Flights from Aulani/Hawaii to Toronto - connection in Vancouver

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Looking at a flight coming home from Honolulu/Aulani to Toronto, that connects in Vancouver. However there is only a 1 h 15 min layoff in Vancouver for us to catch the flight from Vancouver to Toronto.

Is this a tight connection? Would we have to change terminals in Vancouver, and if so, do we clear customs in Vancouver or in Toronto?

You clear customs in Vancouver.
That might be a bit tight if you have any weather delays but I think that was about the same as we had last time we went and we were sitting around for a bit.
I also found there was a fair bit of a walk from one area to the next after you land at YVR.
West Jet and Air Canada are pretty good about that connection because it is a daily, common one but I wouldnt plan to have a sit down meal or anything.
I want to say it took about 15 mins to clear customs both ways and it wasnt very busy but if got caught in a long line up it might be cutting it close.

We haven't had any issues with clearing customs in Vancouver on any of our US trips. We had a 2 hour connection between our Cdn/US connection in January and had a lot of time to spare. If your connection is tight, I believe they will fast-track you through Customs, and you can bypass security going from the US/International side of the airport to the Canadian Departure side. Which airline are you flying? Westjet may be a farther walk than Air Canada but it's likely only going to take you 10-15 minutes to walk from one side to the other. Last year was bad for snow, but usually Vancouver only gets one or two bad snow storms each winter and that would be my biggest worry weather-wise as they really don't know how to deal with snow.

I am looking at an Aeroplan-points flight but not until July so weather should not be an issue. I was more concerned about random delays (15 min here and there) for various reasons.

I don’t know about clearing customs then going on to connection. If it’s any different. I live here. But the last 2 trips Vancouver customs is very quick. Coming from my flight it was all automated. No lines. You do everything on a machine. Then when you’re done the machine spits out a slip that you take to an agent, they look at it and wave you on. Sorry, I don’t know if procedure is different when making a connection and continuing travel.

I don’t know about clearing customs then going on to connection. If it’s any different. I live here. But the last 2 trips Vancouver customs is very quick. Coming from my flight it was all automated. No lines. You do everything on a machine. Then when you’re done the machine spits out a slip that you take to an agent, they look at it and wave you on. Sorry, I don’t know if procedure is different when making a connection and continuing travel.

This was the same process for us when connecting through Vancouver (we are in Northern BC so always have to connect through Vancouver)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter