First time with a car, driving or bus to MK with medical condition

bear_mom

DIS Veteran
We have been to WDW many times and never had a car, this trip we will have a car staying at BWV. This also will be our first trip with DD having a medical condition were she does not tolerate the heat, she gets tired very, very easily. Epcot and DHS are easy, we will take the boat. AK we will drive. The question comes in surrounding MK - drive or bus? I know we will need to park at TTC and then either take the ferry or monorail to the park.

Is there less walking parking at the TTC, taking the tram, and then the ferry/monorail or walking from the bus stops (I know if varies based on where the BW bus stop is)?

You could pay to valet park at BW or have her wait at the BW entrance while you bring the car around, otherwise the walk to the parking lot is farther than the walk to the BW bus stop. At the TTC, you could pay for Preferred parking, but even then the walk to security (no tram from there) and from there to the monorail or ferry is longer than from the MK bus stop to the entrance tapstyles. If you don’t pay for Preferred parking, sometimes your car may be a long walk from the tram stop, and again you’ll be walking from security to monorail or ferry.

I think that overall there would be less walking for her if you take the bus to MK, but it could be close.

No matter what, don’t leave MK right after the parade or fireworks, when huge crowds are leaving and you may have to wait in a long line for bus/monorail/ferry.

1. I've never taken a car to the parks, so not familiar with that process. But I have been known to take buses to places other than my resort, because they arrive sooner.
Leaving MK, you could take a bus to Hollywood Studios. This gets your daughter on an air conditioned bus and sitting, not waiting specifically for your resort bus. Then boat from HS to BWV. It make take longer, but you are breaking up her walking / heat exposure.

For MK, if she can walk just a bit, I'd take a lyft to/from Contemporary, where you can grab a quick bite or get a nice cold drink as well. A few extra bucks but easily the best control over heat exposure. I mention getting food/ drink at Contemporary because that makes a drop-off rule-abiding as far as I know. That's what we were told by a CM. But if it's not, someone chime in-- I never advocate breaking rules.

We always drive to the parks from our resort except for MK, it’s much easier to take Disney transportation there. The only issue with the bus would be if you’re stuck having to wait a long time in the heat for the bus, since you said your dd is heat intolerant. Even with that I think I’d still choose the bus over driving.

For MK, if she can walk just a bit, I'd take a lyft to/from Contemporary, where you can grab a quick bite or get a nice cold drink as well. A few extra bucks but easily the best control over heat exposure. I mention getting food/ drink at Contemporary because that makes a drop-off rule-abiding as far as I know. That's what we were told by a CM. But if it's not, someone chime in-- I never advocate breaking rules.
You really need an actual dining reservation for drop off at the Contemporary and they limit mobile ordering to those physically in the resort often. I've seen several Uber/Lyfts get turned away at the gate.

You generally need a dining reservation for an Uber driver to drop you off at Contemporary or any monorail resort for the very reason you’re suggesting. However, you may take a Minnie Van, and they will be able to drop you off there, but they also drop off in the bus area of MK, but not necessarily a closer walk than the BW bus - I believe it’s pretty close to the same area, though.

If you're willing to pay, you can take a Minnie Van. It will pick you up outside the front door of the BoardWalk, and drop you off in one of the bus slots at Magic Kingdom.

You might want to contemplate how well she will tolerate a bus. It might be worth the money to start off the day with a comfortable ride in a Minnie Van rather than being on the bus.

Would you consider renting a wheel chair for your DD? Walking in the parks can be brutal in the heat also, even without the walks from parking lots and bus stops. My DH has similar medical issues and can't tolerate both the heat and excessive walking. There are companies which will deliver and pick up wheelchairs/scooters directly to and from the resorts.

You really need an actual dining reservation for drop off at the Contemporary and they limit mobile ordering to those physically in the resort often. I've seen several Uber/Lyfts get turned away at the gate
Thanks for clarification! I'd hate the OP to end up turned away. As always, CM info needed the double check

If you're willing to pay, you can take a Minnie Van. It will pick you up outside the front door of the BoardWalk, and drop you off in one of the bus slots at Magic Kingdom.

You might want to contemplate how well she will tolerate a bus. It might be worth the money to start off the day with a comfortable ride in a Minnie Van rather than being on the bus.
Good idea--I'd forgotten about those!

I just used google maps and did rough calculations from the furthest bus depot to the "entrance", and from the tram drop off point at TTC and taking the monorail and ferry to the same "entrance":

Bus Depot: 1400 ft
TTC via Ferry: 1450 ft
TTC via Monorail: 963 ft

The TTC measurements do NOT include walking from the car to the tram pickup (which obviously can vary quite a bit).

I would think the Bus depot (whether utilizing busses - free or Mini Van - $$$) is the way to go. Maybe bus TO the MK, and then consider Mini Van FROM (depending on when you leave and what the bus lines are like).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I think we will use the bus to MK. I like the suggestion of taking a bus to DHS, and might look at that option if one shows up earlier. She is working on building up her stamina before our trip and it will be a very different trip for us, we usually go, go, go.

I a,m keeping a wheelchair in the back of my head, if she is having a bad day try to get her to use one.

bear mom...sending lots of pixie dust to you and your DD. I hope that you have a great trip! We have slowed down and enjoy the parks in different ways now. We used to be go,go,go too!

This also will be our first trip with DD having a medical condition were she does not tolerate the heat, she gets tired very, very easily.
Might want to obtain an accessible parking placard from your state

depending on your DD’s needs, may want to contact disney to see if DAS accommodation may be helpful.

Might want to obtain an accessible parking placard from your state

depending on your DD’s needs, may want to contact disney to see if DAS accommodation may be helpful.

She plans on trying for das, she got it for MSNNHP (but she only used it once or twice due to low wait times and it cooling off once the sun went down ).

When I traveled with my mom in the early 2000’s, she was undergoing chemo. We took the car to MK except in the evening when we would be there after fireworks. When we were staying at OKW, we took the car to all parks. When staying at BWV, we took the boat to DHS and Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter