SELFLESSLY) and taking a long overdue vacation ourselves! (We've been taking care of my grandmother for the past three years and she has been living with us since the end of January. Now that my parents are back in the country, she will be moving in with my parents around Thanksgiving, so this trip is kind of a celebration to have the house to ourselves again! We've cherished the opportunity to spend time with her, but we're also ready for the next stage in our lives, to get married, start our own family, etc..)

ANYWAY. (Sorry, I'm just so excited.)

So because we could only travel the week or so before Christmas, I tried to use of as many of my parents' 189 points as possible with the terrible availability that's left right now. (My parents' home resort is Saratoga, which I don't like too much--maybe because I'm from New York state?--it just doesn't feel very special to me.) I ended up with the following:

December 18-19: AKL Kidani Village, Savannah-view Studio
December 20: BLT, Theme Park-view One-bedroom Villa
December 21: BLT, Lake-view One-bedroom Villa
December 22-23: SSR, Studio
December 24-25: Hilton Head, One-bedroom Villa

Here is where I'm completely at a loss and would really love some help. I put in two waitlists--one for a lake-view room on December 20 so that we wouldn't have to change rooms at BLT (I personally don't really care much about the theme park-view) and one for Boardwalk Villas on the 22-23, because more than anything I'd really love to NOT be staying at SSR.

If you guys were trying to avoid staying at SSR on the 22-23, which waitlist would you be on? Is BWV a good bet? I put BWV Boardwalk-view studio... would it be better for me to put a different view? What would you think is more likely to open up? I'd be thrilled to stay at BCV, WLV or OKW instead, too. I'd probably prefer that to being in one room at BLT throughout my stay. Should I hedge my bets, remove that BLT waitlist, and put two waitlists in for the 22-23 at two different resorts?

OR is it pretty much hopeless that a wait list will open up for the 22-23, and I should put my energies elsewhere? For example, I'd love to be at Jambo House instead of Kidani. Or would that be a waste of a wait list? I admit--with so many reservations up in the air, I'm a little confused about what to do since I've never stayed at any of these places (except for SSR!)

If it helps give a sense of what we like, my boyfriend at I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside three years ago during my family's last big family trip (last minute plans, different resort for privacy) and we LOVED LOVED LOVED that place. The landscaping was beautiful, it was so quiet and everything was so easy to get to. When we visited my family at SSR, we were amazed how much more we liked POR. So POR is kind of our Disney ideal.

Thanks so much for any feedback you can give--I'm just so beyond thrilled to be going on a Disney vacation!!

...I ended up with the following:

December 18-19: AKL Kidani Village, Savannah-view Studio
December 20: BLT, Theme Park-view One-bedroom Villa
December 21: BLT, Lake-view One-bedroom Villa
December 22-23: SSR, Studio
December 24-25: Hilton Head, One-bedroom Villa

Here is where I'm completely at a loss and would really love some help. I put in two waitlists--one for a lake-view room on December 20 so that we wouldn't have to change rooms at BLT (I personally don't really care much about the theme park-view) and one for Boardwalk Villas on the 22-23, because more than anything I'd really love to NOT be staying at SSR.

If you guys were trying to avoid staying at SSR on the 22-23, which waitlist would you be on? Is BWV a good bet? I put BWV Boardwalk-view studio... would it be better for me to put a different view? What would you think is more likely to open up? I'd be thrilled to stay at BCV, WLV or OKW instead, too. I'd probably prefer that to being in one room at BLT throughout my stay. Should I hedge my bets, remove that BLT waitlist, and put two waitlists in for the 22-23 at two different resorts?

OR is it pretty much hopeless that a wait list will open up for the 22-23, and I should put my energies elsewhere? For example, I'd love to be at Jambo House instead of Kidani. Or would that be a waste of a wait list? I admit--with so many reservations up in the air, I'm a little confused about what to do since I've never stayed at any of these places (except for SSR!)...

All I can say is I hope you are driving from NY. Otherwise, you have a long hike to HHI from Lake Buena Vista.

I'd forget the BW view at BWV. Go with the preferred pool/garden because that is 60% of the total villas at BWV and you have a better chance of that coming through.

There are more villas at KV than JH, so keep KV.

With SSR, you can take advantage of DTD and the dining there. Plus the spa will be available and that might be a great Christmas present to each other.

Thank you!! We are driving--I promised my boyfriend Civil War battlefields, the Blue Ridge Mountains, and other geographical oogling along the way, which is making him pleased as punch.

This is SO HELPFUL, I am going to change the waitlist right now to the pool view! What a great point about the spa, though, I hadn't thought of that. Hey, no matter what, there is no disappointment here!!

the largest DVC resorts are SSR, OKW, AKV, BWV, BLT

At BWV, the largest category, by far, is Pool view. I would switch the W/L to pool view if you want the biggest chance to stay at BWV.

Lake View is the biggest category at BLT.

After doing a trip with (3) 2 day segments... Its not ideal, you are unpacking before the 1st night, and starting to pack up before the 2nd night so you fan check out the next AM....but I would have a hard time dropping BLT.

I don't know how much access you have, but you can have the best luck "stalking the website" (checking every morning, if possible, to try grabbing anyone's cancellation.). The biggest movement will be 30-37 days out as people cancel uncertain plans before points go into holding. If you find one day, grab it then change your W/L for a more-likely 1 day.

Thank you, that is great advice about looking for 1-days opening up. My mom has given me the log-in (they acknowledged long ago that I know WAY more about booking and planning Disney trips than they do... and are very trusting... mwah hah hah hah.)

Yes, I was surprised that my bf was open to three 2-day stays, but I see it as a good way to stay in some places we won't really be able to again, and also, esp. if BWV comes through, we'll have easy access to different parks and restaurants. I guess we just won't unpack--sad, but not too much of a loss considering that we get to go to Disney!

IMO your schedule won't be much of a vacation. We did 3 split stays once and decided never to do more than 2, if any in the future and to keep the segments to 5 days minimum.

Checking out at 11 and not getting a new room until 4, packing, moving, really upsets the day. Yes it can be done but it isn't very enjoyable.

:earsboy: Bill

I generally like the rooms much better at Kidani than at Jambo. If you get a Sunset Savannah view at Kidani, it is the same savannah that you can see from Jambo. The two or three times that we stayed at Jambo DVC before Kidani opened, we actually had a Sunset Savannah view, and once a Uzima view. As a matter of fact, the last time we stayed and had a Sunset Savannah view at Kidani, we could see the room that we stayed in at Jambo. I think that you can see the animals better from Kidani. In all the times we stayed at AKL, before DVC and after, we have never had a room on Arusha savannah. I know that if you pay cash for a room, that those are more expensive. That is the savannah that you can see from the lobby observation areas. My logic on requesting a Jambo Savannah view on Arusha Savannah goes like this. I have stayed in a villa at Jambo, and I know that I like Kidani rooms better. If I didn't get an Arusha view villa, I would rather stay at Kidani. So, I usually just stay at Kidani.

If you have the time and interest keep checking on line daily (or more than once a day) to see what is available to consolidate your trip.

Since you have your own car, you can drive to you next resort early, many times if you are there right at 7am you can get a room earlier

I'd probably WL a savanna view studio at Kidani for 12/20 and an SSR studio for 12/21. Those both have a pretty high likelihood of coming through and would simplify your trip considerably. Kidani is a fantastic resort with one of the best restaurants at WDW on site -- Sanaa. It's fairly easy to get over to Jambo by shuttle, park bus or walking. The WDW bus service from Kidani to the theme parks is excellent.

Alternatively, you could WL a 1BR LV at BLT for 12/18-19 and 12/20, but that increases the point requirements quite a bit, so you may not be able to do it. Also, I think that a BLT WL at that time of the year is less likely to come through than Kidani or SSR.

We changes resorts twice on on recent trip (2 nights Jambo St, 4 nights BLT 2BR, 4 nights Kidani 2BR), and it was a bit of a drag moving that many times. We definitely lost valuable park and pool time. Christmas at WDW is a time to be taking in the beautiful decorations and activities at the parks and resorts.:santa: You don't want to potentially waste time in moving from one place to another, when you could be enjoying WDW.

Have a fantastic vacation!:thumbsup2

Best of luck! I think for this set up, I'd strategically pack for each stay. One bag of toiletries and an overnight bag dedicated to each stay. I'd worry about spending too much time re-packing and moving bags otherwise :)

I agree with disneynutz. I personally would wait list for one place for the whole trip. I would not like moving around and would prefer to stay in my second or third choice rather than split the stay.

If you don't want to stay at SSR then my guess is that OKW is your best bet for wait list coming through. Although there are others here who would be more knowledgeable about that.

That said, I hope you have a great trip regardless. I'd rather be at WDW and have to change rooms every day than not be at WDW.

I hear you on SSR. And I think you will have an awesome time no matter what. But I see that a 1 bedroom or a studio at SSR is available for the whole stay -- you might want to think about snagging one of those for the four nights of the 20, 21, 22, 23. Then you would only have to move once at WDW (then you'd still have your stopover at HHI if that's what you want).

I think Kidani is more likely to come through than BWV, so you may want to think about waitlisting that.

An OKW 1-bedroom or a studio is also available for all of the nights you plan to be at WDW except for one. There's probably a decent chance that one night would come through.

I hear you on SSR. And I think you will have an awesome time no matter what. But I see that a 1 bedroom or a studio at SSR is available for the whole stay -- you might want to think about snagging one of those for the four nights of the 20, 21, 22, 23. Then you would only have to move once at WDW (then you'd still have your stopover at HHI if that's what you want).

I think Kidani is more likely to come through than BWV, so you may want to think about waitlisting that.

An OKW 1-bedroom or a studio is also available for all of the nights you plan to be at WDW except for one. There's probably a decent chance that one night would come through.

Boy, if SSR was still available, I would do those 4 nights....then wait list something if you really did not want to stay there. This is because check out is 11, room not likely to be ready before 4, it is a busy time.

OK, you guys have given such great ideas and feedback! Here was my general schedule to illustrate the way I was planning on handling the resort transfers (for those of you with the kindness, patience, attention span, and love for Disney planning to review):

Dec 18: Arrive at AKL Kidani late afternoon, check in, explore, dinner at Jiko (walk to Jambo House)

Dec 19: Go to AK in AM, break in room, bus to Epcot, early dinner at Via Napoli to do Candelight Processional package (Matt was a big Battlestar Galactica fan, I'm hoping he enjoys this little surprise!)

Dec 20: Check out of AKL, go to Blizzard Beach in the AM (am I crazy to think that we'll want to do water parks in the winter?? This was Matt's favorite part last time). After Blizzard Beach, go to check in at BLT. Have lunch at The Wave, and do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party that night.

Dec 21: I have this as an open day, assuming we'll wander around the monorail, go to Magic Kingdom, Epcot a little. This would be the day that would be most annoying if we can't stay in the same room for both nights, I think. I have a California Grill ADR for 9:10 this night, can watch the fireworks during dinner!

Dec 22: Check out and go to Typhoon Lagoon. After Typhoon Lagoon, check in at SSR or (dreaming) BWV so that we can walk right to Epcot afterwards. (I'm hoping Fastpass Plus will be in effect at this point so that we can still enjoy Soarin' without having to be there first thing in the AM.) OR, if Matt is Epcot'ed out and BWV comes through, we could play mini golf at Fantasia Gardens and have dinner at Flying Fish Cafe.

Dec 23: If BWV comes through, walk to Hollywood Studios, see Osbourne Lights. (HBD reservation for dinner)

Dec 24: Check out of Christmas-time craziness at WDW, go to Hilton Head for quiet Christmas.

The reason I shared is that, I felt like by putting easy driveable attractions on check-out mornings (i.e. the water parks) I was making that transition a little easier--no driving directly to the new resort, and no parking in a less convenient park where we'd have to shuttle it. I also think that I planned activities that could keep us busy while we wait for a new room. Do you guys think this will work? Never visited WDW any time other than August, so this is all very new to me and my August WDW logic might be way off. I also figured that taking advantage of each location's park proximity and great restaurants could make it feel more relaxed and fun.

I generally like the rooms much better at Kidani than at Jambo. If you get a Sunset Savannah view at Kidani, it is the same savannah that you can see from Jambo. The two or three times that we stayed at Jambo DVC before Kidani opened, we actually had a Sunset Savannah view, and once a Uzima view. As a matter of fact, the last time we stayed and had a Sunset Savannah view at Kidani, we could see the room that we stayed in at Jambo. I think that you can see the animals better from Kidani. In all the times we stayed at AKL, before DVC and after, we have never had a room on Arusha savannah. I know that if you pay cash for a room, that those are more expensive. That is the savannah that you can see from the lobby observation areas. My logic on requesting a Jambo Savannah view on Arusha Savannah goes like this. I have stayed in a villa at Jambo, and I know that I like Kidani rooms better. If I didn't get an Arusha view villa, I would rather stay at Kidani. So, I usually just stay at Kidani.

Thanks so much for this information, I feel much better about Kidani over Jambo House now!! I think a lot of the photos out there show really new planting from years and years ago, and so I thought Kidani looked more bare than Jambo House. I'll definitely take your word for it that it's very nice! Is there any savannah in particular that I should request?

If you have the time and interest keep checking on line daily (or more than once a day) to see what is available to consolidate your trip.

Since you have your own car, you can drive to you next resort early, many times if you are there right at 7am you can get a room earlier

Good piece of advice! I don't know if Matt will want to wake up that early (and, because he hasn't drank the Kool-aid, I try to plan for him as much as I can bear), but this is great to know.

I'd probably WL a savanna view studio at Kidani for 12/20 and an SSR studio for 12/21. Those both have a pretty high likelihood of coming through and would simplify your trip considerably. Kidani is a fantastic resort with one of the best restaurants at WDW on site -- Sanaa. It's fairly easy to get over to Jambo by shuttle, park bus or walking. The WDW bus service from Kidani to the theme parks is excellent.

Alternatively, you could WL a 1BR LV at BLT for 12/18-19 and 12/20, but that increases the point requirements quite a bit, so you may not be able to do it. Also, I think that a BLT WL at that time of the year is less likely to come through than Kidani or SSR.

We changes resorts twice on on recent trip (2 nights Jambo St, 4 nights BLT 2BR, 4 nights Kidani 2BR), and it was a bit of a drag moving that many times. We definitely lost valuable park and pool time. Christmas at WDW is a time to be taking in the beautiful decorations and activities at the parks and resorts.:santa: You don't want to potentially waste time in moving from one place to another, when you could be enjoying WDW.

Have a fantastic vacation!:thumbsup2

Thanks for this idea! I hadn't thought to wait list at AKL for one more day. I'll have to give that more thought. BLT is hard to walk away from.

Best of luck! I think for this set up, I'd strategically pack for each stay. One bag of toiletries and an overnight bag dedicated to each stay. I'd worry about spending too much time re-packing and moving bags otherwise :)

I love this advice! That's the thing--I wonder if I'm overestimating our ability to just go with the flow of it. I figure that, if we had kids or were traveling with our grandmother this would be nightmarish, but as 2 young adults with a car, I kind of figured we could keep it light and simple. I'm going to have to think if I could pack and plan for this--maybe even keep the other stay packs in the car, etc., so we're really traveling light and taking in only what we need at each resort.

Yeah--the SSR option is available the whole stay, you are totally right... I just would love to try out new places! The busy-ness/shopping craziness of Downtown Disney made Matt's skin crawl last time we were there, so the proximity to there doesn't seem to be too attractive for a full stay. I'll look more carefully at OKW--I didn't see openings on 22 & 23, but I will play around a little more. I do think the 1-beds at OKW were a little high, but then again OBVIOUSLY the BLT ones are, too, so as long as I can rearrange to the 189 pts. everything would be good to go.

I agree with disneynutz. I personally would wait list for one place for the whole trip. I would not like moving around and would prefer to stay in my second or third choice rather than split the stay.

If you don't want to stay at SSR then my guess is that OKW is your best bet for wait list coming through. Although there are others here who would be more knowledgeable about that.

That said, I hope you have a great trip regardless. I'd rather be at WDW and have to change rooms every day than not be at WDW.

:) Thank you!!

Yeah--the SSR option is available the whole stay, you are totally right... I just would love to try out new places! The busy-ness/shopping craziness of Downtown Disney made Matt's skin crawl last time we were there, so the proximity to there doesn't seem to be too attractive for a full stay. I'll look more carefully at OKW--I didn't see openings on 22 & 23, but I will play around a little more. I do think the 1-beds at OKW were a little high, but then again OBVIOUSLY the BLT ones are, too, so as long as I can rearrange to the 189 pts. everything would be good to go.

:) Thank you!!

hey OP, what a whirlwind trip! I know SSR isn't your favourite but if you can not get it for the whole trip but even for the vast majority I really would just stay in one place, especially since the parks are busy that time of year and really it is a lot of work to do split stays and I am a fan of doing them! I did one trip with 3 resorts out of necessity but I'd not do that again unless I absolutely had to. We had 3 nights SSR (developer points so they had to be used at SSR at WDW) then 5 nights at Kidani and the final 2 nights at BLT.

What you may want to do is if you can get SSR for the duration book it and then you can have 2 active waitlists each for x number of nights in hopes of getting another resort. OKW has 18-21 and SSR 22&23 If so book there for the duration and waitlist your other favourite resorts. If you can keep the WDW portion of the vacation to 2 resorts it will be a much more peaceful vacation.

Whatever you do I hope you have a fantastic trip!

You will definitely want to have a "plan B" for your BB and TL days. It is often not warm enough for water activities at WDW in December. We got lucky last year with highs in the low to mid-80's from 12/1-12/9. We swam daily in the afternoon. But in 2010, that same week did not make it into the 60's and we didn't put on a swimsuit the entire time. If it is too cold, you could always drive around and check out the various resort decorations -- particularly GF.

You will definitely want to have a "plan B" for your BB and TL days. It is often not warm enough for water activities at WDW in December. We got lucky last year with highs in the low to mid-80's from 12/1-12/9. We swam daily in the afternoon. But in 2010, that same week did not make it into the 60's and we didn't put on a swimsuit the entire time. If it is too cold, you could always drive around and check out the various resort decorations -- particularly GF.

Thanks for this information! I like to think that we are hardy in our pursuit of a less crowded, watery activity, but I will definitely have back-up plans for those days!

hey OP, what a whirlwind trip! I know SSR isn't your favourite but if you can not get it for the whole trip but even for the vast majority I really would just stay in one place, especially since the parks are busy that time of year and really it is a lot of work to do split stays and I am a fan of doing them! I did one trip with 3 resorts out of necessity but I'd not do that again unless I absolutely had to. We had 3 nights SSR (developer points so they had to be used at SSR at WDW) then 5 nights at Kidani and the final 2 nights at BLT.

What you may want to do is if you can get SSR for the duration book it and then you can have 2 active waitlists each for x number of nights in hopes of getting another resort. OKW has 18-21 and SSR 22&23 If so book there for the duration and waitlist your other favourite resorts. If you can keep the WDW portion of the vacation to 2 resorts it will be a much more peaceful vacation.

Whatever you do I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Thank you!! Can I just ask you to clarify a little bit--are you suggesting that I book SSR for the full time and then use the W/L to try to get the full period each waitlist at a different resort? In that case, it would probably be good to try--which, OKW and AKL Kidani? I was just thinking that the W/L would be really unlikely to come through for such a long stay? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, though...

I will discuss this more with Matt tonight--I'm really grateful for everyone's advice on this since we've never done a split stay and I'm just imagining the best case scenario. (I doubt he will care, but it will be nice to see what he thinks. I'm sure you all with non-Disney nerd partners know what I mean.)

After reading your plans it seems like you do Disney commando style. If you don't plan to spend much time at the resort does it really matter where you stay?

Checking in to the resort late can reduce your chances of getting any room requests because assigned rooms tend to get switched out to guests who are face to face at the front desk.

I would suggest that you consider staying at the resorts that give you less moves and stay away from wait lists if you can or keep them to a minimum.

On another note have you considered being added to your parents account as an associate? That would give you reservation privileges for future stays and you could access their account legally.

After reading your plans it seems like you do Disney commando style. If you don't plan to spend much time at the resort does it really matter where you stay?

Checking in to the resort late can reduce your chances of getting any room requests because assigned rooms tend to get switched out to guests who are face to face at the front desk.

I would suggest that you consider staying at the resorts that give you less moves and stay away from wait lists if you can or keep them to a minimum.

Good point, I guess my plans do seem pretty darn commando, especially because it's such a short stay. I am trying to keep it more relaxed for Matt, but I guess it really doesn't seem that way.

I remember when we were there three years ago at POR we didn't spend a ton of time at the resort, but the nights we spent wandering around in the quiet, seeing random wildlife, swimming in the quiet pools when no one else was around--that was the time that we loved the most and remember the most, which is why I guess I'm trying to pick places that are fun to stay at. Aside from aesthetic preferences, I have lots of negative associations with SSR from stressful family trips from WDW-past. But I will do some more looking at SSR reviews and photos and think long and hard--this aversion might be really silly and waste a lot of time in the long run.

On another note have you considered being added to your parents account as an associate? That would give you reservation privileges for future stays and you could access their account legally.

What a great idea, I didn't know that was possible. Are there any disadvantages, aside from the lack of privacy from my parents' POV? I guess if my parents theoretically wanted to stop me now all they'd have to do is change the web password--when I call I identify myself honestly, so I always have my mom on the phone. (Not that I have an unstable relationship with my parents where they'd suddenly stop trusting me, but I just want to explain this option to them as fully as possible.)

It definitely makes sense for me to be added as an associate because I'll be the one researching and booking for them in the future, I'm sure. That way I can also monitor their account better to make sure that they don't forget to bank points or let points expire. Thanks for the tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter