First time trip - itinerary tips and food tips needed

tori729

Earning My Ears
Going with our family of 6 (DH, DS14, DD12, DS9, DS7) Sun-Fri to USO/IoA (park-to-park no express pass) and staying in Dockside (family suite - I know it will be tight!)
Thinking of trying to stay full days in both parks Mon/Tue and half days Wed/Thurs b/c of HHN (maybe going to Citywalk those evenings). Big HP fans and going with four wands already purchased! Interested and open to all rides (knowing the 7yo can't do all but he won't want to anyway).

So itinerary ideas for our stay? (not planning on going much Fri but maybe for something specific if wanted)
What are our amenities for our specific hotel and can we/should we visit the other ones for any reason?
Can we pick up the shuttle wherever? Like if we walk to City Walk or another hotel from the park, can we pick it up there and take it back to Dockside?
What is the best way to carry things in the park - just a backpack? Ideas for the best things to bring in and what to leave at the hotel?
Food is stressing me out. My people are always hungry and I'm cheap. I want to have a balance of not stressing about food but also not spending tons of $$$. What's worth it/what's not?
Was thinking of doing easy breakfast in the hotel, maybe an early or late lunch at quick service and one nicer meal for dinner during the week. We will have a car so we can also go off-site for groceries or other restaurants.

You can use buses / boats to any of the other hotels. Buses & boats shuttle between City Walk & the hotels, so if you were busing between hotels you'd need to hop off the Dockside bus at City Walk & switch.

Backpack works to bring things into the park - make sure it'll squish down to "soda can height" to fit in the lockers. Or bring 2 & use 2 lockers - lockers are free at the rides that require them.

Best way to save on food is breakfast in your hotel room or granola bar type breakfast on the go. Otherwise, heading off site for dinner will save you some, depending where you head - but check out the menus that Universal lists, for all in park & City Walk eateries, since they include prices so you can get an idea. A sit down dinner may not be much more than a quick service lunch. Drinking water at meals will also save you a ton instead of buying several $4.99 sodas throughout the day for everyone... or bringing in beverages in your bag.

I haven't stayed at Dockside, but the amenity differences will be: no pool hopping, not really feasible to walk to the parks (but buses at Universal are very convenient), and no real theming. You still get early admission.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter