fish and chips counter vs rose &crown

jann1033

<font color=darkcoral>Right now I'm an inch of nat
any difference between these two. don't know how the hubby would do with lunch from R& C as only thing he'd probably like is the stew...how is that by the way? so would we be better to just snack for lunch (usually our big meal) and I can get the counter fish and chips? that isn't seasonal is it by the way? Or we could get dim sum from 9 dragons(never ate there yet, anyone use the kl vouchers there ever?) and snack for dinner....any ideas Thanks

The fish and chips are the same, served inside or at the window. They are very good BTW. I resisted them for many years and finally tried them last spring. I like the take-out window because I can then sit in the garden or out by the lagoon to enjoy my meal. It's not seasonal either.

Originally posted by Margie J
The fish and chips are the same, served inside or at the window. They are very good BTW. I resisted them for many years and finally tried them last spring. I like the take-out window because I can then sit in the garden or out by the lagoon to enjoy my meal. It's not seasonal either.

now that sounds like the perfect disney moment to me!

I love a good fish and chips but I threw mine away from the counter service - they were HORRIBLE. Completely soggy in old oil. Don't know if it was a bad batch but I still had a craving for them so I tried again at MGM and they were very similar - very soggy. So if you like soggy oily fish then give it a try.

This is one meal that cannot be pre-cooked and nursed along. The only way to eat fish and chips is straight from the fryer.

so is that a thumbs down for both or just the counter(lol)?I don't like anything that tastes like it's been sitting around for awhile and would rather get something good or not get it at all. soggy oily fish would totally turn me off.

I've gotten them from the counter the last two years and they were great! The line was LONG, but because there were so many people, the fish was fresh and hot!

Great meal. I'm planning on getting this again this January.

maybe this would be one food to only get during peak meal hours so it wasn't sitting around for long. I wonderif disney is like Macdonald's ( at least the one around my house) where they make so many up at a time or if they make it per order.

Hubby and I tried the fish and chips at the counter service place in September and really enjoyed it. Fish and chips were crispy, fresh and *hot*...just prepared. We grabbed the fish and chips and each got a bass ale right there to wash it down. We were lucky enough to snag a table right in front of the Rose and Crown outside while listening to the group that impersonates the Beatles. Would definitely eat there again!

There are really three choices here, not two.

1. R&C Restaurant serves fish and chips meal at both lunch and dinner in the dining room. Relatively pricey at $14.79 per serving. Overpriced in my opinion.

2. The R&C Pub serves a fish and chips "snack" for about $6.50 or so.

3. The Yorkshire County Fish Shop is the adjacent carry-out window. I think the fish and chips from there is the same serving as in the Pub, at essentially the same price, give or take a quarter or two.

I usually get the fish and chips snack at the pub. Order at the bar, get your drinks and take a table in the pub. Watch for when the food is delivered to the bar so you get it while it's still hot and you should be fine.

Ralph

Might be a stupid question...but are ya'll talking about a carry-out window for F & C ....is this in England at Epcot?

yes although I think someone mentioned them fromMGM also

We love eating at R&C at least during our trip. We never get the fish and chips though cause it is so much cheaper and more enjoyable to get it at the take out counter just outside. We grab a table and enjoy one of the shows while one of us grabs 2 fish and chips for the 3 of us to share. We found this out one year on our way to the International Gateway to meet our group for an Illuminations cruise. It was lovely. My hubby would never pay full price for the fish and chips again in the restaurant, not when there is so many other things great to eat. My fave is the pie trio at dinner it is awesome. Hope this helps.

it does thanks..we have decided to just snack around 2 nights since there are way to many things we want to try! I will wait till a mealtime so I can get the f&c nice and fresh at the cheaper place or maybe the pub..anyone know the cost of it there?..I think counter is 6.50 and some one said they thought the pub was the same or close?

Originally posted by jann1033
it does thanks..we have decided to just snack around 2 nights since there are way to many things we want to try! I will wait till a mealtime so I can get the f&c nice and fresh at the cheaper place or maybe the pub..anyone know the cost of it there?..I think counter is 6.50 and some one said they thought the pub was the same or close?

The cost at the pub is essentially the same as at the take-out window next door. It it is not the same price, it is no more than fifty cents more in any case.

Ralph

I've heard that the "fish & chips" are not authentic English chips but just American french fries. If you've ever had the real thing, that's hard to accept. Any comments?

sounds more promising yet!
Thanks
edited cause that was directed at the pub comment, not the fries comment sorrry!

I got the fish and chips at the Rose and Crown last November and it was one big, long piece of fish, not the fish "strips" like I thought they were at the Counter Service place.

My fish at the R&C wasn't very good.

Maggie

I wouldn't want anyone to get a batch they were unhappy with, so I happily volunteer my services as a taste-tester for anyone wanting to get the fish and chips, one of my personal favorite meals in all of Epcot.

Personally, I'm another one who votes for getting it at the window, and then wandering over into the park to sit and eat (especially if the band happens to be playing!).

As for eating in the actual R&C, I've had several fantastic meals there, although I'll admit that the only time I had the pricier version of fish and chips, I wasn't much impressed. Much preferred the take-out window version. I did, however, have a really great meal with a barley and lamb soup starter, followed by prime rib and yorkshire pudding. Yummy with a capital Y!

Should anyone need an official tester during the week of Nov. 29-December 6, please feel free to drop me a line. I'm also available to sip your bourbon for you... just to be sure no one is out to do you in!

Richard

Hello,

I've eaten the fish & chips at the outside counter, and found that the portion sold in the Rose & Crown ( not the dining room, but the pub) is the same one. I enjoy sitting inside the pub on a hot afternoon enjoying a pint o' Bass ( or another one I think was called Tennant's on my last trip, a nice tasty brew also), and enjoying the atmosphere. We've found that people are very talkative when they come in, and we've gotten to speak to quite a few people from the UK inside, which was a nice touch. The price in the pub portion and the outside counter are essentially the same, maybe a few cents difference.

And we'll be back 11/30 through 12/10, so keep an eye out for us !!!

Take care,

Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter