First Timers Dining Review 12/9-16

MAGICPOTATO

Earning My Ears
Just returned from our first ever WDW vacation. What a blast!! First off I MUST comment that the QS menus/varieties are TERRIBLE!! Everywhere you turn your choices for breakfasts or lunches became very blah. Everywhere it was the same breakfast platter or hamburger, pizza, hotdog fair. With that said our opinion is that Disney should try DIFFERENT types of dining options - for instance allowing you to buy only table services or only quick services. We found ourselves after a few days being so tired of the QS menus that we just skipped meals and purchased better meals and ended up giving away 6 QS meals on the last day of our trip (by the way that was so much fun to do!!) anywho...just a word of caution, most of the TS's we went to were disappointing (to us). I'll rate each one on a scale of 1-5. 1 being BAD.

12/10: Chef Mickey's buffet dinner: 2 - prime rib was the main course, red potatoes, cranberry dressing, glazed carrots, mickey mouse ravioli and usual salad/dessert stuff. All the food LOOKED good but was very bland. Waiter was TERRIBLE - too many tables with too many big groups to care for. Characters were ok but they too had to rush around because of the big family gatherings. We have eaten at Goofy's Kitchen at DL soo many times and it is a MUST DO for us, so our expectation for this restaurant was very high. They are NOTHING a like!! Very disappointing BUT if your lucky to sit by the window - the view is SPECTACULAR!!

12/11: Donalds Breakfastasourus: 1 - this food was just not good AND when your hungry it is a long walk in. The fresh fruit, cereals, danishes were ok but the scrambled eggs were runny, mickey waffles & pancackes were cold, quiche & breakfast pizza were bland and the bacon, now lets talk about the bacon - every where we went, the bacon was that microwave type bacon - YUK!! This restaurant is normally a McDonald's during the day so the presentation was very lacking. The lines to enter the buffet were long because the buffet set-up only allows for you to retrieve your food from one side which normally might be ok but there is just not a variety to choose from so your ALL in the same line. Honestly - I just wouldn't bother with this one. The service was ok but she didn't return to refill any of our drinks but was quick to hand us our bill.

12/12: Princess Storybook Breakfast Buffet at Norway in EPCOT:3 - this place is a LONG walk if your not expecting it and are hungry!! We had never experienced a buffet where they bring your main courses directly to your table instead of you wandering around. The idea is good but again same old breafast buffet food. Scrambled eggs, augratin potatoes, microwave bacon etc. The self-serve fresh fruit bar was good but not much selection. The best part was the different norweign breads - it was nice trying something different. If you have little girls, they will be THRILLED with how the princesses go around and greet. My girls however are getting to be just a bit too old and became disinterested - they wanted to go ride rides!

12/12: Coraf Reef: 3 - as has been said many times, it IS dark but the seating is fun where eveyone has a view of the tank. The seafood options were disappointing - we were hoping for more selection but they only offered salmon so we ended up eating the New York strip. It was good but again everything was bland - doesn't anyone here cook with seasonings, at least salt!?!

12/13: Sci-Fi 3: We ate dinner here - my STRONG recommendation - eat only lunch here. The atmosphere and the "cars" are GREAT but it is more in line with a good hamburger and malt NOT a steak or rib's dinner. The eating "area" is small and dark so eating a "fine" dinner is very hard and the atmosphere lends itself to fun dining not fine dining. The ribs were great but the steak was bland and the red wine sauce on top of it made it even worse. The onion rings were divine but again would have been better for lunch not dinner. Our waiter was GREAT , very attentive and interactive. Again I would definately do this restaurant but only for lunch!

12/14: Jiko:10 - what an INCREDIBLE meal with great surroundings. EVERYONE MUST experience a meal here. I had the maize/sweet potato appetizer, filet (ask for the wine sauce be put on the side so you can really taste the filet) mac & cheese and the chocolate cake. I cannot express to you how delicious this meal was. It is worth the 2 credits!! Our waiter Leslie was very attentive and informative.

12/15: Whispering Canyon:4 - we did not eat on the dining plan here so we watched what we ordered. Hubby had the skillet and I had the omlette, girls ordered belgiam waffles & the milkshakes (for breakfast?). The throwing of the napkins and straws was fun and my husband made the mistake of asking for ketchup which was VERY funny. The food was great but that milkshake was the highlight - YUMMY!!!!

12/15: Le Cellier:10 - again another INCREDIBLE meal. We did not have reservations and were out of TS credits but it was just the two of us - hubby and me w/o kids so we popped in at 7:00 and they seated us almost immediately. We shared the ceasar salad and both ordered the filet. WOW is the only way I can describe this food. It was without doubt the BEST filet I have ever eaten with Jiko's coming in 2nd.

Our vacation was INCREDIBLE but the food was somewhat disappointing.

Thanks for your reviews - we love LeCellier and plan on Jiko and Coral reef for the first time next trip. Seems like Coral reef is hit or miss, but Jiko gets consistently good reviews. :thumbsup2

I happen to like my food frightfully bland. In fact, If I am not especially hungry, if I see pepper (specks of black) in my food, I will likely not eat that item, whatever it was. (I just cant stand pepper). My DH, on the other hand, makes good use of the salt/ pepper shakers on the table, and will ask for some chopped garlic (his favorite to season food with) when ordering. This may help you with your blandness issues (or some tabasco?) :confused3

Thanks for the reviews! I think counter service restaurants at WDW are mostly awful, although I've had a few meals that were pretty good. Table service meals are pretty hit or miss, but DH and I LOVE the atmosphere at the table service restaurants and are willing to pay the price for so-so food. ;) I'm vegetarian and DH is not, and I'm grateful that nearly every restaurant in Disney has some vegetarian options, even if I'm not crazy about them.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter