First time on Fantasy report

Travel60

DIS Veteran
Even though we are platinum and have 13-14 cruises under our belts, we just did our first "non-classic" sailing. We have not avoided the newer ships, it's just the itineraries we have been interested in have been on the Magic or Wonder. We sailed the Fantasy 7 night to Tortola and St. Thomas with a stop in CC. So my review is partly about the difference in the ships.

Beautiful, glitzy! layout similar to classics makes it easy to get around. Our family balcony cabin seemed bigger. I like the little round shower and bigger dresser/desk area. The adult swim area is larger. I like Satellite Falls area because the "throw a towel over a chair at 7 am to save it all day" crowd don't seem to have found it. What a great way to make use of the area around the communication satellites!

BUT

*Who thought it was a good idea to put the photo sales area in the prime space of the upper atrium, taking away seating and blocking the walkway?

*What is that lumpy tunnel of toilet rooms leading back from Piazza to Tube? Someone told us that it's supposed to be reminiscent of Gaudi's La Familia Sagrada but I've been there and didn't see anything like that.

*The Piazza is supposed to mimic the street life of Italy but the bar is loud - glasses clinking, blenders whirring, the bar door going "thwack-thwack" everytime a bartender goes in or out, people walking through talking......I feel sorry for anyone trying to perform there. The two or three we tried to listen to were drowned out.

*Speaking of performances, there were 3 Disney live musicals - all excellent. There was a good juggler and a good ventriloquist. Other than that the entertainment was lacking. Perhaps someone cancelled at the last minute and they couldn't get a replacement - we tried Piazza and Ooh, La, La and the atrium. Mostly busts. When comparing DCL to other cruise lines, it has always been entertainment that made DCL stand out. Not this trip. Pretty weak. I hope this is not a new trend.

*Who thought putting the aft stairs/elevators in the middle of Cabanas was a good idea? The midship elevator is very far forward but to avoid the gauntlet of Cabanas, we walked up there to take the stairs down then walked back to our aft rooms.

*Dining - the food was fine, the dining room decor good. But the rest was below expectation. The wait staff seemed harried and hurried - like they had too many tables. In the past, we've had time to chit-chat, learn about their families or home. This trip, they just wanted to get the food on the tables and run. Even Palo seemed less refined than in the past.

*Dining Rooms - too loud. Maybe because there are more people but also because the waiters rushing to serve are clanging covers, plates, glasses so everyone talks louder. Animators Palette was especially bad. Perhaps some fabric incorporated into the designs would absorb some of the sound. For example, in Animators, a ruffled fabric strip around the ceiling mimicing the film strip edging or, in the Royal Court, gold bunting around the outer circle of the room and again around the inner circle would fit the theme and absorb noise. Maybe some "tie back" fabric panels marking each of the seating areas. Has anyone considered that rather than making the dining rooms bigger, there be a fourth MDR and go to a four night rotation?

*There often was not a lot for adults to do on sea days other than drink tastings, BINGO, shopping events. Things we don't enjoy. Money makers. Would love light talks on Disney related topics, the parks, the ships. The talk by the Broadway guest was interesting. Trivia was fun.

Will I go on another Fantasy cruise? Yes, if I like the itinerary and my grandkids want to go. But, I prefer smaller ships.

So, I've likely stepped on some toes.....fire away....

I think you have made some good points.
I can't argue about anything you have brought up since we have only been on the Fantasy once as well as only once on the Wonder and cannot remember that much about the ships other than they are similar to the Dream for the Fantasy and the Magic for the Wonder. We have generally sailed the dream and the Magic.

As for entertainment, I have also thought they were lacking there when they didn't have the main shows scheduled.
However, we are fresh off the Magic and one night they had a ventriloquist that was fantastic!! Actually enjoyed him more than I thought I would.

I've heard the Fantasy is starting to show some age and is in need of a dry dock. And she doesn't have very creative itineraries. For 12 straight years, she's basically done the same cruises over and over and over. Certainly don't think she's a bad ship but I might wait until after the dry dock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter