Folding laundry...

CdnCarrie

DIS Veteran
Twice today I read a reference to watching tv while folding laundry.
I have never done this.

I just fold things as I take them out of laundry. And half the stuff needs hung up (blouses, hoodies) so I would never fold them anyhow. I just take them right up to the bedroom and put them away.

Now that the teens do their own laundry and we have recently got a newer capacity laundry machine I often only do one load (Sunday afternoon) plus maybe some sheets. I just take the stuff out of the laundry, go to the bedroom and put it away - fold, hang, etc.

So what is your workflow with laundry?

So far never in front of the tv. Clothes get folded right out of the laundry or if hung to dry, after that. Sometimes an unfolded pile gets carried to a bed, and items get folded there before they are put away. I guess I am not in one spot for a lengthy period of time.

I am WFH.

I throw the day before's cloths together with whatever I did my morning run into the washer each morning. Since I am doing laundry every day the load is very small and takes maybe 2-3 minutes to fold and put away.

Last edited:
I have never had a laundry room big enough to stand in and fold laundry (even when I was able/allowed to stand) I take the basket into the bedroom and fold it there while watching TV.

When I design my future house, I will have space in the laundry room and include a folding counter so that me housekeeper can do it in there ...oh yeah, my future house comes with a housekeeper too :rotfl2:

We currently do laundry twice a week, 2-3 loads each time. Our washer and dryer is in the basement, so we carry the dry clothes upstairs to fold and put away, usually with the TV on. Some items are hung up to dry in the basement.

I put my clothes on hangers directly from the dryer. Towels, pajamas, ect. get taken upstairs into a basket, dumped on the bed and folded and put away from there. There is not a tv in our bedroom.

For Me…

Underwear gets washed alone and gets put away shortly after it’s dry

Towels also gets washed alone and gets put away shortly after it’s dry

Clothes go in the dryer for a 1/2 hour - I take out items I don’t want wrinkled and hang them up to finish drying. The remainder (like pajamas) stays in the dryer and gets put away soon after it’s done drying.

I also have never folded laundry in front of the TV. The only work I do with the TV on is cook dinner and bake Christmas cookies (we have a TV in the kitchen). The family room TV never goes on until we are ready to sit in front of it.

Depends. Like yesterday did 3 loads of laundry. Folded and put away the first 2 loads, to free up the dryer. Third load is still sitting in the dryer, and probably will until I do more....or maybe since I'm thinking about it now, I'll put it away. I often do fold laundry w/ the TV on, and definitely when I decide to have an ironing day, watch tv while doing that.
our laundry room only has room for the 2 machines, and 1 wire shelf above them, and room for one small basket off to the side, which sometimes has to come out to open the dryer. it's really just a closet.....next house I'd love to have a real laundry room.

I was probably one of those. I almost always do my folding in my bedroom, on the bed and usually have the TV on. We are a family of 5 but 2 are in college. For years I did 1-2 loads per day most days (more when I did bedding). Now I generally do a load a day and can sometimes skip a day. I do hang some shirts, delicates and all bras to dry in the laundry room as they come out of the washer. The rest goes in the dryer and I carry the basket up to the bedroom when it’s dry and usually fold in the evening after everything else is done. I hang, fold and put away my things, my husbands things and for the kids I create a pile for each of them with their folded/hung items. I then call them to come get their laundry. I like them to check their stuff to make sure I separated it correctly. Younger two share some clothes and black leggings look similar so I can’t keep it all straight. Oldest DD is almost never here anymore and usually does her own when she is.

I have never done this.

I just fold things as I take them out of laundry. And half the stuff needs hung up (blouses, hoodies) so I would never fold them anyhow. I just take them right up to the bedroom and put them away.

Now that the teens do their own laundry and we have recently got a newer capacity laundry machine I often only do one load (Sunday afternoon) plus maybe some sheets. I just take the stuff out of the laundry, go to the bedroom and put it away - fold, hang, etc.

I love folding laundry. Out of the dryer into basket. Carry basket to bedroom and fold (usually with TV on). Nothing in our laundry has to hung up directly out of the dryer, so a short trip to the bedroom is fine before being hung up.

With a bad hip, bending over numerous times to fold at the dryer isn't really an option. And the garage/workshop just isn't as nice as inside my house, heat/cold wise.

I love folding laundry. Out of the dryer into basket. Carry basket to bedroom and fold (usually with TV on). Nothing in our laundry has to hung up directly out of the dryer, so a short trip to the bedroom is fine before being hung up.

With a bad hip, bending over numerous times to fold at the dryer isn't really an option. And the garage/workshop just isn't as nice as inside my house, heat/cold wise.
Do you fold all your shirts? I hang my blouses and hoodies. So no need to fold them.

Do you fold all your shirts? I hang my blouses and hoodies. So no need to fold them.
I have an extensive t-shirt collection, and that's what I wear mostly. Those are folded. For my "regular" blouses (and hubby's shirts), they are hung up when I get to the bedroom. Hoodies usually just go in the "coat closet" or hung on hooks by the front door.

The laundry room ( more like the laundry hallway), is right next to family room. I dump clothes from dryer into basket, take into family room , fold clothes. I’ll have three baskets. My clothes, DH clothes, and towels, sheets, etc.

I remember my mom ironing clothes while watching One life to live ,Days of my lives , or Ben Casey. So it’s tradition!

Last edited:
I do laundry once a week (2 of us). 4-5 batches.
I do not watch TV when folding. Laundry room is upstairs, TV is downstairs

When my 5 kids lived here, I did 2 - 3 loads a day. My laundry closet is not suitable for folding, I’d bring it to our bedroom and fold in different piles, put ours away and deliver piles to the kids. I either watched TVor talked on the phone. Most of my hanging stuff consists of cheap old navy tops that I was in the delicate cycle with other delicates and hang dry, my husbands dress shirts I’d try to grab in the basement and hang out of the dryer. Now if just do ours plus towels, same system but not daily.

I do one load of laundry once a week (just me, and yes everything gets washed together, don't have the time or patience to sort things out, never had a problem haha). I transport it all in a basket to and from the laundry room. I don't wear much that gets hung up, so I throw it all on the bed and fold it. If I'm lucky, I will put it away within 2-3 days of washing/drying, but it is often longer than that lol.

I have never done this.

Well first it has to sit in the dryer several days until we need to dry another load. The it migrates to the clean clothes hamper for another week or so. Then I take to the living room and watch TV as I fold and sit it on the coffee table. It sits there for three or four days or week and somebody takes it puts it up.

towels, etc-take basket into living room and fold as i watch tv

folded clothes-warm from the dryer and folded as i watch tv

casual hanger stuff-warm from dryer fold in half as i watch tv (and then they go on a hassock in master closet where i sit and put them on hangers to hang up

dressier hanger stuff-warm from dryer straight to hanger and put in closet.

I fold or hang everything as I take it out of the dryer. No tv in the laundry room/pantry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter