First tattoo, age of DS, DD?

My dd was 21 when she got her first, 22 when she got her 2nd so I guess she'll be getting a 3rd one any time now.
I have no idea how long ago it was just sailors and bikers but I'm approaching 50 and when I was 18ish tattoos were very popular with my age group. I didn't hang around with sailors but I did know some bikers.

I am getting my next one when I hit my goal weight. I told my ODS that he could come with and get one, too. He is almost 17...so, if I buckle down, it could be before he is 18.

daughter got her first on her 18th birthday- moon and stars on her hip. Her next one was one we got matching tattoos of- it is a three star harry potter page symbol thing.

I got my first tattoo at 16 with parental permission. I graduated High School what feels like forever ago now, but it was not uncommon for people to start getting tattoos by 18.

I have made it a point to consider my kids' bodies their own. They are adults and can make their own decisions. I don't get the obsession with what other people do with piercings and ink and clothing. It's weird to be so obsessed with someone else's body parts. Kinda creepy if you ask me.

The question is - WHICH earring thread? OP posted the recent one AND one in 2006. So this has been bothering them for at least 15 years. 🤔
lol. Yes, but "it's what kids do these days". You know, a new trend, that was apparently also a totally new trend 15 years ago.

(I did read the old thread too. I thought it was odd how much people's responses had changed over the years.)

Well, my son gave himself his first tattoo when he was 6! :rotfl:

He was messing around at school and jabbed himself with a sharp pencil right under his eye, the doctor in the ER said that the mark might go away in a month or so but if it did not then it would likely be permanent. Almost 10 years later, it's still there!

As for me, I got mine when I was 19. It has faded quite a bit in the past *mumblemumble* years but since it is right in my cleavage between my boobs, there is no sagging and I can easily hide it by wearing a tee shirt.

I got a tattoo at 40... its not visible, and it marked a milestone in my life for me personally...

I am thinking about getting another one for my 60th birthday, something small... and most likely Disney related... and this one will be visible..

Neither my DD or my SIL have any tattoos...

My DH has 2 one on each arm...
Kind of, Thought waiting plenty of time until you really knew what ink you wanted, then? (unlike those who seem to rush into it).

This is what I was going to say as well. Just like the earring thread, I think this was a bigger thing 20+ years ago than it is now. My husband still often jokes that he doesn't know how we made it out of the 90s without a stupid tattoo (he does have piercings). Pretty much everyone we know who is our age has at least one tattoo.

All three of my siblings have a tattoo. My mom took them to ensure they went somewhere professional. Two of them were under 18. She figured it was better to take them when they needed parental permission than tell them "no" and have them run out and get something impulsively when they turned 18. My brother was planning to become a Catholic priest, so he has a religious tattoo on his upper arm where it can't be seen with regular clothing on. I'm sure that influenced my parents' decision and they would have been less likely to approve if it were just something random.

My kids (22, 17, 15) have no interest in tattoos at this time (but they do have some piercings). My older two are both artistic/free spirit types, but they have recognized how much their personal aesthetic, their art interests, and their clothing styles have changed over time so they are hesitant to do anything permanent and then not like it a year or two later.
I do understand why - the way you explain it - your mom would have wanted to have a bit of input when helping them with it. Thanks.

Neither of my daughters (who are 20-somethings) have any interest in tattoos. The nurse daughter really has an ick-factor about the process and says it's not completely safe.
he and his fellow camp staff did stick-and-pokes; like prison tats. {{shudder}}
Okay, IF one of my children were interested in a tattoo, I would be 1000% against a homemade stick-and-poke version. First because of safety concerns. Second because IF you're going to have this thing for a lifetime, it should be the best /more professional version available.

Last edited:
Kind of, Thought waiting plenty of time until you really knew what ink you wanted, then? (unlike those who seem to rush into it).

I never really thought about getting one when I was younger, it really wasn't something that I thought either way about. For me it was more about marking milestone birthday and a wonderful time in my life...it was something for me. If I decide to go ahead with the next one, it will be Disney related for sure, and visible... I have a couple of ideas...that I have been thinking about... still not sure, and until I am 100% on it, I will wait. DH has started wanting to tat over a small one on his arm, and do something bigger.

A friend of our's just retired, and he marked it with getting his first tattoo, a open book and it say "The Next Chapter" and the date of his retirement...It looks like a leather bound old book, the writing is in some sort of fancy old world script...

I never really thought about getting one when I was younger, it really wasn't something that I thought either way about. For me it was more about marking milestone birthday and a wonderful time in my life...it was something for me. If I decide to go ahead with the next one, it will be Disney related for sure, and visible... I have a couple of ideas...that I have been thinking about... still not sure, and until I am 100% on it, I will wait. DH has started wanting to tat over a small one on his arm, and do something bigger.

A friend of our's just retired, and he marked it with getting his first tattoo, a open book and it say "The Next Chapter" and the date of his retirement...It looks like a leather bound old book, the writing is in some sort of fancy old world script...
Sounds like both you and DH started small with ink but have been plucking up the courage to go bigger ... (while DD - and SIL - haven't been stirred to do it at all).

I didnt get my first tattoo until i was about 22, an irish love knot on the back of my neck. My son then got the same tattoo as his first, around 18. My daughter is 20 and wants to get one but is holding off because she wants to apply for the dcp and doesnt want it to ruin her chances (she wants it high up on the back of her neck, so not really covered by a shirt). Our joke now is that it is our "family crest".

I didnt get my first tattoo until i was about 22, an irish love knot on the back of my neck. My son then got the same tattoo as his first, around 18. My daughter is 20 and wants to get one but is holding off because she wants to apply for the dcp and doesnt want it to ruin her chances (she wants it high up on the back of her neck, so not really covered by a shirt). Our joke now is that it is our "family crest".
So did you foresee that your first ink would be having those consequences, some decades later? :)

My eldest DD got her first tattoo at 18 and she didn't even discuss it with us (it's Tinkerbell on her foot) my youngest DD got hers at age 27 (a Mickey head on her foot). Both girls want me to get a small - family - tattoo.... I"m thinking....
So ... DDs are still trying to persuade you? :)

Last edited:
So did you foresee that your first ink would be having those consequences, some decades later? :)

Haha! My son's was a little bit of a surprise, the love knot is quite tame in comparison to the tats he has now at 25 (navy man!). I also now have 5 in total so I dont mind tattoos at all. Whats funnier is my 13 yr old already making plans for hers 😵

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter