Flights to Aulani

andersonsc

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure where to ask this but here goes -

I was told by a friend that flights to Hawaii get cheaper about 3 months out. So I have been checking Hawaiian airlines almost every day. Getting really worried because the flights for June now seem to be going up!! Did I miss out on cheaper fares and should I have bought months ago when we booked our room? Will fares actually come down or should I buy now?

I've only heard Hawaiian air recommended by 3 friends that fly to Hawaii about every year. Any other airlines compare that I should look into? Flying out of Phoenix, LAX or Las Vegas.

thanks for any info.

June is a busy time in Hawaii so I'd be a little suspicious that flights will just keep going up.

I'd try checking the dates on kayak and expand beyond Hawaiian. When the dates pop up there will also be info on the Kayaks confidence of what will happen with the prices - ie, go up, go down etc.

From the west coast it certainly can be possible to pick up less expensive flights to hawaii closer to the travel dates if they need to fill some seats but I've never paid that close of attention to June. I know I've seen that a lot for Nov/Dec.

While I did buy my Maui tickets exactly three months ahead, I hesitate to recommend that to others. A friend bought tickets a few weeks later for $150 more per person than I did. They just fluctuate so much.

There are several good airlines that fly into Hawaii. But I agree with your friends, Hawaiian is my favorite.

We flew Alaska Airlines and they were great! We also are going in June, and I noticed about 4 days ago that prices went up quite a bit. Hoping they go back down!!

I'm in the same boat as you. Playing the waiting game. Not happy, wish I bought but husband wanted me to wait. The fares are crazy high. !,500 for out r/T fares out of NY. If they don't go down we will have to cancel with a family of 6 that's a lot of money. Offered my family a cruise for the same price but they want to wait. Did I mention it's driving me insane. :eek:

Alaska Airlines offers refunds if the price ever goes down. So I always book with them as soon as I've made up my mind. I then register the flight and price with Yapta. They will check daily and if there is ever a price drop, they'll notify you. You can then fill out a short form on Alaska's website and get your price adjustment. Very handy, and takes all the guesswork out of it, so much so that I fly with Alaska exclusively.

Not sure if other airlines offer anything similar, but it's worth looking into.

I hope you're able to get a cheaper flight! We paid just under $800 for the two of us to fly from Seattle to Oahu in April two years ago, which we thought was pretty good. I've seen better, though, now that it's something I look for.

I was looking into a future trip last year and signed up with Alaskan Air. I get price updates often and a few months back they were showning under $700. From Newark/NYC. But then I remember seeing them go up to like $850.

From my research....under $700 bargain... Under $850 very good...$1000 average if you do not book early ...like 6 months out.

Check out Alaskan Air... I also have airfare alerts from Trip Advisor....I think the alerts are a great way to help with your plans.

But it is also good to research fares before you book the rooms, so you know what is a good fare when you see one.

Good luck :thumbsup2

Airfare to Hawaii is WAAAY up this year over last year. We had orig. planned our trip to DL / Aulani & Maui for last August then had to cancel at the last minute due to a medical emergency with our DS. We had booked on 3 diff. airlines and each airline had their own cancelation policy for us to deal with - thankfully we didn't lose our shirts on it and we are re-planning the trip for this summer. But because I just booked LAST January and again THIS January I know exactly how much higher everything is.

I have heard good things about Alaska Airline and last year they were by far the cheapest for some of our flights and they had itineraries I liked (a flight back to DC from Maui with only 1 stop and less than 13 hrs. total travel time) so I booked some of our flights with them. In fact their first class seat was a couple hundred dollars less than United's coach seat!! When I had to cancel they told me there would be a $100 pp fee BUT they also gave me one full year from our orig. date of initial travel to rebook and fly!! That's why we're re-planning the trip for this year - we had $2,100 already tied up with them!! Also why I already went ahead and rebooked our flights with them when I found them for approx. the same amount as what we paid last year - I didn't want to mess around with that credit not being enough to cover this years flights. We are also using them from DC to LAX.

Even our little one-way inter-island hop from HNL to Maui on Hawaiian Airline was higher this year. Last year I paid $68 pp and this year I re-booked it for $86 pp (they did not charge me a penalty and had given me 1 year from our orig. purchase date to rebook our canceled flight from last year). I kept waiting for it to go down but it never did so on my last day before our credit expired I finally rebooked it.

We are stopping at DL for a few nights on the way which has made the entire trip more expensive and why I have booked us in separate "legs". Last year I was able to book our hop from LAX to HNL on Delta for $272 but this year it has been consistently running almost 2x that amount on pretty much all the airlines. I recently read an article on some Hawaiian website (while trying to research Allegiant Airline) and it basically said that all of the airlines have cut back on their total number of flights to / from Hawaii this year which has caused a supply & demand thing with the prices - and which is why they're all higher. Fewer flights = fewer seats = higher demand = higher prices. This is across the board on all airlines BTW. FYI Delta's cancelation policy from last year was that they didn't charge us a penalty fee but we had to rebook AND FLY somewhere by the 1 yr. purchase date (which was January 27) and which is why we went to FL over MLK weekend. I wasn't going to let that $816 go to waste!!

I came close to booking that flight from LAX to HNL on Allegiant because it was running just a few $$ over $200 but I wasn't satisified with what I found out about them. They don't fly the route every day and when they do fly it's only 1 flight per day and they HAVE been known to cancel a flight from time to time which has left people stranded. I wasn't willing to take that gamble. We have used Hawaiian Airline on previous trips and are members of their FF program so I receive emails from them. A couple of weeks ago I received an email saying that effective Aug. 1st they are starting a "comfort plus" section on these flights so I priced it out. While it WAS $60 higher than their reg. coach seats it includes 5" more legroom, a pillow & blanket, "free" entertainment, priority boarding and an AC power outlet so I compared it to the other airlines and it was only $2 more than Delta's coach seats so I went for it and booked it!! It's a limited # of rows and I figured the extra 5" of legroom would be nice for a 5 1/2 hr. flight. When we went to FL on Delta last month the seat in front of me was so close that with my aging eyesight (and even WITH my progressive lenses) I couldn't read what was written on the top of the tray table on the seat in front of me. :eek: THAT IS TOOOOO FREAKING CLOSE!! So I paid $534 pp for that one-way flight which is a LOT higher than what I WANTED to pay. But today, it was up $39 from that so I am glad I went ahead and booked. Last year I watched after I booked and none of the flights I booked ever came down. They only went UP. I would be jumping out of my skin to wait until 3 months out to book our airfare!! In comparison to that flight from LAX to HNL that I paid $534 for I only paid $493 for our flight home from Maui on Alaska Air!! CRAZY.

FYI true to my screen name, I am pretty darned anal retentive and I watch not only kayak.com but airfarewatchdog.com, the airline matrix website AND each airlines individual website. I will say that there have been times when comparing this one to that one that I have found Hawaiian Airline to sometimes have cheaper fares directly on their website that were not reflected on kayak etc. For example lately kayak has been showing that inter-island hop we booked at $92 but it's still $86 on their website. So while they often DO match I would say to always, always check them directly too.:thumbsup2

We are flying Alaska to Hawaii. However rather than flying out of Seattle, we are flying out of Bellingham and saving hundreds of dollars. We're also doing midweek flights.

I came close to booking that flight from LAX to HNL on Allegiant because it was running just a few $$ over $200 but I wasn't satisified with what I found out about them. They don't fly the route every day and when they do fly it's only 1 flight per day and they HAVE been known to cancel a flight from time to time which has left people stranded. I wasn't willing to take that gamble.

I flew Allegiant from Bellingham to Las Vegas once. It wasn't bad, but they do nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING, including seat assignments. As long as you know that going in, it's not bad, and being willing to pay for an exit row seat yielded a very comfortable flight to Vegas and back. We literally packed everything into ONE carry-on for the two of us, though, which was a bit cramped.

That said, the planes are clean, the staff friendly, and the ($5) snacks were large and very good. I'd fly again if I could get a REALLY good deal to offset the fees, but probably only on a trip where I could pack light.

I flew Allegiant from Bellingham to Las Vegas once. It wasn't bad, but they do nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING, including seat assignments. As long as you know that going in, it's not bad, and being willing to pay for an exit row seat yielded a very comfortable flight to Vegas and back. We literally packed everything into ONE carry-on for the two of us, though, which was a bit cramped.

That said, the planes are clean, the staff friendly, and the ($5) snacks were large and very good. I'd fly again if I could get a REALLY good deal to offset the fees, but probably only on a trip where I could pack light.

I had factored in $25 per carry-on, $35 per checked bag (checked bag fees vary depending on the flight and that one was $35 per) PLUS their checked bag weight limit is only 40 Lbs so I added an extra $50 for excess weight, $14 for seat assignments and $13 for some food and they were STILL like $160 cheaper than the next guy (Hawaiian). What I WASN'T comfortable with were the reviews I found (mostly 1 and 2 stars out of 10).:scared1: Then to seal the deal when I read the reports of canceled flights and stranded Hawaii pax I couldn't live with booking them. Esp. since they don't even fly the route every day. That was more risk than I was willing to put into their cheap price.

I see that they fly out of Hagerstown, MD which is a small regional airport about 45 min. from where we live. I think they fly into Sanford or something not MCO so I might be willing to give them a shot on a budget WDW trip sometime (except we don't normally rent a car so not going in & out of MCO would mess up using DME). We often use carry-ons only for WDW if it's not an extended trip so it's something to keep in mind.

Don't forget about San Diego. I have several friends who have flown out of San Diego versus LA and have saved $100-300 going that route!

Alaska Airlines offers refunds if the price ever goes down. So I always book with them as soon as I've made up my mind. I then register the flight and price with Yapta. They will check daily and if there is ever a price drop, they'll notify you. You can then fill out a short form on Alaska's website and get your price adjustment. Very handy, and takes all the guesswork out of it, so much so that I fly with Alaska exclusively.

Not sure if other airlines offer anything similar, but it's worth looking into.

I hope you're able to get a cheaper flight! We paid just under $800 for the two of us to fly from Seattle to Oahu in April two years ago, which we thought was pretty good. I've seen better, though, now that it's something I look for.

SuperRob - Is it any fair that this happens with? Or does it have to be one of the more expensive refundable fares?

My friends - a husband/wife team - are first officers for Alaska, and based on what they have said about working for, they are a good airline.

We are in the waiting game too. Flights from the LA area are running about $700 right now... Ugh...

I'm in the same boat as you. Playing the waiting game. Not happy, wish I bought but husband wanted me to wait. The fares are crazy high. !,500 for out r/T fares out of NY. If they don't go down we will have to cancel with a family of 6 that's a lot of money. Offered my family a cruise for the same price but they want to wait. Did I mention it's driving me insane. :eek:

Just got a airfare alert from trip advisor with airfare averaging $710 around trip from NYC for April-June

Just an FYI...

We were looking to fly out of Tucson or Phoenix either in March or June. In January I saw Phx to Honolulu non-stop for $401 pp for March and we jumped on it. Its on US Airways. So we are going for Spring Break. :cool1:

I've still been getting Kayak notices for June and I haven't seen anything lower than $597 out of Phx. So I think we got a good deal.

I wish we could have flown Hawaiian Airlines but it was always $200+ more per person out of Phx and $300-$400 more per person to fly out of Tucson. Flying out of Tucson is always more expensive so we end up driving to Phx.

We were only going to Hawaii if we got airfare for $400 or lower pp and we did! Otherwise we would have been vacationing elsewhere this year.

I just wanted to mention that if you can fly mid-week (or anything other than Fri, Sat & Sun) you can usually save a significant amount of money. That's how we picked our dates to book the trip - I was trying to keep our flights that we were rebooking on Alaska Air to the same amount as what we paid last year in order to not go over the credit we had coming to us. The only way to do it was to fly anything but Fri, Sat or Sun. At the same time tho I sorta screwed ourselves because then we ended up needing to fly from LAX to HNL on a Friday and the rates are significantly higher than Tues, Wed or Thurs. Ah well, at least I was able to keep our AK Air flights to about the same amount.

But so anyway, I just wanted to mention if you haven't booked Aulani yet try watching weekday airfares and do that instead.

I just booked our flights today on Hawaiian from Sacramento...$900+ each. Ouch!

I just booked our flights today on Hawaiian from Sacramento...$900+ each. Ouch!

:scared1: That IS pretty high from CA!! But just be glad you're not us! Our total this year is $1,334 pp (that is DC to LA with a 3 n stop-over then LA to HNL then HNL to Maui and Maui back to DC). This is by far the highest we've ever paid for flights anywhere. If prices keep going up like that this may be our last trip to Hawaii.:sad: It's just to costly to GET there. We will be sure to savor the trip...

Curious about the Alaska Air refund for price drop too! Is it only for the most expensive option or the cheapest fare as well?

We are not going to Aulani, but Maui instead. San Diego-Maui on Alaska seems like the cheapest for us.

Good luck to everyone hoping for lower prices on flights to Hawaii. We go in October so I keep watching and hoping for a price drop!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter