First trip to DL by WDWers

MoiraRD

Loves all things Disney!
Hi! I just thought that I would post a bit about my family's recent trip to DL. This was also our first time out west, so it was doubly exciting! We have been to WDW a few times and became DVC members because we just love it there. We had some extra points and decided to try a different Disney property just to see what else was out there. I have heard conflicting reports about which park is better, and I went with not very high expectations. Well, I have to say that we just loved it there! We stayed in the Disneyland Hotel. We had originally tried to get into the Grand Californian, but it was booked solid for our chosen week - April 19-April26. We "settled" for the DL hotel. We were placed in the Marina Tower with our room overlooking the entrance. Not a spectacular view, but we could see the Matterhorn in the distance. Well, I thought it wasn't that great until the couple of nights that they decided to do a test run on the fireworks they were planning for the 50th anniversary. They were spectacular and we couldn't have had a better view. It was much better to see them in the comfort of our own room than being smushed like sardines in the park! The first night that they had them-the 20th-I was actually in bed because we live in MA and even though it was only 9 in CA, my body thought that it was midnight. My husband caught that show and raved about it. I made sure that I didn't miss the next one that happened a few nights later!

We had gotten 3 day park hopper passes for our stay and figured that we would just use our remaining stay to do touristy things. Well, we actually were able to walk to both parks from our hotel. We never once had to get on a bus or shuttle. That in itself is a giant plus for me because we have two daughters(3 and 11) and I really dislike taking the shuttles. My eldest always feels the need to sit in the back and I am so afraid that my little one will fall off the seat or just plain fall, so I am stressed out for the whole ride. Anyway, no stress in the commute to the park! Downtown Disney was right before the park entrances as well, so we could walk to another favorite part of my Disney trip. I can't imagine a Disney trip without my visit(s) to Basin, and I was thrilled to be able to walk there! They also had a Build-A-Bear there which I was able to take our 3 year old to while my husband took our 11 year old to a place called "Club Libby Lu" for a rock star makeover. That was a great day because they both got their little treats. There were some fabulous restaurants downtown, and one we especially liked was Ralph Brennan's Jazz Club.

We enjoyed our park visits as well. There were some different rides there, and it was nice to try some different ones. We were also able to go on It's A Small World for our first time ever which never seems to be open when we go to WDW. The Pirates of the Carribean ride was also a bit different at DL than WDW. The park California Adventure was great for our 11 year old. They had some rides there that she didn't feel were too young for her. I think that our all time favorite ride that we were all able to go on was the Soarin' ride. I heard that they are putting one in WDW, and I can't wait for that as the ride was amazing! You literally felt like you were flying over different parts of CA! You feel the wind as you are "flying" and they pipe in different smells, so your senses are completely fooled into believing that you are actually there.

For our touristy days, we did the Hollywood/LA tour, which I am sad to say, is a bit overrated. Maybe we didn't pick the greatest tour company, and I am sure that there are people out there that love it, but if you are looking to do a little more exploring, I advise a map and a rental car and try it on your own. I felt rushed and didn't feel I could see as much as I would have liked to. But otherwise, it was fun to cruise around and see some of the things you see and hear about on TV. Another day we made the quick drive out to Long Beach for a visit to the Queen Mary. I loved that! We took the ghost tour and just spent the day exploring the different parts of the ship. I enjoyed it the most as my husband had never even heard of it until I asked if we could go there! There is a Russian Submarine docked alongside the Queen Mary which we would have liked to tour, but they don't advise families with young children as there are a lot of ladders and tight spaces to see and it just isn't feasible to drag a toddler along. The frustration level would just be sky high!

I am embarassed to say that we didn't make it to the San Diego Zoo this time around. We had planned to have a day there, but there is just so much to do that we never got there. We definitely plan on going back again and the Zoo is going to make it into our itinerary!

All in all, we had a wonderful time. I don't think that it is fair to say which park is better only because they are two completely different places. There are pluses and minuses to both DL and WDW, but in my eyes, the pluses of both far outweigh the minuses. They are both great! We are looking forward to our next journey to DL!

We were at the DLH the 19 through 23, glad you had a good trip, so did we. )and I agree the fireworks were great.) :rotfl: :Pinkbounc

I've been getting nervous about this trip. So many people who have done WDW seem to think DL pales in comparison. I'm glad to see that it is possible to enjoy each for what they have to offer!!!

When we were at WDW the people who were complaining loudly to anyone who would listen were the folks who obviously have too much free time and money, because they were comparing their current visit to the bazillion they'd done before. We stayed at Movies when it first opened and couldn't have had a better experience...but one family we kept running into on the shuttles did nothing but gripe about how they usually stayed at the Contemporary and how Movies was so bad in comparison.

Maybe it helps to be relatively poor and to only be able to take these big trips once every half-dozen years. Compared to our regular vacations to Omaha and St. Paul I'm sure Disneyland will be a delight.

I'm just glad to see that someone else has had a great experience there!!!!

Thanks, MoiraRD!

I enjoyed your trip report. We are WDWers with plans to visit DL (and the DLH) in October and I can't wait to see it all.

Since you mentioned not liking shuttles because of your kids, I'm curious to know what type of transportation you used to/from the airport, etc. I haven't quite figured out what we will do with our kids (carseats/boosters/etc) for the trip. :confused3

How cool that you got a preview of the fireworks-- and from your room!

Hi!

Yes, veteran WDWers can definitely enjoy DL! I really did and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Like I mentioned before, after all the things we heard about DL and the programs we have seen on the Travel channel, we were completely focused on staying at the Grand Californian. I was *extremely* disappointed that I would have to be staying at the DLH, and actually considered putting off the trip until we could get a room there. I did agree to stay there, but since the DLH was booked our first night there, we stayed at the HOJO in Anaheim. This was actually fine for us because we didn't arrive in Anaheim until midday. We did pop in the Grand Californian to check it out while we were there just to see if we were missing anything, but I felt almost as if I was standing in the lobby of the WL in WDW. I am so glad that we stayed at DLH because it gave us something else different in the trip. I think that if I had stayed at the GC, I would have also been looking for WDW and been disappointed in that respect. I would definitely stay at the DLH again. We went to a restaraunt in the Paradise Pier Hotel and from what I saw there, I would also consider a stay there. The kids were able to make their own pizzas for dinner and then look in the gift shop in the hotel afterward. Another good night!!

I am not a shuttle person. I don't like being at the mercy of the drivers and their schedules, so we rented a car for our stay. We were also able to rent a car seat for the week for our 3 year old. That was handy as it was one less thing we had to lug to the airport! We rented through Avis and got a great deal! I am not a complete shuttle snob though! I do take them when I have to, but I really did like the freedom to come and go from the parks and DTD on our own two legs - great exercise as well! You somehow don't feel so guilty indulging in some of the yummy foods when you know that you spend your days running around the park! At least that is what I convince myself!! :rotfl:

Just remember that DL and WDW are two completely different places. They are each their own worlds, and if you go to DL looking for WDW, you won't find it. Just as you won't find DL in WDW. Yes, there are the similarities between the two, but they both have great things to offer and you are sure to find what you are looking for! There is a lot to look forward to at DL. You should have a great time!

MoiraRD said:
I don't like being at the mercy of the drivers and their schedules, so we rented a car for our stay. We were also able to rent a car seat for the week for our 3 year old. That was handy as it was one less thing we had to lug to the airport! We rented through Avis and got a great deal! I am not a complete shuttle snob though!

Really? So Avis can rent child seats... that is excellent news.
We were thinking we'd rent a car so that we could do a day trip to the San Diego Zoo on one of our days (probably the Saturday since the MK might be too crowded). I think you just helped me decide on renting a car. ;)

We have always stayed at the WL at WDW (though we are trying the Poly in January) and I was drawn to the GCH at first, too. But then I wondered if the DLH might give us a more DL feel... I'm glad we chose that one. Thanks again for the report. It was very helpful to me.

Hi Tracy,

Glad I could help! Saturday should be a great day to head there. We used our last day in the park on a weekend and what a mistake! I wished we had waited until the Monday before we left. We stayed at WL for our first trip to WDW, and really enjoyed it. DLH is a great hotel. You won't regret staying there. They have live entertainment at night near their outdoor bar. It was nice to relax after a long day and let the kids dance out the extra energy!

You will have a great time in DL! Enjoy your trip! :)

Moira

Thank you, your trip report just sold Dh into our June trip, he was only going to "satisfy" my Disney need. But I kept telling him how close thigs are etc... and your trip report did the trick!! :goodvibes Thanks.

--Glad you had a good trip. :earsgirl:

my very first disney experience was almost 20 years ago & that was visiting family in california. Now I'm 31 & coming back out to CA to see my family again & am totally excited about seeing Disneyland again!!
when I return from my trip in June, I promise to post a review & hopefully have a link for some photos for all of you to see.

can anyone tell me about DL & Calif Adv what, where are the best things to do? can I see & do both in 1 day? is there a pin traders place?

:bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Thank you for the info, and great trip report!!!! I'm wondering if I should plan a trip to DL, and that's why I'm lurking around the DL board...only WDW trips for us.... :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter