FIRST TIME TO CAPE CARD.

FtW Mike

DIS Veteran
Lucille and I just came home from our 1st trip to Cape Cod. My sister, as well as my Aunt and Uncle have had a place there for years but work and life have kept us from going. We are not fans of the beach, So a trip to a narrow peninsula was never a priority.
Last year at a family function my Uncle cornered me and invitold me that he and my Aunt really wanted us to come and visit.
A little backround information is in order. This invitoldtion came from my Uncle John. Not only is he my Uncle, he is my God Father and in my early youth my hero. If he told me something, it was GOSPEL. Like , Nuns wear habits as they have Purple Feathers instead of hair. He proved it by having his sister , the Sister reveal a large purple feather. He also served in the Original DARBY'S RANGERS. A amazing feat for a 1st grader. That is just a small example of how remarkable he is. During the early years of their marriage when they went camping I was brought along and I still treasure the memories of those times.
After getting home I began looking a campground. Choices on Cape Cod slim. Based on where my sister's house is we chose the Sun Resort in Dennis Port. Well that, and they offer a very nice veterans discount.
Monday 5 June we pulled out of the driveway and were on our way. Going straight thru at 460 miles is bit too far for me. Midway would be somewhere in Southern Connecticut and campgrounds near I 95 there are a rare commodity. Mystic at 325 miles from home is within my preferred limit so booked the Sun resort there. It was a choice between here and the Mystic KOA. The Veterans discount won as all other factors were equal, on their face.
The trip up was good and uneventful until we got 20 miles into CT. There was roadwork ahead that was in the process of shutting down for the day. We slow rolled for the next 20 miles or so. We tried to enter the CG's address into our GPS during this phase of the trip and found it isn't recognized. I pulled into a rest stop and called them. They gave me some decent directions and we continued on. We arrived about 20 after 5 and after securing out welcome packet went to our designated site, # 67.
The sites are all a nice size. From my observation all are packed dirt and gravel. There are enough trees to give most some shade. Pull thru sites are Buddy Sites, and it looks like if you are solo and they have availiblity they will leave an empty site or 2 between neighbors. Only thing i didn't count on was they require you to use Dump Stations. There are no Sewer hook ups. Apparently this CG is built on what was once a quarry and sewer lines are not practical. The CS/ Laundry is between the Dog Park and communal Pavillion all of which are nicely maintained

Last edited:
Lucille and I just came home from our 1st trip to Cape Cod. My sister, as well as my Aunt and Uncle have had a place there for years but work and life have kept us from going. We are not fans of the beach, So a trip to a narrow peninsula was never a priority.
Last year at a family function my Uncle cornered me and invitold me that he and my Aunt really wanted us to come and visit.
A little backround information is in order. This invitoldtion came from my Uncle John. Not only is he my Uncle, he is my God Father and in my early youth my hero. If he told me something, it was GOSPEL. Like , Nuns wear habits as they have Purple Feathers instead of hair. He proved it by having his sister , the Sister reveal a large purple feather. He also served in the Original DARBY'S RANGERS. A amazing feat for a 1st grader. That is just a small example of how remarkable he is. During the early years of their marriage when they went camping I was brought along and I still treasure the memories of those times.
After getting home I began looking a campground. Choices on Cape Cod slim. Based on where my sister's house is we chose the Sun Resort in Dennis Port. Well that, and they offer a very nice veterans discount.
Monday 5 June we pulled out of the driveway and were on 20 miles our way. Going straight thru at 460 miles is bit too far for me. Midway would be somewhere in Southern Connecticut and campgrounds near I 95 there are a rare commodity. Mystic at 325 miles from home is within my preferred limit so booked the Sun resort there. It was a choice between here and the Mystic KOA. The Veterans discount won as all other factors were equal, on their face.
The trip up was good and uneventful until we got 20 miles into CT. There was roadwork ahead that was in the process of shutting down for the day. We slow rolled for the next 20 miles or so. We tried to enter the CG's address into our GPS during this phase of the trip and found it isn't recognized. I pulled into a rest stop and called them. They gave me some decent directions and we continued on. We arrived about 20 after 5 and after securing out welcome packet went to our designated site, # 67.
The sites are all a nice size. From my observation all are packed dirt and gravel. There are enough trees to give most some shade. Pull thru sites are Buddy Sites, and it looks like if you are solo and they have availiblity they will leave an empty site or 2 between neighbors. Only thing i didn't count on was they require you to use Dump Stations. There are no Sewer hook ups. Apparently this CG is built on what was once a quarry and sewer lines are not practical. The CS/ Laundry is between the Dog Park and communal Pavillion all of which are nicely maintained
Have stayed there for weekends several times. Nice enough as you describe…. We also do the KOA as more stuff with kids. Curious to hear more of your experience as we go to Cape Cod for a week every year (stay in Eastham in a rental cottage/house). We do like the beach, but I also really love Cape Cod history, both human and geological!

Have stayed there for weekends several times. Nice enough as you describe…. We also do the KOA as more stuff with kids. Curious to hear more of your experience as we go to Cape Cod for a week every year (stay in Eastham in a rental cottage/house). We do like the beach, but I also really love Cape Cod history, both human and geological!
Jim we found Mystic Sun very nice. A good place for a quiet 2 or 3 night stop. It was very convenient to some of the local attractions and restaurants.

Here are some pics from this CG
Resized_20230606_101651.jpgResized_20230606_101700.jpg
These are some of the Pull Thru sites. Beyond them are sites backin sites with mostly seasonal guests.
Resized_20230606_101726.jpg
This is the Dog Park with some of the Back in Sites behind it
Resized_20230606_101742.jpg
Again the Dog Park. Missy Wide load coming to me and SKY in the center. That is the CS/Laundry and Pavillion beyond the Bark Park

We stayed an extra day hoping to visit the Submariners Museum in nearby Groton but found out just before we left it closed on Tuesdays.
As a second choice we considered going to Seaport Museum but Lucille's back wasn't up to it. We did hit hit the Gift Shop and found some great books. Going back to take care of the Girls we found this little gem of decorations.
Resized_20230606_145118.jpgResized_20230606_145124.jpgResized_20230606_145129.jpgResized_20230606_145134.jpg

We went back into Mystic to eat after taking care of the Girls. But first we hit a shopping complex near the Mystic Aquarium. We checked out some of the more unique shops and made a few purchases. Getting from Decadent Donuts , is a mistake we won't soon be repeating. Did look in at MYSTIC PIZZA . Julia Roberts notable absence was our cue to look elsewhere for dinner . We opted to try MARINERS . An extremely good choice.

The next day we were off to Cape Card as one of my nieces used to call it. First was to get fuel. Good Sam trip planning said the Pilot station down the road also had a gas station but we found a SHELL station instead. Happily we found a CITGO on the other side of 95 with pumps parallel to the road so I took advantage it and filled up.
The drive over took a touch over 3 hours . Rest stops and Parking areas are few and far between on the way to the cape via I 95 and 195. So stopping wasn.t really an option.

We were booked into the Sun Resort in Dennis Port. Our overall impression is, this property more a long term lease resort with a few transient sites. For us it worked. My sister and my Aunt and Uncle are both in Chatham just 10 to 20 minutes away. Amenities here are few. n't You do get access to the Beach across the street. You can borrow corn hole stations, play mini golf and access the rec hall/arcade. They also host a variety of activities on weekends .
After doing my basic set up and finding the Dog Park with the Girls I checked in with my Aunt and Uncle and were advised turning down their invitation to dinner was not an option we set a time and got their address.

We stayed an extra day hoping to visit the Submariners Museum in nearby Groton but found out just before we left it closed on Tuesdays.
Even though I’ve lived here since 2005, we actually just went to the museum in Groton for first time this past Friday. My younger son loves military history, old ships, etc, so a chance to visit the first US Navy commissioned nuclear powered submarine was a must after all this time. Will be back, a nice museum. We got a bonus as a WW2 veteran who served aboard the submarine USS Spearfish was there with his wife (who also served) telling about his experiences. The emotion he showed when talking about the moment he and his crew mates realized the war was over really washed over me. An awesome experience. Got to shake this hero’s hand and say thank you.
Sorry you were trying on the closed day.

We ate at Mystic Pizza for lunch break… it’s not bad, kids enjoy it so we go when in the area.

Last edited:
Even though I’ve lived here since 2005, we actually just went to the museum in Groton for first time this past Friday. My younger son loves military history, old ships, etc, so a chance to visit the first US Navy commissioned nuclear powered submarine was a must after all this time. Will be back, a nice museum. We got a bonus as a WW2 veteran who served aboard the submarine USS Spearfish was there with his wife (who also served) telling about his experiences. The emotion he showed when talking about the moment he and his crew mates realized the war was over really washed over me. An awesome experience. Got to shake this hero’s hand and say thank you.
Sorry you were trying on the closed day.

We ate at Mystic Pizza for lunch break… it’s not bad, kids enjoy it so we go when in the area.
We stayed at St Mary's KOA in Ga. last year based on reports provided by SJM 1199 and did Sub Museum there last year. Small but informative.
As we looked around I came across a Photo of Pres. Bush and the Officers and crew of the boat that rescued him after he was shot down during WW II. My wife and curator wondered why I was crying. Had to tell them about a friend of my dad and myself that almost flew as his gunner that day. We also got the patches for the 3 boats our neighbor served on. If you stop on way down to Ft. W or camp Grandma and Grandpa's Driveway it is worth a stop.
Back in the 60's I did the Groton Museum and tour with the Cub Scouts and all I really remember was the Sub Walk thru. As a Veteran I respect all those who put the uniform on. It takes a special combination of Bravery and Crazy to serve on a sub IMHO. But there are those who say that those of us that believe coming down in the same fixed wing aircraft you went in is an unnatural act.
Going back to Mystic in October and made sure we have time to visit. Hoping Lucille's back feels good enough for walking the Seaport Museum as well

As I previously indicated this property is approx. 90% long term renters. The following Pictures while not a complete representation of the resort they do provide example of how most sites are set upResized_20230608_093251.jpgResized_20230608_093248.jpgResized_20230608_093255.jpg

If you go there and intend to use the Dog Park, I recommend you exercise extreme caution if you take North Loop to get there. At the end, just in front of the DP the site owner has an extremely vicious animal guarding the property. I took to using Paula Loop to get there to avoid agitating him and upsetting the Girls. Worse yet he only posted 1 warning sign.
Resized_20230609_074432.jpg

Our site very basic set up.
Resized_20230609_114830.jpg

When we first talked with my Aunt about coming she insisted we stay with them. She was disappointed that we declined that offer. Even the offer that we bring the RV to their property. Happily my sister Reenie filled them in that Sky and Katie have the manners of GOATS and that is derogatory to the GOATS. I also had to let them know that as their Fiona believes the golf cart they use to get around the property is hers , Katie might have other ideas.
The drive to their place told me I made the right decision for a 1st time visit. Some of the roads off the main roads are very narrow and had a few low hanging branches. Plus the fact that only half the gate to their driveway opens it would have been a super tight squeeze.

Our second day was my sister Reenie's birthday. When I called to wish her a HAPPY BITHDAY she insisted we meet up and she would give us a tour of The Cape. We met up a few hours later and she she pulled her CAPE Car a 2004 VW Bug Convertible out of the garage to ride around in. Good thing we brought our Sweat Shirts as she had the top down and the temps were in the mid 60's. I have to say they have some nice beaches that they can use. The shops along Main Street ( Mass 28 ) are mostly Mom and Pops with very few Larger Chain stores hard to find.
After showing us in Daylight the road to take to get to the Aunt and Uncles we turned around and she pulled over so I could get some Pics Of the Chatham Coast Guard Station and Light House.
Resized_20230608_145338.jpg
The light actually works . I found it was great landmark for navigating back to Main Street for return trips to where we were staying.
Resized_20230608_145333.jpg
From here it was up to the Chatham Fish Pier. According to Reenie this is where Local boats come to load up to go out and into to unload. There is also a fish market that doubles as diner. You can order from the board or ask to have some of what is in the display case cooked ( Fried, baked, or broiled. ) As it was late in the afternoon we all ordered something. My sister introduced me to a mixed Lobster Bisque with New England Clam Chowder . I am now a fan. As it was getting late we ended the tour here and went back to her place. We had a great visit for the day. She laid out the plans for the weekend and updated us on who else was coming.
Resized_20230608_152320.jpg
This statue is at the entrance to the pier.
Resized_20230608_151723.jpgResized_20230608_151729.jpg
The Market. Go in side place your order and when done they call you to the windows for pick up.

Attachments

• Resized_20230608_145333.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230608_151723.jpg
    Resized_20230608_151723.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230608_145333.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
Our second day was my sister Reenie's birthday. When I called to wish her a HAPPY BITHDAY she insisted we meet up and she would give us a tour of The Cape. We met up a few hours later and she she pulled her CAPE Car a 2004 VW Bug Convertible out of the garage to ride around in. Good thing we brought our Sweat Shirts as she had the top down and the temps were in the mid 60's. I have to say they have some nice beaches that they can use. The shops along Main Street ( Mass 28 ) are mostly Mom and Pops with very few Larger Chain stores hard to find.
After showing us in Daylight the road to take to get to the Aunt and Uncles we turned around and she pulled over so I could get some Pics Of the Chatham Coast Guard Station and Light House.
View attachment 769658
The light actually works . I found it was great landmark for navigating back to Main Street for return trips to where we were staying.
View attachment 769659
From here it was up to the Chatham Fish Pier. According to Reenie this is where Local boats come to load up to go out and into to unload. There is also a fish market that doubles as diner. You can order from the board or ask to have some of what is in the display case cooked ( Fried, baked, or broiled. ) As it was late in the afternoon we all ordered something. My sister introduced me to a mixed Lobster Bisque with New England Clam Chowder . I am now a fan. As it was getting late we ended the tour here and went back to her place. We had a great visit for the day. She laid out the plans for the weekend and updated us on who else was coming.
View attachment 769661
This statue is at the entrance to the pier.
View attachment 769662View attachment 769667
The Market. Go in side place your order and when done they call you to the windows for pick up.
The Pier, Chatham Lighthouse, shops on the main drag… all must dos each time we go… your report has me getting excited for our end of July trip there! Fun to watch someone else seeing it for first time!

Some quick things I forgot.
Just off shore from the Fish Market there is a Barrier Island a with a major sand bar in front of it. This is a major congregating location for a large number of the seals that have been summering at Cape Cod for the last few years. While too far out for the camera in my phone I could see between 6 and 12 of them bobbing up and down at the bar.
While we were driving around Reenie told us that Nicole Kidman was in the area filming a movie. In fact the Chatham Town Hall bore a sign stating it is the Nantucket Town Hall and the local Liquor Store is being represented as the Nantucket Police Station.

Cape Cod is one of my favourite places in the world. I am not a sunbather but I love walking along the coastline. Delicious lobster. Pity about the sharks!

Last edited:
Friday was our third day on The Cape. Lucille and I decided over breakfast to take it easy today and check out some of the sites Reenie had pointed out to us on our own. The 1st place wanted to hit we knew as The Schoolhouse Ice Cream Shop. My niece had worked here several summers and the rest of my family always raved about it. We Passed it several times not knowing it had been re-named Short and Sweet. Didn't go till Monday. Next up was the Christmas Shop. Happily my sister was just down the road as we both needed a potty stop when we left there. We ended up spending most of the afternoon there as Jay, Reenie's husband , Bernadette and Joe, Our other sister and her husband, and the Baby of the family Brother Terry were all there. Best part was, Reenie told us how to get to the local Shaw's Star Supermarket. We needed a few staples. As we walked around I discovered they carried CARVEL CAKES. They just happen to be the Official Birthday cake in our family.

Saturday was the day we collectively assembled to celebrate Reenie's Birthday. After taking care of things were we are I was sent out to secure pies for desert. Marion's Pie Shop is near Reenie's and she had said they make great pies. Apple and Blue Berry are favorites for us so I ordered 1 of each. Yes I said ordered. They had not come out of the ovens yet but would be later provided we picked them up by 4pm. I did pick up some of their Turnovers, Raspberry. Lemon. and Blueberry. They were OK but I will try WOOLFIES next trip.
When we got to Reenie and Jay's we were early. Jay got sent out for Ice Cream behind my back. My sister was not happy he came back with Prepackaged varieties. She was happy we brought along our Fort Wilderness Directors chairs.
My Aunt Patty and Uncle John arrived next. Uncle John wanted to know what happened to the Winnie Bunker. Apparently one of the dogs had a spot that when she was on the cape would spend much of her time, digging a hole in the middle of the yard. No matter how often Jay filled it in. He also chided Lucille and I for wearing our sweatshirts on an overcast 62 degree windy day. That all stopped when Aunt Patty got cold and I gave her my 50 year Jacket. He went to the car and came back with her Sweater and his sailing wind breaker.
Bernie is the best cook in our group and Reenie wanted Chicken Parm. for dinner She made enough for everyone to bring home dinner for the net day. Reenie and Jay are very close to their Neighbors who also came . Some of the stories being told around the table had obviously never been heard on the cape before. The Secret of BIRTHDAY CAVEL CAKES was particularly revealing for them. We had a great time and plenty of laughs all the way around. Mostly when we came out with the CARVEL CAKE and sang the Little Rascals version for Reenie.

Sunday we wanted to keep things quiet so we invited my brother and sisters to join us for lunch. Everyone said they wanted the typical Burgers and dogs we had as kids on family camping trips. So that was the menu. Well we did add the standard summer salads, ie Potato, Macaroni, and Cole Slaw. The Girls enjoyed meeting their Aunt's again and Uncle Terry for the 1st time. The couple in the site next to us heard us laughing and carrying on, and walked over to see what the fun was. Terry proudly announced we are a family of Amadorns (Gaelic for idiots) and are simple acting like we do as a collective. I don't they understood.
After we were done eating we took a walk so they could see the resort. When we got to the front They all wanted to take a walk on the beach. It was a tad too breezy for me and the smell of Seaweed was very strong. We did find The Sailing Cow Cafe when we exited the beach east of where we entered. The Breakfast special at $5.95 was interesting enough that Lucille and I would later decide to try it for dinner. We got back to the resort and entered via the vehicle exit. Terry saw the Mini Golf Course and just had to play. So the Ladies went back while Terry and I went inside to get clubs and balls. My Brother proclaimed before we got to hole 1 he had won. It was neck and neck till the last hole. He won as my ball kept bouncing back to me instead of traveling down the down the ramp to the you missed the target hole and this game is over hole. Before they left we arranged a time to meet again later for the Chatham Anglers season home opener.
The Anglers are part of the Cape Cod League. All the players in the league College Baseball Players from across the country. This is a great opportunity for them as pro scouts are at all the games. For the Angler's at least, the Players live with local residents. At various times they hold Clinics. Where they work the local kids on fundamentals of the game.
We met at Reenies as she has a Secret Parking area for when they go to games. My Aunt and Uncle would meet us at the game as they were going out to eat with my cousin Liz and her husband who were coming in from Minnesota. Liz and my Aunt Patty decided to forgo the game as they were both tired. Bernie and Joe were on their way back to Long Island. So our little band was some what reduced.
The game was the Anglers vs The Brewster White Caps. Entry to the parks is free. Apparently funding comes from Merchandise and concession sales along with 50/50 at every game and donations. We bought some tickets for the 50/50 but the fix was in all the winners were on the Brewster dugout side. The game ended in Tie.

At this point I need to apologize to everyone and one of our more prominent members about the lack of photos as of late and for the remainder if this narrative . Most of my family is in or needs to be in the Witless Protection Program or Eejits Anonymous and thus posting photos of them is a subject I didn't want to bring up.

I mentioned the Sailing Cow Cafe earlier. Lucille and I decided to give them a try for dinner Sunday. Just a bit better than diner fare in my opinion. Next time we will likely try breakfast or Lunch.
Before leaving the game Sunday Lucille and I set a time to go over and visit with Uncle John the next day.
Monday morning we did our normal routine before heading out for a little exploration. We found a few shops in the Bass River township that Lucille wanted to check out. As we don't decorate in a Nautical Theme while the shops were fun to browse in , purchases were very limited. Then we headed back to Chatham for visiting. We got caught on the 1 road that leads to my Aunt's Complex for filming of the Nicole Kidman's Movie. No we didn't see her or anyone else in the cast . All we saw was the giant camera drone they used. We only sat for like 5 min before being allowed to pass.
As we arrived Liz and Jeff were preparing to test the New electric Bikes have. Lucille and I chose to spend the time with Patty and John. It was a good time. My Uncle pointed out where come July he will go down to shore line and dig for clams. We also relived more of the adventures we shared. As we need to feed and walk the girls we prepared to leave around 4 pm. My Aunt and Cousin who had returned insisted we come back for dinner. Lucille said yes and we agreed to be back at 6.
We had discovered the name of the now infamous Ice Cream shop . SHORT AND SWEET. We had passed it every time we went into or Thru Chatham. On our return we stopped and got some Vanilla, some Chocolate, and Some Heath Bar Crunch. for dessert. Dinner was a great time. Liz heard stories of her parents past that are not suitable for public disclosure. Like how her father had dropped out of the 1st grade to Join DARBY'S RANGERS in WW II. In truth so did Lucille.
Liz and Jeff had rented an RV for a family trip some time in the past and Jeff was very interested in seeing ours. So we invited everyone of the offficial Lunch of the camping trips we had shared years earlier ie Tube Steaks ,the next day.

Tuesday would normally be pack up day and prep to head home. Only, with only having just a 130 mile trip back to Mystic Ct ahead of us Wednesday and very few items to stow we weren't too concerned. My Aunt called and said they would love to come over. I gave them the address and a trick I found that was better than the GPS route. Then up to the registration office to take care of the admin stuff involved.
About 1:30 they arrived. Apparently my cousin Liz had conned her father into doing a Sunday Breakfast And nobody was " Hungry " . A 16 count pack of dogs later we finished eating. Everyone got the Nickle tour and the particular features that everyone was interested got explained. Jeff had plenty of operational questions and I could see Liz was asking Lucille a bunch of questions as well. The washer-dryer was of particular interest. Both Liz and my Aunt were enthralled with the electric flush toilet . My Aunt Patty commented` how this is a far cry where we started out. My Uncle wanted to know how big a block of SCRAPPLE my BLACKSTONE can handle
Unfortunately Liz and Jeff had a flight to catch in a few hours so we cut the visit short with promises to stay in touch. We did put the chairs away as well as the Grill and Blackstone griddle. Everything else could wait till morning as I intended to leave as late as I could.
Lucille needed to feed her Pasta and Tomato Sauce addiction to wad off withdrawals. so she found a place nearby after choice #1 said they could accommodate us at 8:30 next Tuesday. Villa Roma in Harwich was okay but I am not a big Italian fan.

Last edited:
Wed was start for home day. Both Google Maps and Good Sam Trip Planner had it a trip of approximately 450 miles to home. My preference is to travel less than 350 miles a day. So I spent a good bit of time on GS Trip Plan looking for paces to stop. The I-95 corridor in Ct, RI and Mass is a bit thin on places for RV'ers to overnight. Mystic Ct has some places. The Sun Resort we stayed at on our way up and a KOA nearby it , that a friend recommended.
With only 2 stops planned for on the way to Mystic I knew it would take about 3 hours to get to the Sun Resort. So we delayed our departure till about 10:30 am. Things went as planned and we arrived close enough to check in time to avoid early check in fee. A week earlier we had discovered that Parking in Mystic Proper is an expensive commodity. So we elected to try the Mystic Diner we saw on Ct 27 (Greenmanville Rd ) going into Mystic Proper . Food was good.
Thursday was get home day. Plan was to get on the my 9 and home by 4. We had some concerns about the collapsed bridge on 95 in Philly. Not because we would be going thru it but the NJ Turnpike does run parallel to it. Everything went smooth. Till we neared the exit for Camden NJ. Here we hit traffic not from Philly but a Fatal accident . We chugged along at a brisk 2mph for over an hour and a half. Northern Delaware was a bit better. A normal 40 min drive that day took 90.
Hoping to go back in October to spend more time with my Aunt and Uncle. Supposedly they have 2 golf carts so Katie wants to challenge their Fiona to a drag race. We'll see.

Wed was start for home day. Both Google Maps and Good Sam Trip Planner had it a trip of approximately 450 miles to home. My preference is to travel less than 350 miles a day. So I spent a good bit of time on GS Trip Plan looking for paces to stop. The I-95 corridor in Ct, RI and Mass is a bit thin on places for RV'ers to overnight. Mystic Ct has some places. The Sun Resort we stayed at on our way up and a KOA nearby it , that a friend recommended.
With only 2 stops planned for on the way to Mystic I knew it would take about 3 hours to get to the Sun Resort. So we delayed our departure till about 10:30 am. Things went as planned and we arrived close enough to check in time to avoid early check in fee. A week earlier we had discovered that Parking in Mystic Proper is an expensive commodity. So we elected to try the Mystic Diner we saw on Ct 27 (Greenmanville Rd ) going into Mystic Proper . Food was good.
Thursday was get home day. Plan was to get on the my 9 and home by 4. We had some concerns about the collapsed bridge on 95 in Philly. Not because we would be going thru it but the NJ Turnpike does run parallel to it. Everything went smooth. Till we neared the exit for Camden NJ. Here we hit traffic not from Philly but a Fatal accident . We chugged along at a brisk 2mph for over an hour and a half. Northern Delaware was a bit better. A normal 40 min drive that day took 90.
Hoping to go back in October to spend more time with my Aunt and Uncle. Supposedly they have 2 golf carts so Katie wants to challenge their Fiona to a drag race. We'll see.
If you make the drive out to Provincetown next time, there is the Province Lands Visitor Center with a great lookout pavilion to see the airport, a large swath of the National seashore and dunes, the ocean and bay (you can occasionally see whales out in the ocean with binoculars there), as well as Race Point live saving station (which you should also look up and then take a short drive over to see about the history of the US life saving service (eventual coast guard) and the buildings/equipment used - they have demonstrations on certain days as well as the historic buildings being open to tour). If you want to climb some stairs, the Pilgrim Monument tower gets you a birds eye view of the area. Lot of other interesting places… in Eastham there is the Marconi Station site (first transatlantic communication post), as well as First Encounter beach (the first landing location of Pilgrims in the “New World” before they headed over to Plymouth…. a LOT of fascinating history out there. I love visiting the cemetery that has some of the original Mayflower pilgrims buried in it… glad you had a good trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter