First Timers at the Poly

bvolek86

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are finally staying at our first deluxe resort in July! We are extremely excited to stay at the Polynesian. We have eaten at O'Hana before and have always talked about how cool it would be to actually stay at the Poly.

Now that we are, I'm looking to all of the Polynesian Vets out there for help. What is your favorite part about staying there? What hidden gems should we be on the look out for?

Thanks!

We stayed there for the first time last September and LOVED it! Some of my favorite things were: The beautiful,tropical landscaping, the smell of the lobby when you walk in, being able to hop on the monorail, and of course being able to get a Dole Whip! We were in the Fiji building 3rd floor on the marina side, so we had a great view and were pretty close to everything. LOVED it all!

Make sure to catch the torch lighting ceremony every night! We stayed for our honeymoon and just loved the convenience to the MK. Ended up trying almost everything on the menu at Captain Cook's, and had multiple Dole Whips.

We stayed at the Poly last August for the first time. It is your tropical island getaway, try to spend some time enjoying the beautiful landscaping. We had a marina view near the pool. We loved seeing all the activity on the water. Our hidden gem? In the evenings, a ukulele player by the pool was singing softly as the tiki torches flickered. It was relaxing after a day at the parks. Be sure to take the ferry over to the MK. The first time you see the monorail roaring in is so much fun!

Yes to the torch lighting ceremony. It’s so cool! Watching the fireworks from the beach with a glass of wine. Seeing how beautiful everything looks all lit up when it gets dark out. The pulled pork nachos at Capt Cooks. Make dinner reservations at restaurants on the Monorail loop bc it’s so convient. It’s seriously the best vibe ever there and so convienent!

The oasis pool is a lovely relaxing place. It's a great place to hang out after a long day in the parks. Also, the pool bar is great(I highly recommend the fish tacos).

OMG you will never want to stay anywhere else! Poly was my dream resort, in 2010 my husband said we can stay at the Poly IF you let us relax at the resort more ( I was a Disney commando lol) I agreed and we are HOOKED on the Poly! Its the tropical laid back theming, the beautiful views of the beach, MK, and other monorail resorts, its watching fireworks on the beach. Relaxing by the pool, I adore the Hawaiian music that's played on a loop. We take daily swim/relax breaks from the parks and one day off completely for the resort..

We love it, don't forget that you can walk to the TTC!

We stayed DVC so for us it was actually faster to get off at the TTC and walk to our room than to get off at the Great Ceremonial House.

If your interested check out our review that just went up, like I said though we did stay in a Studio and not a hotel room: https://www.mainstreetchat.com/2018/05/17/disneys-polynesian-village-resort-and-villas-review/
Great review! I didn't know you could fill your mugs at Oasis? Do they have coffee there in the mornings like around 7-9am? This will be our first DVC stay (renting) and a little concerned about the worn and scratched up rooms...

Great review! I didn't know you could fill your mugs at Oasis? Do they have coffee there in the mornings like around 7-9am? This will be our first DVC stay (renting) and a little concerned about the worn and scratched up rooms...
Thanks for Reading! While Oasis has the mug refill station the problem is they aren't open in the morning! We did see Coffee out late morning (after 10 or so)

We think if you ask to avoid the 1st floor you should get a room in better condition, we are just guessing but we think the first floor may be more worn because of ECV's and wheel chairs. The other maintenance issues do appear to be generally common in DVC rooms if you read around the board but engineering does come out quickly and take care of whatever you report.

Have a magical vacation I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks for Reading! While Oasis has the mug refill station the problem is they aren't open in the morning! We did see Coffee out late morning (after 10 or so)

We think if you ask to avoid the 1st floor you should get a room in better condition, we are just guessing but we think the first floor may be more worn because of ECV's and wheel chairs. The other maintenance issues do appear to be generally common in DVC rooms if you read around the board but engineering does come out quickly and take care of whatever you report.

Have a magical vacation I'm sure you'll love it.
Well we will bring some coffee and filters to have some coffee in the room in the mornings before heading out then, the sodas there will be convenient tho.. Im requesting a balcony so that's good if they are mostly on the 1st floor

We've stayed at the Poly twice. First time we toured the parks so much that we didn't take in as much at the resort. Last year we had way more down time and really enjoyed relaxing at the resort. Best vacation ever. Only thing I wish was that the Oasis pool was adult only. Understandably never going to happen, but that would be ideal for us.

Search Tikiman on the web he has a whole site about the Poly. He also posts here sometimes.
Some of the old things I loved are gone like my Hammock... but the swings on the beach are nice as well but very hard to find unoccupied in the evening.
Watch the Fireworks from the pool chairs when you first walk in facing the beach.... I find it to be a better view than from the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter