Fly into Melbourne

Luvdisney

DIS Veteran
I was looking at Travelocity for Air fares for a family of 4 to Orlando. Cheapest Fare I could find flying from Washington to Orlando was 160.00 Rd trip for mid August. But Travelocity had an alternate to fly into Melbourne and the fare was $98.00 Rd trip per person. Has anyone flown into Melbourne then driven to Orlando? If so, how long is the trip? Was it an easy drive? Would you recommend it or is it worth the extra dough to fly to Orlando? :rolleyes:

Hi! As an employee for the Melbourne Airport Authority, I am so pleased that you are considering the Melbourne International Airport.

As a resident of Melbourne, I love having this airport at my disposal. I just wish the whole community felt this way. Oh well, their loss.

I invite you to visit our website at www.mlbair.com

MLB is a smaller airport (but we are GROWING) and we are served by Delta Air Lines(and its subsidiary ASA and soon Comair), Contintental Airlines and Spirit Airlines.

It is such a convenient airport as it is only a short walk from loading bridge to baggage claim. In fact you pass the car rental counter on the way to baggage claim. Everything is centrally located. There are very small lines (if a line at all) at the counters and it is never crowded (not that we wouldn't like some lines or some crowds. LOL). The airport has a very tropical feel to it.

Okay, the downside. We are located about 60 miles from WDW. There are different routes that you can take. I'm not sure what the car rental agency will tell you. I would not go on 192 as it is a two-lane highway a good portion of the way, which in my opinion is not very safe. We usually travel I-95 to the Beeline (State Road 528) to I-4, which takes your to WDW. It is a fairly easy route and everything is clearly marked as this is such a tourist destination. The Beeline is a toll road, but I believe the tolls are only about $3.00 for the whole way. It usually takes us an hour and a half (sometimes less) depending on traffic.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. Disney sometimes puts through DCL passengers MLB is the closest commercial airport to the port.

Gee, I wished i lived in 'Melbourne" Florida, but i live in 'Melbourne', Australia..........lol

I love using the smaller airports! You save a pretty good bit of time just doing that. We flew out of Sarasota one year, and it was great (it's probably grown by now). I went to college in West Palm Beach and their airport was great (it's also probably a lot bigger by now - it has been a long time!). I live midway between a large airport and a smaller airport (2 gates! - the flight goes on to the same larger airport from there before going on to my destination). Whenever the fare is similar, I prefer using the smaller one. It's just so much easier and less time consuming.

I got a great rate to fly into Tampa (118.00 round trip from Nashville) on my trip to Universal last month, but really by the time I rented a car, I ended up paying more than I would have just flying into Orlando. Also, the stress factor would have been a lot less if I had flown into Orlando to begin with. So consider all of your options!

Kim:wave: :wave: :wave:

Yuck, you still had to deal with a big airport, and then that drive on I-4, which seems to be constantly under construction. Plus Tampa traffic can be nuts.

The drive from Melbourne is not anywhere near that craziness. Again, all things considered, you have to determine what is most important to you. By flying into Orlando, you are saving about 40 to 45 minutes of driving (of course I've been known to be able to get from Melbourne to MCO in about 30 minutes, but I wouldn't recommend it. Police Officers frown upon it. ;) )
But, you also will have to deal with crowds, lines at the car rental counter, and less personal attention.

Melbourne is great - stay an extra day or two and enjoy the FANTASTIC beaches.

We are flying into Orlando but driving out to Melbourne specifically for some great beach time before we head on back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter