Florida water

Disney Skeptic

Earning My Ears
I'm going on my first trip to WDW in May and I've been told (and have read) that the tap water in Florida is🤮. Tastes foul apparently. I know there is always the option of buying bottled water, or getting refills at counter service, but is it feasible to take a water filtration jug with you? We're staying at OKW so it'd be easy to leave it in the fridge overnight and refill drinking bottles in the mornings before heading out to the parks.

Any advice?

We actually bring a full pitcher and filter and keep it in the fridge. We have a Pur, but same concept as a Brita. You do need to keep the filter in the package and soak it once you arrive. But it works and we have chilled water to drink out of a glass when we're in the room, too. The pitcher is something we already had - I think it's old enough that the individual bottles weren't a thing yet.

It's not the best tasting water I've ever had, but it's definitely not the worst (hello, Providence, RI). I wouldn't bother carrying bottles around the parks, the free water you can grab at QS is usually filtered.

The sulfur water bothers some people more than others depending on tastes and digestion.
We like to freeze some water bottles and bring them into the park with us.

We bring our zero water pitcher so we have water for the coffee maker and to fill our water bottles. The water from the QS places tastes great and is free.

We have brita water bottles that we use in the parks. We also try to fill them at the water bottle filling stations whenever possible.

Totally agree water is awful in Florida

I live in Georgia and it’s just as bad here
which is why I buy cases of bottle water to use in my home

Funny, I just wrote about this in another board. When we were at Pop and Coronado Springs over Christmas the tap water tasted (and smelled) like normal, spring-like tap water. No awful taste. No repulsive smell. I was drinking it like crazy, straight from the sink. They must have changed something.

Funny, I just wrote about this in another board. When we were at Pop and Coronado Springs over Christmas the tap water tasted (and smelled) like normal, spring-like tap water. No awful taste. No repulsive smell. I was drinking it like crazy, straight from the sink. They must have changed something.
Lol. You may be the first.

LOL... nope. Didn't change a thing. FL water is FL water and it's not going anywhere or changing itself. Disney isn't installing massive filtration systems to filter the water prior to arriving to their resorts. They get plain old FL tap water. I was there at GDT Christmas week and then BWI New Years week. Same icky sulfur water as always. Maybe you had a cold, LOL

I agree that the water situation seems to have improved. I spent a lifetime before WDW opened visiting family in the central Florida area, and the sulphur water was awful. But the last few times we've visited WDW, always staying onsite, the water is not an issue. I just assumed they have done like almost everyone else and installed whole-house water treatment systems ("house" in this case being House of Mouse).

I agree that the water situation seems to have improved. I spent a lifetime before WDW opened visiting family in the central Florida area, and the sulphur water was awful. But the last few times we've visited WDW, always staying onsite, the water is not an issue. I just assumed they have done like almost everyone else and installed whole-house water treatment systems ("house" in this case being House of Mouse).
Gosh, well this in encouraging at least. Fingers crossed as the many reports of the stinky sulphurous Florida water have not been particularly kind!! 🤔 Let's just say this is one aspect of WDW I've not been looking forward to on my first trip there!
;)

I got home from another trip last week. It was still Sulfur FL water. I promise. This was CL at GF. And when I stayed at CLGDT in December and CL BWI earlier in Jan, oh and another night at YC, all same old FL water.
What may happen is at different times the FL water can be less sulfur-y than other times, I've noticed this in the past. The level of smell/taste comes and goes but it's always there. This isn't due to anything Disney does but just the nature of the water.

I got home from another trip last week. It was still Sulfur FL water. I promise. This was CL at GF. And when I stayed at CLGDT in December and CL BWI earlier in Jan, oh and another night at YC, all same old FL water.
What may happen is at different times the FL water can be less sulfur-y than other times, I've noticed this in the past. The level of smell/taste comes and goes but it's always there. This isn't due to anything Disney does but just the nature of the water.
If I had to guess, the sulfur in the aquifers gets more/less concentrated depending on usage, precipitation, heat, construction, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter