First Trip to HHI ...Loved it!!!

bbn1122

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our first visit to HHI. We loved the resort, as well as, Hilton Head Island itself.

Now, I know why so many add on points at HHI....

We were in a 1 bedroom (cottage 1226), building 12, top floor over looking marsh, right above the boardwalk area. We really like being near the lodge and away from the bulk of the buildings. It was quiet and but convenient. We did not find the pool to far away.

I absolutely love Hilton Head. I told my husband I want to retire there.

The Beach House is great we went to the beach on Saturday and it was very quiet in the morning. There was almost no one at pool when we got there about 9:20am. By about 11:30am it started to get busier, but the parking never filled up. We drove and it was easy to find and very close. I discovered the underground parking.

My boys loved the options of going back and forth from beach to pool. They loved the pool table and ping pong right by the pool. My DH loved being able to get some shade when needed. The water was warm with a light surf. We went back on Sunday early because the weather called for thunderstorms by noon (which never came). We got up to the Beach House again about 9:30a and again no one there at all. The beach was empty and the surf was rough. The yellow flags were up and the riptide was intense. My boys loved it but it was a battle just to keep from being dragged half way down the beach. We left by about 11:30am and the area was still really quiet.

We booked the Kayak excursion for Monday, but they cancelled it due to impending bad weather, which never came. The day actually was goregous, we were kind of bummed.

My boys rented bikes and so did I. I had not been bike riding in about 10 years but love it. My older son had a ball riding his longboard around the resort. So, if you were there from Friday to Tuesday and saw a 6'6" guy on a skateboard gliding around that was him.

We went to Sea Pines and visited the Lighthouse and then the next day we went to Salty Dog for lunch. The food and service were terrific and crowds low at lunch.

My boys did not want to eat out much, so we saved money. DH and I went to the British Open Pub (in same shopping center as EAT). I had looked over so many restaurants and knew we would have seafood the next day. I saw their menu which featured a Lobster Pot Pie on Sunday nights and I knew I had to give it a try. WOW!!!!! Delicious....great service, nice atmosphere. I wanted to go back the next night. The menu includes Shepards Pie, Cottage Pie, Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash, plus steaks (Certified Angus Beef), chicken etc. My DH had their Potato and Leak Soup, which was delicious, we shared the Pretzel w/ Mustard (Hot Puffy Pretzels shaped like Garlic Sticks) we loved it. DH had the Fish and Chips (delicious) and as I said I had Lobster Pot Pie (it was like a whole lobster cut up in a broth with a few carrots) top with a puff pastry....this was one of the best things I have ever eat. I do not usually have room for dessert, but I had to have their homemade Bread Pudding.....it was chocolate flavored with a drizzle of warm carmel topped with whipped cream which had bourbon in it.....what can I say it fabulous....oh...I forgot they have an extensive menu of Enlgish, Irish and various imported beer, as well as domestic....we are not big drinkers but both had a beer. I had a Irish Ale and my DH had an English Lager.
To say we had a great dinner is an understatement....We went early so we had no problem getting a table ....oh I forgot to mention...we sat at a both with a flat screen tv with the Olympic women's volleyball game on. It was fun....

I bought grocery at the Piggly Wiggly. DH got food from Giusippies twice. We are from NJ and he is from NY originally, so he has had some good Italian food. He thought it was very good ( of course not the same as home).

We loved the relax atmosphere of the resort. We definitely will be back.

If you have any question please feel free to ask.....:dance3:

Where did you rent bikes? Did you rent for the week? for the day? Were you able to bike ride around without being on the road with traffic?
Thank you!

Where did you rent bikes? Did you rent for the week? for the day? Were you able to bike ride around without being on the road with traffic?
Thank you!

We rented at the resort (very convenient). DVC Members $16 per 24 hrs or $30 length of stay. My one son wanted for the whole time. I rented for the rest of us after our excurison was canceled for 24 hours. HHI is the home of the Bike Path....they are everywhere to connect pretty much what looked like the entire island. There are paths around the resort and then it leads out of the resort. The path goes under the Main Road and heads into Palmentto Dunes up to the beach and Beach House. We drove thru Sea Pines and everyone is on bikes there on the paths.

I know there are other places to rent from. Disney has plenty of bikes and they give you a basket and lock with the bike.:)

did you happen to notice if the bike place had any pull behind carts or trailers that you could attach to a bike? i'm trying to figure out how we would carry our beach chairs and boogie boards if we ride bikes to the beach.
thx :)

mrsschlep said:
did you happen to notice if the bike place had any pull behind carts or trailers that you could attach to a bike? i'm trying to figure out how we would carry our beach chairs and boogie boards if we ride bikes to the beach.
thx :)

I only saw the baby/toddler pull behinds. We originally thought we would bike to the beach but did not. I would drive or take the shuttle. We drove and went early parking was never a problem before noon. The days we were there the Beach House was kind of quiet,especially the morning.

To get to the beach by bike you need at one point to walk all bike s down a ramp on the Shelter cove side then once going under the main road you need to cross a double road on the Palmetto Dunes side because the bike bath to beach is a one way for each side of the road.

I grew up 3 blocks from the ocean in NJ we used to put our chairs on the handle bars and boogie boards others would car either same way or under one arm. They do give you baskets.

Have fun and good luck.

Glad you enjoyed HHI! We absolutely love the place - we did a small add-on so we could be sure to go every summer, but can only afford enough for a few nights each year. Wish we could stay longer - I always tear up a little when we pull out of there to go home!:goodvibes

OP - I loved what you wrote about retiring at HHI. Every time we go, I say the exact same thing. I want to retire to Sun City or Bluffton though. If it wasn't for the fact we have two grown kids that can't seem to get along with out us, I'd think seriously about doing it :rotfl2:.

;)We also just returned from Hilton Head and looks like we had some overlap. We were there Aug. 5-10. This was our first trip to HHI. In fact, it was our first DVC trip. We were in a one bedroom in building 12 as well and it was me, DH, DD15 and DDF15. The girls had a great time and also enjoyed going back and forth between the beach and the resort pool.

HHI has truly won our hearts. I really think that my DH would be willing to retire there as well. In fact, when we got home, we looked at the real estate and checked out condo prices for sale. Not in the cards anytime soon for us but enjoyed dreaming. My youngest just asked the other day when we were going back to HHI. Just not sure.

Tinks "SS" said:
HHI has truly won our hearts. I really think that my DH would be willing to retire there as well. In fact, when we got home, we looked at the real estate and checked out condo prices for sale. Not in the cards anytime soon for us but enjoyed dreaming. My youngest just asked the other day when we were going back to HHI. Just not sure.

I was looking at the real estate while I was there. I loved Sea pines but the prices were shocking and I am from NJ where houses prices have always been on the high side.

I can not wait to go back...too....dreaming of HHI....

We were there a few weeks ago for our 2nd trip to HHI. After the first time we added on points to be sure to get in during the summer. The kids absolutely love this resort and we plan on going for many years to come. The CM's are the greatest at this resort.

I, too, am a big fan of HHI and can't wait to return in March for a quick trip. Not only do I love the resort, but I find the whole "low country" south carolina atmosphere to be amazing. On my last trip I spent a day in Savannah and a day in Charleston. Charleston is hands-down the most beautiful city on the East coast that I have ever toured.

To the OP - thanks for the tip about the lobster pie. Sounds amazing. I hope you do get to kayak if you return. I went on the tour in October and absolutely loved it. The tour guide was exceptionally knowledgeable about the whole area. Highly recommend it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter