Flu?

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
I'm not typically germ-phobic. We have cruised a lot. We know to wash hands often and always use the wipes given at meal times. My husband is taking our youngest 2 on a cruise in a couple weeks (3 day Dream). I will not be in the country when they go. I am trying to not be an alarmist but....

Have the ships been hit hard? Any other tips on keeping everyone as healthy as possible. As I said, we've sailed a lot. We've caught a few viruses onboard. It happens. Our 3rd child, years back, did catch Influenza onboard (the night before we left the ship). The media is hyping up the flu and I'm just trying to keep myself rational....especially hard because I won't be there (or even anywhere close to home).

Thanks...
Jess

I'm not typically germ-phobic. We have cruised a lot. We know to wash hands often and always use the wipes given at meal times. My husband is taking our youngest 2 on a cruise in a couple weeks (3 day Dream). I will not be in the country when they go. I am trying to not be an alarmist but....

Have the ships been hit hard? Any other tips on keeping everyone as healthy as possible. As I said, we've sailed a lot. We've caught a few viruses onboard. It happens. Our 3rd child, years back, did catch Influenza onboard (the night before we left the ship). The media is hyping up the flu and I'm just trying to keep myself rational....especially hard because I won't be there (or even anywhere close to home).

Thanks...
Jess
Chances are they won't catch anything. And the good news is, you definitely won't catch anything on the ship because you're not going. LOL

Last edited:
If your children do catch the flu they probably won't have symptoms until they are off the ship, and hopefully you will be home by then.

Flu shot if they haven't gotten it yet. It takes 2 weeks before it will protect you. We always cruise this time of year, so far we've never gotten the flu, we always get the flu shot, but I'm always nervous.

If your children do catch the flu they probably won't have symptoms until they are off the ship, and hopefully you will be home by then.

They are going from the ship to the parks for 2 days. I won’t be home for almost a week after they get back.

They give out bacterial wipes like nobody’s business on those boats. I wouldn’t worry. I would think your more likely to pick up something in Disney world than the ship. I wouldn’t worry.

They give out bacterial wipes like nobody’s business on those boats. I wouldn’t worry. I would think your more likely to pick up something in Disney world than the ship. I wouldn’t worry.
lol, my kids joke that their most prolific memory of the cruise was hearing the "chhhhhk" noise of a CM pulling a wipe out of a container to hand to each guest.

Thanks...
Jess
They are more likely to get it at school than on a cruise. I'm an elementary school teacher and have 3 students out for the flu right now, and my class is not unusual. Teachers and administrators are out, too. It's running rampant here.

The bright side is, it's just the flu. For most people, it comes and then it goes, and you move on after a few days. If you've got a doctor who will swiftly prescribe Tamiflu, you can really reduce the effects of the flu. It works, and the earlier you take it, the more effective it is.

The bright side is, it's just the flu. For most people, it comes and then it goes, and you move on after a few days. If you've got a doctor who will swiftly prescribe Tamiflu, you can really reduce the effects of the flu. It works, and the earlier you take it, the more effective it is.
The issue is OPs husband/kids are doing a 3 night cruise. By the time they "move on" the cruise will be over. And I'm not sure the doctor onboard has Tamiflu. I hope I'm wrong.

The issue is OPs husband/kids are doing a 3 night cruise. By the time they "move on" the cruise will be over. And I'm not sure the doctor onboard has Tamiflu. I hope I'm wrong.
I just meant that in general the flu is not a big deal, regardless of when they get it. I wouldn't expect a ship doctor to hand out Tamiflu as it can be fairly expensive.

They are more likely to get it at school than on a cruise. I'm an elementary school teacher and have 3 students out for the flu right now, and my class is not unusual. Teachers and administrators are out, too. It's running rampant here.

I've worked in healthcare for 20 years. I've never seen anyone die from the flu. I'm sure it happens, but it's rare and the media likes to sensationalize it.. I've taken care of many flu victims this year. Most of them came in for other things and were asymptomatic for flu symptoms even though they tested positive. The flu is bad this year there's no doubt about it, but it's not the zombie apocalypse. It happens every year...most people are sick for a week and then they are fine.

I just meant that the flu is not a big deal, regardless of when they get it.
It can be a big deal. I thought I was going to die when I had the flu last. And I was pregnant at the time. I would hope anyone suffering with the flu while on a cruise would be spending their day in the room, and not out an about infecting others. Hopefully, if they exhibit symptoms prior to boarding they would not even get on the ship.

I've worked in healthcare for 20 years. I've never seen anyone die from the flu. I'm sure it happens, but it's rare and the media likes to sensationalize it.. I've taken care of many flu victims this year. Most of them came in for other things and were asymptomatic for flu symptoms even though they tested positive. The flu is bad this year there's no doubt about it, but it's not the zombie apocalypse. It happens every year...most people are sick for a week and then they are fine.
I generally agree with that, although I take pains to avoid and minimize it, because I did get hit with an extremely violent strain about 15 years ago. In fact, looking back I suspect that I actually had the Spanish flu, as it hit me like a ton of bricks within just a few hours, I was in severe pain for days, and my lungs had so much fluid in them that I couldn't lay flat without feeling like I would drown. Not the usual simple bout of flu at all. Developed pneumonia, lost 10 pounds, and wasn't strong again for about a month. And naturally, I caught it at school. The joys of teaching...

But it's true that most cases of flu aren't nearly so severe.

Last edited:
Get flu shots if you can. While it's not for this specific strain it will help body fight it off more. But honestly just wash hands and hope for the best? It's more if you do get it then take steps like hydration and other things.

I will just say here in New Hampshire the flu is horrible this year. (Or at least seems like it). A 38 year old mother of 4 just died recently of sepsis related to flu. She had been prescribed tamiflu but did not take it because she was concerned of side effects. I have small children. We have all gotten the flu shot and I just constantly remind my oldest (in first grade) to wash her hands, cover her cough with her elbow. Not much I can tell the 22 month old. :) Just sharing. I wouldn't worry too much about it just take precautions and in my opinion get the shot for them.

've worked in healthcare for 20 years. I've never seen anyone die from the flu. I'm sure it happens, but it's rare and the media likes to sensationalize it.

I just want to jump in here with a different perspective. I agree that OP doesn't need to be TOO concerned about the flu. I also understand that the OP is going to worry some, no matter what. It may not be rational, but it is perfectly reasonable.

Here are some facts. Thousands of people in the United States die every year from the flu (often 10s of thousands). That is not hype. It is fact. Mostly the very old or the very young, or people with other conditions that make their immune systems weak. Having said that, it is still rare, especially for people that don't fit into these categories.

It is also fact that this year's flu season is especially intense (in the US and around the world) and that the prevalent flu strain this year has been associated with more deaths and complications in past years.

Now for the good news: Most people will be fine. Cruise ships are particularly good at keeping things clean and controlling the spread of disease. They screen people as they board (not fool-proof, but it helps), they offer wipes A LOT (use them!), they act quickly when someone on board has contagious symptoms.

There are plenty of other things you can do to help. Wash hands regularly. Try to keep young hands out of their mouths. And yes, get a flu shot.

It is more likely (but still not likely) that they will get flu symptoms before the trip, and thus trip insurance is a really good idea. If they happen to get sick during the trip, that does stink, but they can still have fun (free room service, free Disney movies in the stateroom, etc.)

I know you will still worry. That is fine, but you asked for rational information, and I am giving you as much rational information as I have.

I hope they have a great trip, and afterwards, you can (hopefully) look back that this thread and chuckle.

I would recommend buying Oscillococcinum and sending it on the cruise with your husband. It is the homeopathic version of tamiflu. Does the same thing without all the yucky side effects. You can take it daily as a preventative and it also helps to lessen severity and symptoms should they get the flu. It's expensive but has worked great for my family for years. I'd also recommend taking elderberry syrup daily before and while on the cruise to help boost immunity. Hope they have a wonderful time!

yes, the flu is really bad this year...
yes there is a risk of getting it anywhere...
especially among typhoid mary little children who are disease carriers in general..

flu is airborne, so all the handwipes in the world aren't going to really do much good..

if you're flying in, the airplane is probably the biggest risk where you're held hostage in a small metal tube with other possibly sick people breathing all over your air...

get the flu vaccine.....it's not very effective this year for sure, but it's still better than nothing....(i was vaccinated and still got the flu a few weeks back....haven't been that sick in years....and it lasted a full 3 weeks)...

many of the deaths this year have been among the unvaccinated...

you can't live in a box..

you can get the flu anywhere, any time....and you can get lots of other things...

you have to live your life.....but getting vaccinated still helps with the odds...

yes, the flu is really bad this year...getting vaccinated still helps with the odds...
The vaccine has the wrong strain, and a great many vaccinated people, such as yourself, are getting the full-blown flu anyway, so the vaccine has not shown itself to be in any way beneficial this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter