Folks who have taken an ECV on a Cruise Ship

SuprGro78

<font color=000099>Knows TF's are Wicked Cool
Hi, I am trying to get some info about how cruises handle people and ECV's. My dad needs his to get around, but he can walk short distances. I am sure getting around the ship would be no problem for him. What do you do with the ECV when in the room? Are there special Rooms?? Those rooms aren't usually very big in the categories we usually travel in. Just general info would be greatly appreciated.

We rented a scooter for my Aunt. We will be on the Magic on 2/14, just 4 days away!! When is your cruise? When we get back I will post how our trip went with the scooter. We will also have a wheelchair in our party. I know I have lots of questions, but will just take them as they come. We were unable to get a hanidcapped room since we booked on such short notice, just 3 weeks ago. We are also spending an extra week in Floriday, but will post as soon as I get back.

chrissy

Thanks Eek i sent you that email. Chrissy I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. We haven't decided to take one yet. I am trying to find out all the info I can so that my dad will consider going on one. Without the scooter it would be pointless he wouldn't be able to do much.

I'm hoping to read your trip report when you come back, chrissyt27.

dj

Our Scooter from Brevard medical was waiting for us at the port and we received the key at check-in. So far so good, but I am afraid things went down hill after that.
We were not in a handicap room so neither the scooter nor the wheelchair would fit in the cabin. It wasn’t a big deal as my grandmother and aunt can both walk short distances. We did fold up the wheelchair and stored it inside and the scooter was parked down the hall where there was also a plug.
We explored the ship and went to the Opening Variety show. We had dinner at 8:30 so we had an hour to explore. My grandmother and I separated from my aunt and we went our own way. We were to meet at Animators Pallet for dinner. While in line I ran into FairyGodmother, a fellow disboard member. My aunt had sent her to get me. She had made it off the elevator but her scooter had died. We pushed it to the wall where luckily there was a plug. I thought maybe it had not been fully charged. After dinner we made it to the room fine. She plugged in it and we forgot about it.
Sunday was Key West Day. We woke up early and went to Topsiders for breakfast. On the way back the scooter stated to die again. So we plugged it in again. We went for a swim and then went to lunch. After lunch we headed back to the room to get changed to go ashore. Since there is only room in the elevator for one, we always get separated. My aunt took forever getting back to the room. It turns out that the scooter started to smell like burnt rubber and it died down the hall, all the way forward and we were aft. We pushed it down the hall to our room.
First we called Brevard and left a message. When they called back they said that they were sorry for our situation but there was nothing they could do. The guy said that he knew that they were having problems with it, but though it had been fixed. Obviously not! She called Disney and explained our situation and even though they were not responsible they send a mechanic to look at it. And two hours later it was fixed. It was the brake. It was overheating and draining all the power.
I was worried about the scooter dying, but my aunt really wanted to go to Key West. It was a beautiful day although windy. We went to Duval street and got about 6 blocks away from the ship when the scooter started to go slow. We immediately turned around but only made it half a block before it was totally dead. My aunt pushed my grandmother and I pushed the scooter. I made it to the bridge back to the main strip where two boys from our ship helped me push it over the hill. Then I went ahead with my grandmother to see if anyone from the ship could help. No one from the gangway seemed to want to go help retrieve the scooter. Luckily another passenger also from the Magic pushed it back for my Aunt who was trying to do it herself. We left the scooter there at the gangway. Disney again tried to fix it. And it worked two more days before we gave up on it. We just kept plugging it in. We had Disney take it away and my aunt spent a majority of her time in the cabin. She had hurt her knee trying to push it back to the ship.
The scooter dying totally ruined her trip although we still made trips to the pool and to the shows and to dinner. She just had to stop and rest a lot. Disney even gave us a wheelchair, but there was only me to push.
Our cabin Stewart Daniel, was wonderful. He always made sure she had ice and one day even went got her bratwurst from deck 9 one day. Not being able to explore Key West and Mexico which she wanted to do was bad, but she relaxed in our room. Luckily we had a verandah so she could see outside.

Having a scooter was wonderful the day it worked. I think our trip would have gone very smoothly. We never had a problem getting around. The scooter fit everywhere we wanted to go. There was a wait for elevators, especially since we needed two. But we always got in eventually. I am hoping that it was just our luck with the scooter. They seemed apologetic and said they would refund the money, but it took two calls for them actually to do it. I think we may go with another company or just make sure the one they leave actually works.

chrissy

Sorry to hear about your bad fortune.
We don't have a lot of feedback about companies to rent from for cruises. From what I understand, the companies that rent for Orlando don't go down as far as the cruise.
Hope you have a better next trip.

Interesting, I had the same problem with my scooter I rented from Brevard! I thought it was just me, I could never give that thing enough charging to get going! I didnt complain because I thought that maybe it just wasnt charged up before the cruise.

Heres a solution...Walker will allow you to take their evcs on the cruise but to return them you have to take them back to a orlando area hotel, they dont have pick ups at the port. Maybe.....if someone that was cruising went to the Orlando airport hotel to return it it would work? Pick up there drop off there? Just a thought.
Aimee

Originally posted by chrissyt27

She called Disney and explained our situation and even though they were not responsible they send a mechanic to look at it. And two hours later it was fixed. It was the brake. It was overheating and draining all the power.

chrissy

What brake? Scooters don't have electric brakes. They have mechanical brakes like the hand brake on a car or a foot-activated pedal that either puts the scooter into "free-wheeling" mode or locks it down so it won't roll..... The reason I ask is because my scooter started acting up at EPCOT after a CM pushed it to meet me at the exit of a ride without putting the scooter in free-wheeling mode.... I ended up renting one from CARE Medical while they worked on mine but they were never able to figure out what was wrong with it. When I got home I turned it in to the service department of the medical supply business where I bought it and the darn thing wouldn't repeat the problem, although the technician said it had a VERY low charge on it.... Are you calling the brake the free-wheeling pedal in the back of the scooter? I would like to have the repair shop re-check it if it was because I'm going to WDW in combination with a cruise in May and I would sure not like to repeat your experiences. Although I will have my service dog, he's useless at carrying me around on his back....
Thanks...

I cruise a LOT with my scooter or a scooter. sometimes I take my own but otherwise I rent from scootaround.com and they deliver to the ship and pick up from the ship.
You SHOULD book an accessible room as the scooters are a hazard in the hallways and have had batteries stolen off them etc. It is hard to navigate the halls as it is with the cleaning carts etc without other peoples wheelchairs and scooters in the halls.
How good they are with dealing with disabled and wheelchairs and scooters depends on the line and the itenerary. you may have to Tender into port and that can be a problem.
if you have questions contact me
arwenmark@aol.com

The Disney mechanic said that it was the brake. I don't really know much about the scooters. He just said that the brake and pointed at the rear bottom of the sccoter was overheating and draining the power causing it to go dead much quicker, usually only after 10 minutes of use. I know that it doesn't have a brake pedal, but I assumed that when not in motion that the brake was on. I have no idea though.
we didn't have a handicapped room because there were none available. My aunt didn't have too much trouble in the hallways, but then again she only used the scooter the first 2 days.

chrissy

Originally posted by chrissyt27
The Disney mechanic said that it was the brake. I don't really know much about the scooters. He just said that the brake and pointed at the rear bottom of the sccoter was overheating and draining the power causing it to go dead much quicker, usually only after 10 minutes of use. I know that it doesn't have a brake pedal, but I assumed that when not in motion that the brake was on. I have no idea though.
we didn't have a handicapped room because there were none available. My aunt didn't have too much trouble in the hallways, but then again she only used the scooter the first 2 days.

chrissy

it isn't that she would have trouble in the hallway other than theft, it is that other people do. It is technically against the coast guard regulations to have wheelchairs or scooters parked in the halls. People do it but they are not supposed to.

I had the same kind of problem with scooter not holding a charge on one of my ten night cruises and it was a real bummer it is lucky I had also brought my wheelchair. I also got a complete refund and it was not from Brevard that I rented.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter