flying from NJ to DL---which airport/airline?

KyMattDisney

Mouseketeer
Hi there...this will be our first trip to DL (WDW veterans, DVC members)..anyway we live in south Jersey so debating on where to fly out and in to:

Should we fly out of Newark or Philly?

We will be starting our vacation (June 24-July 3rd) in San Diego for 4 days and then 6 days in the DL area..staying at DLH)....

Considering flying into SD and out of Orange County..right now leaving from Newark on Continental is about $300 per person roundtrip......

Any other flight suggestions or airlines..what about experiencing flying to CA from Philly?

There will be 4 of us...me, DH, and 2 DS ages 10 & 5..thanks :hourglass

Well, LAX is the main airport to fly into. There are smaller airports around to consider as well like John Wayne in Orange County or Long Beach Airport. You should probably check into flights from your area and see if they service these last 2 airports. From my experience, Jet Blue or Southwest Airlines are price competitive. I have heard of others having good experiences with America West but I wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole. I can fill you in later if you would like. For me, I prefer direct flights. So, I'll look into these first. I hope this helps a bit...

We're in Northern NJ. We got airfare out of Newark for the middle of August for $292 on Continental. We are flying into John Wayne.

Hi there,

We're from South Jersey and are heading out on a return trip to DL this August. We have ended up booking a package with Disney travel, so our air-fare is a little higher than we would like, but we didn't have to pay for it all right now. We were getting prices on line, I think for American at $220 from Philly to Orange County. I'll check with my DW and see how she was pulling up quotes.

We haven't been out there in over 10 years, but in the past we have found it easier to fly in and out of John Wayne (Orange County) since it's closer to DL. So on your return trip, you'll want to keep that in mind. And keep in mind the time you'll be leaving for the air port, traffic to LAX can add ALOT of time to that trip.

IMO, the most important thing when traveling to the West Coast is non-stop flights. I live in Central NJ, about 40 minutes from EWR and 60 minutes from PHL, so we really have the ideal place to compare airfares. We usually end up flying out of PHL, since it usually ends up being cheaper. For our trip this summer to CA, we are flying out of EWR. Mainly because the flight times were better, and I didn't want to deal with the cattle call and possibly having my family be separated for a 6 hour flight. We could have flown Southwest and saved about $400, but to me it wasn't worth it. We're flying in/out of LAX because that was the cheapest and to get into Orange County on either Southwest or Continental, either involved connections, or a late afternoon flight, neither were that attractive to me. Since my kids are younger than yours (7 and 4) taking a flight that would land around 8PM at night PDT was too late for them, since it's 11 EDT for them, WAY past their bedtime. We're also going DL first, then heading to San Diego, though if we had done San Diego first, I would have flown into San Diego first, since there is a good non-stop flight time on Continental. I booked our tickets for our trip July 2 - July 16 back in December and paid $306 roundtrip, my flights have gone up$40 per person since I've booked.

KyMattDisney, a little more info. My wife was searching cheaptickets.com from PHL to SNA, Orange County, and was coming up with flights for Delta and Amercian. They did and the ones we got, involve connections in Dallas. But on the way out we have an early flight and are scheduled in Orange county at 10:30 am, PDT. Our flight out is in the afternoon, so we get home kind of late, but not too bad.

Just some additional info.

Don't know if this helps, but we will be (hopefully) flying Jet Blue out of JFK. I don't know if that is an option for you. I also don't know if Jet Blue is at Newark? Anyway, Jet Blue flies into both San Diego and Long Beach non-stop, and they have TVs at every seat. Taking 2 kids on a 6 hour flight, that is important to us. Also, they don't charge extra for the two different airports like some airlines do.

Before you decide, check out Spirt arilines out of Atlantic City. Otherwise, I think Philly would be easier. Ontario, LAX, John Wayne are frequently mentioned as well as San Diego, depending on what's on your agenda. Good luck!

John Wayne/Orange County Air port. It think the code is SNA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter