Flying Fish or California Grill?

fantasia73

Mouseketeer
My family (all adults) will be in Orlando the first week of November for my 30th birthday. We're staying at the Hard Rock Hotel and spending most of our time at Universal Stuios and Islands of Adventure. One night we plan to head over to Disney and eat a good meal and check out some of the hotels. I am very torn between eating at the Flying Fish or eating at the California Grill. I've eaten at both places, but my parents have never been to either one. I have reservations for both of them . . . Flying Fish Friday night, California Grill Saturday night. Will there be fireworks at the Magic Kingdom on Saturday night? Which restaurant would you choose? Money's not a factor . . . it's my birthday!!!

Flying Fish is incredible, don't get me wrong.
But Cal Grill has that awesome view.

Sat., Nov. 8th, the brand new WISHES fireworks in Magic Kingdom are at 10:00.

Saw these last week and they go about 12 minutes, and are super!

There's always someone in the group who has to go the other direction. I agree the view from CG is great but our last visit left a lot to be desired. The dinningroom was so noisey we could hardly hear each other across the table. The waiter was inattentive almost to the point of being rude and we had very long waits between courses. I vote for the Flying Fish (we'll be eating there on Monday) and I'm pretty sure you can see most of Illuminations from the Boardwalk.

I love both restaurants. Both have great menus, although FF definitely has more fish on the menu. Personally, our last visit to CG was less than awesome. Not the food mind you, it was great. But we made plans to visit CG to try and catch the fireworks. The restaurant was so loud on that particular night that it was very disappointing. We could barely hear the soundtrack and ended up rushing outside to see it from there. Unlike the old days, it appears that *everybody* is trying to do the same thing...get a table at CG during the fireworks. And now that they use the entire lounge area to the right as additional dining space it can get quite loud. I mean, families having entire meals on a coffee table is kind of crazy IMHO. We also noticed that many people just enter the restaurant and walk right outside to the observation deck. I guess most of them are staying at the Contemp. It's kind of like a bus station or something...lol. The view *is* spectacular though. If we ever plan to have dinner at CG on a fireworks night again, I'd make my ressie for about 10 minutes after the fireworks. Get there a bit early, grab a cocktail and watch the fireworks from the observation deck. You'll have a much better shot at a window seat then and the view is still quite nice.

This summer my DH and I had a short get away weekend and we were able to try both Flying Fish and California Grill. We LOVED LOVED LOVED the Flying Fish. We sat at the "chef's counter" I guess it would be called, and had an awesome server, and just loved the entire meal!!

We then went to California Grill. Waited almost 2 hours for our table, with a PS, but it really was not a big deal because we were just enjoying our time. Someone came over to us and asked us our name and said our pager had been going off for 1/2 hour:confused: It never flashed. Well, no biggie...except I had watched about 3 window tables sit there empty and then people seated at them, so I wondered if maybe one of them had been ours:( They ask us if we have ever been there before and we said no, and we were so excited, they said oh we have a "great table" ;) for you in the wine room where we could see the water, etc etc. I was excited, but confused as to why we were walking to what seemed like the other side of the restaurant, and were seated in this room with about 8 other tables at the ONE table that was 1 side a mirror and the other side the servers station on the other side of the glass. The only water view was that of the goblet on the table across the room LOL. It was a very funny situation, and could have been my few glasses of wine kicking in:crazy: but we still managed to have a great meal, and we got a lot of mileage out of the "great table;) " line. The food was good, I did get the pork tenderlion.

But that said, we are definatley going back to Flying Fish in December with DS and hope to sit in the same area as our first time!!

Good luck, sorry so long winded, just getting a kick out retelling that story LOL!

No contest--CA Grill!! It such a wonderful restaurant w/ great views, great service and wonderful food. Especially if this is a special dniner for your birthday. I'm sorry to hear that some people have had a bad experience lately. I've been there twice and both times it was great. The first time we even got a table right up front against the windows directly in front of Cinderella's Castle. I agree that a bad table might really make this place less special. I'm going again shortly, so keep your fingers crossed that I don't have a bad experience.

For great food...go to flying fish

For ok food and a nice view go to CA Grill.

We've been to CA Grill at least 8 or 9 times and LOVE it.

We're went to FF 1 time and also loved it.

For food, I would say CA Grill is my favorite, and the view is spectacular.

The advantage I think FF has for a group birthday celebration is the BoardWalk. There is lot's of entertainment and places to grab a birthday beer (ESPN, Big River Grill), not to mention 2 clubs (Jellyrolls and Atlantic Dance).

Unless of course you want to go to Magic Kingdom via the monorail at the contemporary afterward...

california grill without a doubt. depending on where they seat you, you'll get an awesome view of cinderella castle. i don't know what the schedule for fireworks will be like but you never know. the view will be amazing, i can imagine. when rob and i had dinner there the night he proposed, we had an excellent view. i don't remember if fireworks went off that night. if they did, we missed them cause we headed back to our hotel about 9. you'll love california grill for you b-day. guaranteed.

I was disappointed with FF. I had the potato-wrapped fish and thought it was not much more than a fancy fish fry, and soggy, once the sauce set in. I would go back, but not in a hurry.

CG, though, is a definite favorite. It is louder here, but I love the exciting atmosphere. The wine room is quieter, but I think it's not as interesting. Wherever you sit, though, the food is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter