Flying with Prescription Meds

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
Our family has a variety of prescription meds we need for allergies, asthma, high blood pressure, acid reflux and depression/anxiety.

Our meds are ordered through a mail order company and come in a 90 day supply in large bottles. To save space I really want to just take only what we need in those weekly pill reminder cases (one for each person).

Are we likely to have a problem with security if we are only carrying a weeks worth, or are they likely to want "proof" of what each pill is and that we have legal prescriptions? I am most worried about the Zoloft (depression/anxiety) prescription.

I am also taking a toiletry bag full of over the counter meds for "just in case": various cold and cough, tylenol, advil, Pepto type stuff. Any chance of problems with these (will have 2 boxes of Sudafed).

I've taken my pills with me in the 7 day cases .. no issues - no questions .

I have the same, getting a 90 day supply at a time.

When I travel I will put my morning medications in ziploc sandwich bags, one for each day of the trip. I will use eight day boxes for my evening and before bed.

If I will expect to be away from my room around dinner I will put that day's evening pills in the morning sandwich bag after I take the morning pills so I only have to carry the one day supply with me.

I also carry excess insulin syringes (so I have a couple of spares) and lots of sealed alcohol swabs as well as diabetes testing supplies

I have never had any problems and there is no way I will ever check my medications; they are always in carry-on luggage.

I do not carry any copies of thprescriptions. However, I do have a card I make (in about 6 point type, which lists all my medications with both breand and generic name, doseage, and when I take them. I print it on both sides and then seal it with tape, so if there are any questions I can provide them with a list and say here are the medications. Of course, any time I go to a doctor or hospital I can also pull this list out of my wallet and say "here is what I am taking". BTW, I print the list on bright green paper so it can stand out.

Legally, most airlines state that they require original prescription bottles. However, I've read where most folks flying within the US never have a problem traveling with their prescriptions in alternate containers. However, if you were flying overseas, I would definitely bring the prescription bottles.

Now, if you have any Class II?? narcotics or anything that might be considered high value street drugs, I would keep those in original bottles.

Also, try contacting your mail order place, maybe they can send you an extra set of labels to put on some smaller bottles.

Our local pharmacy used to do this for my son when he was on ADHD medication, they would give me an extra bottle with a label, so I could have a labeled bottle at home and leave a labeled bottle at school.

Carol

This trip to disney I was carrying Ativan (Lorazipam) which has a "high street value" (no i dont sell it :goodvibes ) I had 1/2 in a plastic baggie and 1/2 in the container (a little paranoid). They never questioned me or looked in my bag.

I wouldnt worry about it.

The airlines do request that all prescriptions meds are in their original containers. I own a business that takes special needs adults on trips. We always request that meds come in their original containers. I have a few competitors that request their travelers to place meds in small coin envelopes according to dosage times. (My competitors do lots of airline trips and have been doing it this way for years.) We did have a problem one time and boy was I glad that we had the original containers. One of my guys who uses a wheelchair ran into a problem at security. He is unable to stand and walk through the detector. The security agent found residue on my guy's hand and it tested postive for glycerin. I had given him meds before he got out of the van and apparently they were able to pick up a trace of the med. I had to show them the original container, his ID and boarding pass. It took a few extra minutes because they had to fill out a form. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have that original container. I'm sure I would have eventually gotten it taken care of but it sure would have eaten up our bathroom and preboarding time. I just prefere to play if safe.

It is against the law to transport any medication not in its original labeled containor. Whether you are traveling by car, train or plane. If you were to be pulled over on the highway for speeding you could get arrested for drug trafficing and then have to go through the hassle (which you know is not illegeal) but some rookie cop want to get a ticket written, of proving otherwise.

Between my two kids and I, we take over two dozen Rx's, I put all the excess in ziploc bags and leave at home and count out enough plus a few extra for the trip and put those in the orignal containers and pack those in my backpack which I carry on the airplane.

cymomtx said:
It is against the law to transport any medication not in its original labeled containor. Whether you are traveling by car, train or plane.
I'm sorry but this sound like an Urban Legend. Could you please provide some citation as to the source. Since you mention plane and train it would have to be Federal. In that case, for car it would have to be interstate or then require state laws. :sad2:

I've never had any problem transporting medications outside of their containers here in the U.S., but it is a completely different story with international travel. There I not only have to use the original pharmacy labeled containers, I also bring a letter from my physician with all of the medications listed and the clinic phone number. I have had to show that along with the containers multiple times and so now I just bring the letter with me whenever we travel.

we took two sets of meds, dh is on diazepam, dihydrocodiene, kapake, epilim chrono syrup, naratriptin, amitrytaline and quinine.

we had the all in original boxes/bottles, one set in a sealed and labeled bag in his main luggage, one set in our carry on luggage, just in case (paranoid about losing his meds) we somehow lost our hand luggage.

we also took a prescription from his gp with everything listed on it.

We are from the UK and always take our son's Epilepsy medicine in our hand luggage and have never had any problems.

My son wears an insulin pump so the insulin in the pump is in a "reservoir" which is not the original container (insulin comes out of the bottle). So I can't believe either that he'd have to have his medicine in an original container at all times. Even going through airport security. In theory I could put enough insulin in his pump to go to WDW for a week and not actually take extra insulin (I wouldn't travel without backup supplies).

But I'm just saying...maybe the insulin in the pump doesn't count because it is a medical device? But it can't be illegal to transport insulin that way or it would be impossible for us to leave the house!

I like the idea of leaving most of the med (pills) packaged at home and bringing the rest in the original container when flying. I think do whatever you want when you drive. I also keep a separate written record of all my son's meds and the RX numbers in case we lost it somehow and I had to replace it all. At least I'd have a head start in remembering what to ask for. Some of it is rather detailed!

I travel a LOT, and I normally use a pillbox on domestic flights. Never had a problem. I *was* questioned briefly once over some new boxes of sudafed I purchased when in a state that doesn't regulate them as tightly as my own: I had 200 pills on me, 2 loose bottles of 100 tablets each. I guess the officer decided that it was unlikely that I was up to no good, since I willingly gave him a ton of identifying documentation; they let me go after 5 minutes, with my meds. Anyway, be careful about carrying large quantities of Sudafed.

If you are really concerned, call your pharmacist and ask for duplicate labels. You can then get small empty bottles from a regular pharmacy to put them on. Most pharmacies will do this for free for regular customers; the labels say "DUPLICATE LABEL" on them.

Cheshire Figment said:
I'm sorry but this sound like an Urban Legend. Could you please provide some citation as to the source. Since you mention plane and train it would have to be Federal. In that case, for car it would have to be interstate or then require state laws. :sad2:

I'll say I know for fact this is true is the state of texas as my father was in law enforcement here and this was taught to me at a young age.

cymomtx said:
I'll say I know for fact this is true is the state of texas as my father was in law enforcement here and this was taught to me at a young age.
Again, please provide a citation. States do not regulate aircraft or airlines. Also states do not regulate interstate rail. These are both Federal. Nothing against your father, but "law enforcement" is a large field and there is still lots of misinformation outstanding.

I have the same problem--I use a mail order pharmacy and get 3 month supplies at a time, which are very large containers. I simply can't take he original containers, I'd need another suitcase!

Trying to get a smaller bottle from my mail order pharmacy isn't worth the hassle. I tried once and got a smaller amount--a bottle for 30 pills, then it reset my perscription to 30 for a 3 month supply! what a hassle!

Whenever we get a new prescription we ask for a 2 week supply to be filled at our local pharmacy, then a 3 month prescription to send to the mail-order. Our insurance will pay for 2 weeks worth at a local pharmacy. We just make sure to keep those bottles! If they're a little dated, usually the pharmacy has no problem just giving us another bottle (no pills, just the bottle) with a more recent date. You might try that.

Or ask your mail order pharmacy for extra labels only. Then get empty bottles from a local pharmacy and apply the labels to it. However, you run the risk of screwing up your mail order refills again. Or try asking your doctor for enough samples to last the trip. Of course, they can't give samples for narcotics, such as pain meds. Perhaps your doctor could write another seperate perscription for the amount needed for the trip and you could fill it at a local pharmacy, but you'd have to get an insurance override to pay. Or just pay for it yourself. However, there's no easy answers!

In all our years of travel, we have not experienced any problems with medications not in their original containers. We have not been asked for prescription scripts.

We have had instances of more-than-routine security checks, literally unpacked everything, and examined all medical equipment and meds, but without problems.

We do carry info on our meds as Cheshire Figment describes, which has proven useful for quick replacements.

I asked my doctor to write our scripts on a paper for the airline. We have not flown yet but I have proof at least!

cymomtx said:

As a law enforcement officer myself in Wisconsin we do not arrest people who have prescription medication in non-prescription bottles. A law enforcement officer has to have reasonable belief of "drug trafficking” to make such an arrest. All medication falls under certain schedules. Having 100 pills of Tylenol would not constitute and arrest. Having 100 pills of Ridlin in a baggie would result in some questioning and verification of how and why a person has them but certainly would not in itself result in an arrest just because they are not in a prescription container. Having 5 pounds of marijuana would result in an arrest, as marijuana is in itself "illegal to possess".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter