first time flyer...any tips??

katypop

DIS Veteran
hi,
we have always driven on vacations but are flying for the first time. are there any special tips we should know? we leave in 6 weeks and i'm getting a little nervous, it will just be my dd and myself. so far we have our plane tickets and seating assignments and ride to the airport booked. we have not booked a ride from airport to wdw yet, we should do this soon? also, i keep reading about curbside check-in for the trip home from orlando. can someone explain this to me please? as far as luggage goes i have found out the dimensions and weights allowed so will be okay i think, but am wondering about the carry-on. could my dd and i both carry a large purse and carry-on or are we limited to one bag each?

sorry for all the questions , i'm sure there's more that i just haven't thought of yet!!

katypop:)

Don't worry about flying, it is such an easy way to travel. I would always rather fly than take the long drive. I don't think you will have any trouble with both a purse and a carry-on. I have never done curb side check - in so I can't help you there. Have a nice trip.

The most important thing is to relax!!! :)

And, we always use curbside. Instead of going to the ticket counters, in the passenger drop off areas there are counters (outside) for each specific airline with skycaps working. They will ticket you luggage to your destination. Then, you go thru the airport to your gate, and check-in there. :)

Have a good time! :)

Curbside Check-in - at the curb where you enter the airport, they have people (skycaps) who will check your luggage for you right there instead of going inside. You give them your tickets & ID and they will printout the baggage tags & checks and take your luggage. I usually tip $1 per checked bag. The line is usually much shorter there than inside the terminal. Depending on the airline, they may also give you your boarding passes there, if not you get them at the gate. The boarding pass is what they take in addition to your ticket when you board the plane. You will have to show your ID when checking luggage, at the security checkpoint and at the gate when boarding. You can carry a purse and a carryon.

As far as transportation from the airport to WDW, the choices are cab, towncar or shuttle. The Mears shuttle is the cheapest, about $25 per person, but you will share a bus or van with others. My choice when not renting a car is Tiffany Town Car. It's about $80 roundtrip plus tip (total) for up to 5 people.

Have a great trip! :)

thank you everyone for the speedy replies! i wish i could relax, but i seem to be finding more to worry about by the minute!

katypop:)

As the pressure changes during the flight your ears may feel uncomfortable. Chewing gum helps to relieve the pressure.

thanks Margie J, that's something i hadn't thought of worrying about yet!! i will add gum to my list!

katypop
:)

As a frequent but nervous flyer, I find that it helps to keep myself busy. The two best items for this (besides a book) are a portable CD player and a little handheld Yahtzee game.
You didn't mention your DD's age, but if she is a teenager, you might want to request an exit row to get some extra legroom. I'm not sure of the minimum age requirement, but I think it's around 16. You cannot request this until you get to the airport. Hubby and I try to get there early and check in at the baggage counter rather than the gate because we can do that earlier. We are successful about 80 percent of the time.
We take a towncar from Happy Limo and typically book about a month in advance. We prefer doing that rather than a shuttle (cattle call!) or driving a rental car.
Good luck and have a safe flight!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Check your flight (can do it on the web). Airlines always make schedule changes. Your times may change or you could even be changed to a different flight.
Lost luggage is more an issue for comedians than for most travelers. That said make sure you carry on items you can't live without (medicines) and items you may need if you have your luggage stored because your room isn't ready yet (bathing suits).
Airlines have all but eliminated meals. You might bring some food (sandwiches).

Congratulations on your first flight.

Definitely bring some stuff to keep busy. DH and I have a mini connect four game and about six of those Yes/No books with the special pens. I never leave home without a good book to make the time pass by. Also, the gum thing used to work great for me...but no more. If you have sensitive ears or get head colds, you might want to try taking two sudafed about 30 minutes before take-off. This trick has saved my life. I used to get a cold every time I got on a plane from all the recycled air. Not to mention an ear ache.

Here is a great idea I got off of these boards a while ago. Your DD will be so excited on the plane about going to see Mickey. Pick up a few Disney items before your trip to give her as presents on the flight. You can usually find some great inexpensive Disney items at a Walmart or K-Mart. This will help the time pass for both of you during the flight. Personally, I'd go for a coloring book or something else to keep her busy. Plus maybe a t-shirt to wear on the trip. Much cheaper than the souvinirs at WDW.

Have fun!

thanks everyone for all the great tips. i should have mentioned my dd is 21, so the colouring book idea (while a great idea for little ones) probably won't excite her!LOL:) the cd idea is good except i'm quite sure dd would'nt share with me and then i'd have no one to chat with!

i have thought of another thing to worry about, i was checking my luggage and only have one case that will lock, do i need to worry about leaving bags unlocked if i make sure nothing really valuable is in them??

thanks again :)
katypop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter