First time to Aulani. First time to Hawaii!

Mackysmycat

DisneyDreamer
We are heading to our home resort here in November. We haven't been yet, and we've never been to Hawaii. We will be there for 11 nights. Will we be bored if we are just planning on hanging at the resort? or should we be booking excursions and going Island hopping and all that jazz.......

Also - we want to go to Pearl Harbor. Can we just go there and tour stuff on our own? Is there a fee? Do we have to book a tour and pay? And do we do all of this before hand or when we are there?

We're going to Aulani for the first time next month, but we have been to Oahu before. I'd definitely rent a car for at least part of your trip so you can see other parts of the island. Or use the excursions through Disney if that's what you prefer.

In terms of Pearl Harbor, I went online and purchased times tickets for the Arizona a couple of months ago because people were reporting that there was no availability if you just showed up, or that they had to wait hours for their tour time. It's something like $1.50 to reserve a ticket online. Not sure you'd have trouble just showing up in November, since it's a slower month, but personally I wouldn't risk it. You can get tickets to the USS Missouri and museum and submarine once you are there (there are some BOGO coupons in the Entertanment Book, so it might be worth purchasing that if they are still available).

In terms of island hopping, if you plan to make Aulani your home base for the whole time and you'd just want to go to another island for the day, I probably wouldn't go through the time and expense. We're doing 5 nights at Aulani and 5 nights on Kauai. Last trip we did 4 nights on Oahu and 3 on the Big Island. Personally, if I were going to island hop, I'd do it for more than a day. But if you look through the threads, there are people who do it.

We're going to Aulani for the first time next month, but we have been to Oahu before. I'd definitely rent a car for at least part of your trip so you can see other parts of the island. Or use the excursions through Disney if that's what you prefer.
Would it just make more sense to get a rental at the airport in Honolulu and drive to the resort and then drive it back after the 11 days, even if we only use it a few times to go shopping or check out other parts of the Island?

As for Pearl Harbor, so there isn't anything that you can just go there and explore on your own for free? We have to buy tickets? And only $1.50 for tickets or to RESERVE them online? I'm confused about what all is there and what tickets I should be buying. :(

If it wasn't our first time to Hawaii, and if we weren't staying at the Aulani resort, but rather a condo, I can totally see us wanting to do more island hopping. This trip is mostly to relax and get to know our new home resort. And get a feel for Hawaii, as we'll probably be going there often.

Oahu is a great island and has a lot to offer. With 11 nights I would most certainly take time to explore: Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head Hike, North Shore, etc.

Would it just make more sense to get a rental at the airport in Honolulu and drive to the resort and then drive it back after the 11 days, even if we only use it a few times to go shopping or check out other parts of the Island?

As for Pearl Harbor, so there isn't anything that you can just go there and explore on your own for free? We have to buy tickets? And only $1.50 for tickets or to RESERVE them online? I'm confused about what all is there and what tickets I should be buying. :(

If it wasn't our first time to Hawaii, and if we weren't staying at the Aulani resort, but rather a condo, I can totally see us wanting to do more island hopping. This trip is mostly to relax and get to know our new home resort. And get a feel for Hawaii, as we'll probably be going there often.

I went to Hawaii for the first time in the summer of 2012 and stayed at Aulani for 8 nights. I rented at car at Aulani(Alamo Car Rental) for three days to sightsee. I did Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Bishop Museum, Honolulu Museum of Art & Spalding House(same ticket), and 'Iolani Palace. The only Aulani excursion I did was the PCC(Polynesian Cultural Center) one because I didn't want to drive the hour back late at night. We stopped at the Dole Plantation(30-45 min) and North Shore(5 min) on the way to the PCC.

I didn't buy my Pearl Harbor ticket online. I got there about 9 am one morning and they were passing out tickets for 12:30 to the Arizona Memorial at that time. The Arizona Memorial is free, but you need a timed ticket to enter. I used the other time to go see the USS Bowfin and Battleship Missouri. Both are self guided tours(you can get a guided one of the Missouri included in your ticket price). There are also some exhibits that are free near where they show the video for the Arizona.

Even with the 8 nights, I still didn't have enough time to do everything I wanted to. Aulani has so many free activities to do(art tours, hula dancing, etc.) that I can't wait to go back to see and do more things.

You will need to price what a rental car will run you for 11 days from the airport to see if you would be better off just renting it for the days you want it from the resort. There is an ABC store across the street from Aulani where you can buy just about everything you would want(food, alcohol, water, prepared food, souvenirs) and a store in Aulani that has some of the same things. I found the prices similar. I know a lot of people go to Kapolei(the next town over) to buy things from Costco and the other stores there. You have a lot of options.

Since this will be your first trip to Aulani and Hawaii, I think you'll find lots of things to keep you busy. The resort itself has many amenities to occupy your time: the Rainbow Reef Snorkling, the Lazy River, the water slides, the pools, and the lagoon, not to mention the spa. You can book excursions at Aulani that will take to all over Oahu, including Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, and Diamond Head. Aulani also offers a for-pay shuttle that will take you to a couple of the major shopping areas. More details about the Aulani excursions can be found on the official Aulani website under the Activities tab.

If you are going to be on Oahu for 11 nights, I strongly recommend you look into renting a car. Renting a car might save you money in the long run. Transportation costs between Aulani and Honolulu airport via taxi or shuttle will run $50-$75 each way, so a rental car could save you a bit. Also, with a rental car you can drive to the nearby SuperTarget and other stores to get groceries, drinks, snacks, etc, or drive to restaurants that are cheaper than the resort restaurants. Plus, with a car you explore Oahu at your own pace.

There is no charge to visit Pearl Harbor (which has the WWII Valor in the Pacific Museum and other exhibits. However, there is a small fee charged by the National Park Service if you want to tour the Arizona Memorial. You can book tickets ahead of time via the NPS website. There is also a fee if you want to visit the USS Missouri. If you book a Pearl Harbor excursion through Aulani or another tour company, then these additional fees are included in the excursion.

There are many, many things to see and do on Oahu. There are so many things to see and do that I think your 11 days will go by very quickly. Eventually, you'll want to visit the other islands, but I would save them for future trips. Like Oahu, there are so many things to see and do on the other islands that its best to plan at least 3-4 days on each island.

Good luck, and e komo mai!

I found where to book the Pearl Harbor tickets before I even saw your helpful reply - thank you!!

Eventually, you'll want to visit the other islands, but I would save them for future trips.
Exactly!

Thanks for your great help and info :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter